Academy...why the special treatment, DCI

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no ties to The Academy and am simply a fan of the activity for 40 years. Having observed The Academy put in 14 hour days over the last few weeks, outdoors in Tempe, AZ., in late June and July, with temperatures well above 105 for most of those hours, I will simply state my opinion that anyone who thinks The Academy has somehow had it easier than other D1 corps who have been conducting full tours during that period ought to spend a few hours at one of these rehearsals and then re-evaluate their opinion. I think physically and mentally, The Academy members are probably going to be harder than nails when hitting the relatively soft climates of other locations, like California in August.

Kudos to the organization's leadership and the members for having the brains and long-range vision to build a corps on a foundation of financial responsibility and strength, as well as performance excellence.

I am curious to see where they'll stack up today in SA. I am confident their placement will be earned and deserved, the result of their hard work; not because of any sort of imagined special treatment.

Oh....I almost forgot: They're r-e-a-l-l-y good, too!

I have no ties to The Academy and am simply a fan of the activity for 40 years. Having observed The Academy put in 14 hour days over the last few weeks, outdoors in Tempe, AZ., in late June and July, with temperatures well above 105 for most of those hours, I will simply state my opinion that anyone who thinks The Academy has somehow had it easier than other D1 corps who have been conducting full tours during that period ought to spend a few hours at one of these rehearsals and then re-evaluate their opinion. I think physically and mentally, The Academy members are probably going to be harder than nails when hitting the relatively soft climates of other locations, like California in August.

Kudos to the organization's leadership and the members for having the brains and long-range vision to build a corps on a foundation of financial responsibility and strength, as well as performance excellence.

I am curious to see where they'll stack up today in SA. I am confident their placement will be earned and deserved, the result of their hard work; not because of any sort of imagined special treatment.

Oh....I almost forgot: They're r-e-a-l-l-y good, too!

No one is arguing how good they are, or how well they may do in San Antonio.

Your description of the schedule Academy is keeping is tempered, in my opinion, by the fact that all the other Div 1 corps are doing the same with another significant disadvantage - they are trying to sleep on busses and gym floors. Don't underestimate the toll this takes against sleeping in the same bed every night, and not having to adjust to different quarters, packing and unpacking every day.

If they are r-e-a-l-l-y good, they would do well today, even starting at the first.

BigBoom - I'm not sure anybody has said that The Academy is not a good drum and bugle corps on the field. Everybody I know has been very impressed with what they have accomplished. It's the special consideration that they seem to get with performance order that is a question. I wonder if any other corps would have been allowed to skip Atlanta if they wanted to. That is mostly what I would be curious about.

For the record, that would apply to both The Academy and Mandarins. It has nothing to do with the quality of their show, members, practice schedules, work ethic, or management. It has everything to do with DCI and whether all corps are being held to the same standard.

Indeed. To suggest performance order contributes to placement is saying that judging is not up to par.

Our difference of opinion lies in what you and others perceive as special treatment and what I see as DCI simply supporting a different model for getting a D1 corps up and running for the long haul. I am quite content to agree to disagree.

Our difference of opinion lies in what you and others perceive as special treatment and what I see as DCI simply supporting a different model for getting a D1 corps up and running for the long haul. I am quite content to agree to disagree.

I have no problem with that as long as they are willing to extend that to every Div I corps. Also, don't go saying that performance order is determined by placements at a particular show when it obviously isn't.

Edited by Tekneek

No one is arguing how good they are, or how well they may do in San Antonio.

Your description of the schedule Academy is keeping is tempered, in my opinion, by the fact that all the other Div 1 corps are doing the same with another significant disadvantage - they are trying to sleep on busses and gym floors. Don't underestimate the toll this takes against sleeping in the same bed every night, and not having to adjust to different quarters, packing and unpacking every day.

If they are r-e-a-l-l-y good, they would do well today, even starting at the first.

That's balogna in my opinion. It does NOT take a toll on the kids to tour, sleep on gym floors, and perform. It is a joy and it is part and parcel to the drum corps experience. The corps on tour are gaining so much in terms of experience in front of live audiences, cameraderie, etc. that can't be replicated during all days. The idea that being on tour is a disadvantage in any way is silly IMO.

Edited by jwscv87

I'm not following your argument about the bulk of the revenue for DCI being raised by Div 1 corps.
Perhaps you would do well to learn a bit more about the activity before joining such a discussion then.

The idea that being on tour is a disadvantage in any way is silly IMO.

Are you serious? We got far more done on non-show and non-travel days. You never lost time to cleaning up the place, never lost sleep to unloading the bus at 3 or 4 AM. Didn't have to unload and reload the truck in the same day...multiple times. Didn't have to get into uniform. There is a tremendous amount of lost time when you are traveling and performing.