Question about Flag Presentation

Vickie, if I'm not mistaken, we got the idea for "clackers" on our rifle straps from you guys when you came East to march in our show in Jersey ... I can still remember our posting cadence as well, and we're in search of someone we know who actually filmed some of our winter guard performances ... what I'd give to see some of our old color pres ...

jo

Listen carefully to the opening 16 counts.....marching tymps with, what's that I hear???? Yep, authentic clackers and flag swooshes (that is if the roar of the audience doesn't drown us out) :ph34r::rolleyes:

Edited by madge82on

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember calling them posting pots! A lot of practice went in to making sure we all posted the flags at the exact same time so it sounded good, did the salute, turned and watched the rifles do their thing where they actually tapped out a tune with their rifles while spinning. Ahh, how I wish there were videos of our shows back then...

Well, not a video, but close... '73/'74 Comp Guard at Leland High School. You can see the "Posting Pots" in a few of them. We had the best, most balanced poles w/pikes from Summer '73 to Winter '74. They were great! Dang, I missed those poles come the Summer when we changed to Fiberglass. *Bleah* :rolleyes:

SCV74Grdcrp1.jpg

SCVGuardcrp2.jpg

SCV74Grdcrp3.jpg

SCV74Grdcrp4.jpg

SCV74Guardmidcrpd.jpg

SCV74GuardCrp6.jpg

And for some reason, I only have one of Kingsemen from that same show...Wish I had more.

KingsmenWinterGuard74.jpg

Edited by MsBusDriver

I found a couple of good shots of the Colors Section moving about the floor during our winter guard drill -- if someone would be so kind as to PM me directions to insert the darn things, I'd appreciate it ...

jo

Edited by JoSaints

Notice the National Colors Section moving behind the flag line -- there's no other flag on the same lateral line, so there's no trailing penalty ... we needed to turn around VERY carefully rotating to our right to allow the Section time to get in place, though!

gallery1-018.jpg

This is coming out of posting -- notice the position of the National Colors ...

gallery1-019.jpg

And here's an example of a color presentation, winter guard style:

gallery7-119.jpg

Thanks, Maggie, for the tech support!

jo

Just a reminder: even after rules were relaxed or dropped regarding color presentations, some corps still included them. For example, Phantom Regiment brought out a national flag to close their field shows in '78 and '79. And, of course, the Troopers almost always included a color-pre even throughout the 1980s.

If you happen to have the Legacy CD from 1979, there is a pretty good shot of the Blue Devils briniging the flag across the field in the opener then placing it in a stanchion, thus allowing the two members who made up the flag party to join the rest of the color guard.

Just a reminder: even after rules were relaxed or dropped regarding color presentations, some corps still included them. For example, Phantom Regiment brought out a national flag to close their field shows in '78 and '79. And, of course, the Troopers almost always included a color-pre even throughout the 1980s.

If you happen to have the Legacy CD from 1979, there is a pretty good shot of the Blue Devils briniging the flag across the field in the opener then placing it in a stanchion, thus allowing the two members who made up the flag party to join the rest of the color guard.

The relaxing of the rules certainly made more possible from a staging perspective -- IMO, though, if there was enough reward from a judging perspective for continuing the tradition, it would still be prevalent ...

jo

And I thought we were the only corps that presented arms in front of Kelly's. We had to, all our instructors were front and center along the parade route with all the other instructors from all the other corps........ Kelly's is a Wildwood and NJ drum corps legend... :beer:

:beer: Yes, in New Jersey Kelly's is the place when in Wildwood for parades, friendships and of course the beer and drinks. It is a tradition for me to go there and no where else. Kelly's is a landmark for Drum Corps people. Our old instructors taught us that. I learned it from my old staff. When I taught I stood and had at fun at Kelly's. Already this summer I have visited Kelly's 3 times. Ps the food is good too!

Kelly's is still a mandatory stop-and-play site along the Wildwood Parade route ... the Elks convention is a big draw for senior / all-age / alum corps, and always gets good play in the DCA forum on DCP for those who'd like more info on the Kelly traditions B)

:laugh: All the corps know when you get to Kelly's play. Too bad Park City was not told to play when they marched in the AL states parade this year. I know they will do it next year.And if you can not march the whole way during the parade you get in or get out at Kelly's lol.

I just had to post this here...

mommywhatsthat.jpg

Great picture. The new Drum Corps generation will get to see what an Honor Guard reallly looks like and it is an Honor to carrying in this section. I carried the American Flag my very first year of marching in 1972. You could never see the drill but you knew when it was time for colors. You parked and waited.

I'm not sure how this relates to guarding the colors (if at all), but flagpoles the guards carried were not just flag "poles"....they were "pikes". Pikes are (were) an infantry weapon like a lance (6'-10' long).

I know our pikes had a conical (pointed...but not sharp) "ornamental" top portion that was a piece machined from solid aluminum - you did NOT want to get hit with those during flag manuevers...

:doh::laugh: Our flag poles were heavy and two pieces. They tried to cut them down but I still had one snap in half during NJ finals at the Old Convention center in Wildwood. Caused a penalty but what could I do. It just snapped in half.

Our old poles had a spear like top piece. the American Flag pole was the longest of course.

And were they heavy poles andwhen you put one of the special flags on it with all the frindge and weight you were sure to blow over on a windy parade.

:P The Yankee Rebels take their Honor Guard very serious. Great group of older men and women. They truly have won many parades with their display of colors.

Thus the aforementioned duct tape...some high schools were so touchy about their gym floors...go figure :doh:

Who remember's presentation pots...I remember BD hooking flash bulb to their's in the hope that it would set off a flash when the pike was slammed into the pot....pretty cool actually.

:laugh: No hard sole boots so hence the tape on the soles . And I remember posting the colors. The show would stop to post , post, salute , salute again then retrieve you equipment if you were a flag and then move on and finish. Those days were fun. I think in South Jersey we just called them posts. But they were heavy. I guess that is where they came up with the patio umbrellas stands so they stay upright.

B) This forum bought back many memories. Thank you everyone for sharing.

It was an honor being in the honor guard.

When we assembled out junior corps we did a July 4th parade in Philadelphia during the Desert Storm hype and I called a guard equipment guy for supplies (an old drum corps person) he had notes on the American Flag sections of everyone in the parade and he complimented us on the size and order of our section. You see I remembered everything from my Jr days carrying the American Flag. Somethings do come back for a reason. That man would be George Miller (RIP) of the Miller rifle fame . His company in New Jersey is now run by his son George Jr.Miller and Sons.

Edited by beagus

Thus the aforementioned duct tape...some high schools were so touchy about their gym floors...go figure :huh:

Who remember's presentation pots...I remember BD hooking flash bulb to their's in the hope that it would set off a flash when the pike was slammed into the pot....pretty cool actually.

Just to illustrate for those that may not have ever seen posting pots.

SagsGuardMarch19716.jpg

Here is a link to a pre dci show 1970. Many have seen it already in a different post. Quality is not very good, but you can get an idea of what guards did. Of special note: you can notice that no section could be ahead of the honor guard and as they marched downfield in this video there is a point where they do a wheel to face the stands so as to put the corps behind them and after some maneuvering continue downfield to set up for the upcoming color presentation. ( I believe the rifles were originally part of the honor guard and were allowed to precede the flag on the field. )

Also on the fantastic pictures of SCV rifle line earlier, a few posts back, notice they are full carbines. Complete with steel barrel, steel breach and painted oak stock. You didn't want to arm wrestle a rifle from back in those days!

Here's the link to the 1970 show. It's the Brookhaven show for those that have seen it and want to skip it.

Edited by Martybucs

Well, not a video, but close... '73/'74 Comp Guard at Leland High School. You can see the "Posting Pots" in a few of them. We had the best, most balanced poles w/pikes from Summer '73 to Winter '74. They were great! Dang, I missed those poles come the Summer when we changed to Fiberglass. *Bleah* :rolleyes:

Beautiful photos, Maggie! (And yes, I hated fiberglass, too. "Bleah" is right! I certainly don't miss pulling fiberglass splinters out of my fingers and palms.)

It's interesting, because I'm an American but never carried the American flag. However, Oakland had a parade of some sort right before our May camp in '79. I had just arrived in Toronto, so they had me carry the Canadian flag in that parade. In some ways, I found that far more difficult than doing actual guard work because you can't move at all!

Edited by byline