Young Screamers

CorpsBuff

I believe the "kid" from Carolina Gold was Paul Rowe of Future Corps fame.

Not sure.....I think this kid said he would be marching Rochester Crusaders this year.....real nice kid, and one that respects those 'screamers' and soloists that came before him.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your a trumpet player trapped in a a t-bone body.

I thought you were a lesbian

:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...
But screaming is not just playing high. You need a horn that you can put a *lot* of air through. The standard bore Yamaha Xeno is a fine horn, but it is not built for screaming. Frankly, it is painful to watch and listen to a line of 20 guys blowing their brains out trying to force air through those things. It's not the horn's fault - it just isn't meant to be played that way. There are other horns out there that might be more suitable.

i totally agree the yamaha xeno models i marched with last summer were alright horns up till around the C/D range then they really cut off sound and thin out your tone.

No, I just find trumpet players that are overly concerned with range have a tendency to be bad musicians. If not bad, then just incredibly immature.

i'm overly concerned with trumpet range... i guess you should tell Indiana university that i'm a bad musician and should kick me out... i understand where your coming from with the the "squeek out high note" method or the "hey guys i almost got that note" i think the real reason why there aren't any young screamers anymore is b/c in this day and age trumpet players rely on goofy shananigins to help them play high ( ie mouthpieces horns weird lip settings and what not) when really all they need to do is focus harder on practicing the to obtain AND SOUND GOOD while playing high notes. i think many trumpet players forget that while playing high notes are really cool and really awesome music is still about the sound and if it doesn't sound good it shouldn't be done. i think its great that kids are interested in becoming better players and trying to obtain the ability to have control over the upper register i don't think there is anything wrong with that but i do agree that there shouldn't be a line of 20 kids who "almost" have a few high notes and are told to play them together.

:thumbup:

No ####! When did she sneak that one past me? I didn't even see it when she first posted it.

edited: never mind, I saw that I commented on it originally... :tongue:

Edited by SaraNYC

The whole "you need to move tons of air" mantra for upper register playing is false. The higher you play, less air enters the instrument.

But you still need it to support your sound.

i'm overly concerned with trumpet range... i guess you should tell Indiana university that i'm a bad musician and should kick me out... i understand where your coming from with the the "squeek out high note" method or the "hey guys i almost got that note" i think the real reason why there aren't any young screamers anymore is b/c in this day and age trumpet players rely on goofy shananigins to help them play high ( ie mouthpieces horns weird lip settings and what not) when really all they need to do is focus harder on practicing the to obtain AND SOUND GOOD while playing high notes. i think many trumpet players forget that while playing high notes are really cool and really awesome music is still about the sound and if it doesn't sound good it shouldn't be done. i think its great that kids are interested in becoming better players and trying to obtain the ability to have control over the upper register i don't think there is anything wrong with that but i do agree that there shouldn't be a line of 20 kids who "almost" have a few high notes and are told to play them together.

Ah, a fellow IU person. Who's teaching trumpet there these days? Have you had a lesson with Bill Adam yet?

Not sure.....I think this kid said he would be marching Rochester Crusaders this year.....real nice kid, and one that respects those 'screamers' and soloists that came before him.

He is also playing with Ghost Riders...

• 2 weeks later...

(vferrera @ Jul 19 2007, 09:56 PM) *

But screaming is not just playing high. You need a horn that you can put a *lot* of air through. The standard bore Yamaha Xeno is a fine horn, but it is not built for screaming. Frankly, it is painful to watch and listen to a line of 20 guys blowing their brains out trying to force air through those things. It's not the horn's fault - it just isn't meant to be played that way. There are other horns out there that might be more suitable.

i totally agree the yamaha xeno models i marched with last summer were alright horns up till around the C/D range then they really cut off sound and thin out your tone.

I don't know - Roland Garceau seems to scream just fine on his Xeno.