Young Screamers

CorpsBuff

You don't hear too many women that play in the upper register that well on high brass, Never understood why. Barbara Prugh, comes to mind as an excellent example of a pro trumpet with some serious chops in Delaware Valley

I don't know why either. I never gave a thought to being female and playing high but it certainly seems to be rare. Thank you for the compliment, Marty!

In keeping with the "young screamers" topic, I still don't see that many younger women playing soprano/trumpet in the high register. There are some great female players in the mid-section and low brass and more consummate female players in DCI than our generation perhaps but screaming still seems to be a man's game.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tiffany Carrico with the Renegades is a top notch upper lead player. Not a soloist, but she's out there marching and hitting those high notes. We had another chick in the lead line this season too - I'm not sure if she played upper or lower lead.

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion... for what it's worth, the screaming went away with the G bugles, now that B flat horns are used, are they still really drum and BUGLE corps? if certain people had their way, DCI would allow woodwinds, I believe that would be a shame.

A horn line consisting of all G bugles sounds a lot different than those consisting of B flat horns, you don't get that "peel the chrome off the bell" sound any more.

In my opinion... for what it's worth, the screaming went away with the G bugles, now that B flat horns are used, are they still really drum and BUGLE corps? if certain people had their way, DCI would allow woodwinds, I believe that would be a shame.

A horn line consisting of all G bugles sounds a lot different than those consisting of B flat horns, you don't get that "peel the chrome off the bell" sound any more.

I thought the same thing, but when I discovered that there was a corps that still "kept it real" on Bb horns, I left Phantom and went there.

Check out Madison 07 (from what I hear, it's even more sick this year). BD been doing a good job with it. For a little bit Cadets had it going.

Edited by MelloHorn13

Kind of off topic, but a couple of years ago after a show, I heard an instructor from Spirit piercing my ears with his soaring way above staff . I didn't get his name, but thought he might be with SCV now. He's a bit heavy set and seemed like a very nice guy. Anyone know of whom I am speaking?

• 2 weeks later...

Renegades have often been known for our whaling double c lead soprano sounds, but we've also been a victim of our own flaws. We've only had few occasions when five to seven players have been able to play in tune unified double c's, but when it happend it was the sweetest sound of all. Let me note that again, FIVE to SEVEN players playing unified double c's in tune. crazy.

On the other hand, I noticed that our method of high note screaming has always been about power and loudness. It probably comes from the nature of the G bugles. At times, I feel like I'm setting myself up for a raging battle in the midst of an eighteen hundred civil war epic. Which is probably why screaming is so cool. It daunts the enemy, it scares the bejeesuz out of the crowd, and it helps to relieve our daily stress from our office space. If we were back in the days of chariots and gladiators or kings and queens, then I'd say modern day buglars would've done some good harm.

But we don't live in those days anymore. We live in the days of Chris Botti, Wynton, and Schlueter. No one seems to be bothered with the lack of intensity that the ancient time buglars brought to the battle fields or how the horn players shut off the screaming crowd at the Roman Colosium. It's probably because individualism is so much more important to modern day artists than team dominance. That's how artists get paid, right? Because of their name value.

Strength is a big factor when it comes to our organization and I am glad to see the rising of young screamers like Dave Vasquez from SoCal and all the other young'uns from youtube. We may never become the money making hot shots with gigs all around the world with our horns, but to us all common man with all sorts of colored collars strengh is all we need.

Thanks for listening.

k2blastoff

2002-2008 SF Renegades

p.s. screaming chicks are cool. let's get some more in the tally.

• 2 weeks later...
What happened to them? Nintendo, Playstation, X-box, HBO and MTV happened to them.

hey, that's not fair! plenty of us are not video game junkies and are still very committed to music! :thumbup:

I thought the same thing, but when I discovered that there was a corps that still "kept it real" on Bb horns, I left Phantom and went there.

Check out Madison 07 (from what I hear, it's even more sick this year). BD been doing a good job with it. For a little bit Cadets had it going.

I know this is going to stir up some emotion, but as long as George Hopkins is in the picture, the Cadets will never have it going on, this is in no way a reflection on the kids in the "corps", just my opinion of their "director".