Young Screamers

CorpsBuff

Yup, LOVE THEM.

But why aren't their kids following in their footsteps?

It's hard; it takes lots of practice (to do it and sound good); it can hurt.

With very few exceptions, a good sounding, usable, high register, (not just sliding around and shaking notes up there), is NOT an instant gratification type of thing.

Some embouchure set ups can yield almost an instant high register, but it tends to be shrill and brittle; few players can actually articulate when using this method. Lots of players use a high range embouchure, you can see them hit double Cs by the bucketful on YouTube. Caution: it's not pretty.

Fortunately, most brass staff have the sense to say, "that's cool, we'll see if we maybe, can fit it in.' 'We'll get back to you."

Edited by Martybucs

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The screamers?

They're all busy making short YouTube videos of themselves hitting high notes and trying to play along with Maynard records.

Ever seen those? They're hilarious, at least for a couple of minutes. They take forever to get ready, they wind up, and then they hit a double C, usually, put the horn down, overly satisfied with themselves and then shut the camera off, so as to say, "so there!"

you mean like these guys?

(nice instruments all over the place BTW...)

Or this guy, who found a nice resonating garage: "oh...hi!"

Or this kid:

You're right... they are hysterical. :P

Honestly?

i can only take so much maynard before i just have to shut it off.

a nice, clean, in-tune, well-placed exposed high note is one thing, but as far as i'm concerned the instrument just isn't a musical one when it's up in the exosphere. I kind of get the same way with violin concertos. if the part is so high that even professional soloists can't really nail all the pitches all the time... why are you even writing that high?

There's screamers out there. Todays arrangers just don't write for them

I'm a "screamer" but march 3rd my ageout year b/c the parts didn't really call for any extremely high notes. Even though the lead sop book this past summer was crazy, it had to be done with style and blend to had the desired effect.

There's screamers out there. Todays arrangers just don't write for them

I'm a "screamer" but march 3rd my ageout year b/c the parts didn't really call for any extremely high notes. Even though the lead sop book this past summer was crazy, it had to be done with style and blend to had the desired effect.

Well you went to the right corps, but played the wrong show IMO.

Honestly?

i can only take so much maynard before i just have to shut it off.

a nice, clean, in-tune, well-placed exposed high note is one thing, but as far as i'm concerned the instrument just isn't a musical one when it's up in the exosphere. I kind of get the same way with violin concertos. if the part is so high that even professional soloists can't really nail all the pitches all the time... why are you even writing that high?

What violin concertos are you talking about? I've never heard any concertmasters flubbing notes on some of the hardest pieces on any recording or live performances I've heard, so I'm curious as to what you're talking about.

By the way, screamers suck, go practice

What violin concertos are you talking about? I've never heard any concertmasters flubbing notes on some of the hardest pieces on any recording or live performances I've heard, so I'm curious as to what you're talking about.

By the way, screamers suck, go practice

Since this is a Brass forum about Drum Corps and Since most of the people here are not talking about people who :marched" in Drum Corps. I will take it in a little different direction.

I marched with Jeff Kievit in the Muchachos. I have not heard anyone since who could play as loud, in tune and with the range not only across the musical scale, but with the articulation and accuracy of playing that has been since replicated in Drum Corps.

Not to say there were not other soloists who were not exceptional, but I think Jeffrey was in a class by himself.

As for screamers, we had one guy in Muchachos who all he could do is scream. We used him on one note. Screamers for screamers sake suck.

I marched with Jeff Kievit in the Muchachos. I have not heard anyone since who could play as loud, in tune and with the range not only across the musical scale, but with the articulation and accuracy of playing that has been since replicated in Drum Corps.

If you have access to the soundtrack from "Ragtime", he is one of the trumpet players on it. He was in the pit when I saw the show in NYC.

I apologize to drum corps fans if I think trumpets sound better like this..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-6u22A_Xy2E

Than like this..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uKfSNnDIsZk

Like, can you seriously not realize how disgusting that sounds? That's a middle school tone at best.

By the way, this guy is really #### good!

If he doesn't get gigs, well then...####. Good idiomatic sound, great approach it seems. Granted he's just playing loud and high, he could be terrible, but I can just tell by his tone that he's better than all these other jokers I've seen on youtube, or people I've beaten in auditions....

PS: I just want to make it completely clear that I'm not trying to make some kind of "classical playing VS jazz playing" argument when it comes to approach to playing. No way am I of that school of thought, before someone accuses me of being a classical snob or something nutty like that.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach