Question for Music Education Majors

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since so many of you seem to be Music Majors, I was just wondering if any of you can recommend good schools? My son is looking at Miami University in Ohio and really likes it but we want to look at some more. He likes programs with the Education classes in the Music Department (some have all the Education classes through the Education Department), he MUST have a Marching Band and he really doesn't like the really large campuses. Any info would be greatly appreciated! :P

Check out West Chester University - they have a marching band and a very successful track record getting thier Music Ed kids certified and employed in the field when they graduate. They also currently have a number of kids marching in several corps. You can check them out at http://www.wcupa.edu

Good luck!

Having taught in public school and on the faculty of a couple different universities in Ohio, there are many more questions that you need to address. After graduation, where does your son want to teach? I ask this because most students end up accepting their first job within two hours of their last collegiate experience. This is mostly due to a few items: networking in the area helps you find those jobs, the college has a good reputation in the area, and local talent is usually appreciated more and questioned less than oustiders moving into the area.

If you are set on having him attend an Ohio university with a corps style marching band, I would recommend University of Akron, Bowling Green State, or Miami of Ohio, all in that order. Although I will note, I have found that it doesnt matter which university you attend; a hard-working student will accel at whatever field they choose after gradution, provided they put in the time during their matriculation at college.

In terms of other schools that are "close" to you, I would recommend Indiana Univesity, Morehead State Univesity, and Ball State University. If you are open to universities that are more than a few hours away, then that presents a much larger picture. With the final analysis of this, it really comes down to the student. Even the best-intended and motivated student has difficulty in particular universities and programs. I always recommend parents speak with the university, find out what classes are needed, talk to professors, and find out what living conditions are like. This is an important decsision in his life--in two years, you will know for certain whether it was the right decision or not. Proper prior planning and inquiry will help eliminate a great deal of unnecessary headaches in the future.

Elmo Blatch

(Edited to note that I neither attended or taught at any of the colleges recommended--I am not being a homer, just offering advice)

Edited by Elmo Blatch

In my opinion, Indiana University and CCM are the two best schools in the area. However, both are larger than Miami or Bowling Green State.

While CCM may be one of the top programs in the country for Music Performance, it isnt in the top ten in Ohio for Music Education. Indiana on the other hand has a tremendous record of both.

Elmo Blatch

Since so many of you seem to be Music Majors, I was just wondering if any of you can recommend good schools? My son is looking at Miami University in Ohio and really likes it but we want to look at some more. He likes programs with the Education classes in the Music Department (some have all the Education classes through the Education Department), he MUST have a Marching Band and he really doesn't like the really large campuses. Any info would be greatly appreciated! :P

Jacksonville State University!

The music education program at JSU is one of the best in the southeast.

The Marching Southerners are one of the top marching bands in the southeast (and I'd stack them up to anyone in the country!!)

Another good thing about JSU is that they are very open to considering scholarships for excellent musicians.

In addition, it isn't a large school. I'm guessing that they may have somewhere around 8-9,000 students. Everyone at the university, especially everyone in the music department is very friendly and helpful. The academic experience is much like being at a much smaller school, with the level of attention that students seem to get.

The University's slogan is "The friendliest campus in the south" and they live up to it.

Check out Youngstown State University. The Dana School of Music is one of the best in the state. It's a hidden gem, state school low tuition, yet has a nationally reknowned reputation and has produced a long list of alumni who have gone on to have professional playing and teaching careers (Sean Jones - current lead trumpet with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra)

1. Cleveland Institute of Music

2. CCM

3. Oberlin

4. YSU

5. Baldwin-Wallace

6. Miami

7. The Ohio State U

8. Ohio Univ

9. Capital

10. BGSU

11. Akron

12. Kent State

Just to clarify - looking beyond the marching band factor when recommending the above institutions - really the best marching "education" or how to teach corps style marching bands is to march with a corps and soak it all up - most college marching bands have a bit of a more relaxed "where's the beer" attitude and most college professors (other than the band directors) think marching band is a huge waste of time.

Edited by derek334

Check out West Chester University - they have a marching band and a very successful track record getting thier Music Ed kids certified and employed in the field when they graduate. They also currently have a number of kids marching in several corps. You can check them out at http://www.wcupa.edu

Good luck!

I second that choice! We also just opened a brand new, state-of-the-art music building in January. The campus is small, and is within driving distance of Philly.

The Marching Southerners are one of the top marching bands in the southeast (and I'd stack them up to anyone in the country!!)

I accept your challenge!

The University of Texas at Arlington:

No football team = corps style shows:

http://www.uta.edu/music/band/mbsounds.html

If you are looking to be a music teacher, you must consider the University of Houston. While I did not attend the college myself, I am considering it for graduate school as it is on the cutting edge for music educational concepts among any school in the country.

I would suggest going to www.uh.edu, check out the school, listen to some recordings of their ensembles and read up on their professors. UH truly is a hidden gem, in my opinion.