Question for Music Education Majors

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out Youngstown State University. The Dana School of Music is one of the best in the state. It's a hidden gem, state school low tuition, yet has a nationally reknowned reputation and has produced a long list of alumni who have gone on to have professional playing and teaching careers (Sean Jones - current lead trumpet with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra)

1. Cleveland Institute of Music

2. CCM

3. Oberlin

4. YSU

5. Baldwin-Wallace

6. Miami

7. The Ohio State U

8. Ohio Univ

9. Capital

10. BGSU

11. Akron

12. Kent State

Just to clarify - looking beyond the marching band factor when recommending the above institutions - really the best marching "education" or how to teach corps style marching bands is to march with a corps and soak it all up - most college marching bands have a bit of a more relaxed "where's the beer" attitude and most college professors (other than the band directors) think marching band is a huge waste of time.

I would agree with all of those choices for performance schools, and mostly in that order. I would not make that same list for Music Education. There is a great deal to look at when purusing a Music Education degree. In most cases, even the most well-known pedagogists are not going to help you find a job in the field. Music Education professors look very diligently to help their students find jobs. As a matter of fact, the list for Music Education in Ohio would look a little more like this. When you hear that a certain person got the new position at a certain school and you say "man, it seems like there are a lot of people coming out of that school," there is a good reason why: their professors look very diligently for placement for their graduates.

1. Akron

2. Bowling Green

3. Miami (OH)

4. The Ohio State University

5. Youngstown State

6. Capital

7. Ohio University

8. Kent State

9. Baldwin Wallace

10. Mount Union College

11. University of Dayton

12. Toledo

11. Mount Union

12. Ohio Northern

13. Tiffin

14. CCM

15. Ashland

16. Malone

17. Muskingum

18. Wright State

19. Cleveland Institute

20. Ohio Wesleyan

I do not know one person who has come out of the CIM and is teaching public school, but I bet I can name three to five from every other college on that list.

Elmo Blatch

Someone mentioned my alma mater, West Chester. EXCELLENT choice, both for the quality of the Music Ed program AND the quality of instrumental instruction. I went to school with the current trumpet professor there, Matt Gallagher. A finer trumpet player you will not hear, especially in jazz. The placement rate for WCU Music Ed grauates is phenominal. Plus it is a major music program in a small town world (not to mention the new state-of-the-art music building and concert hall that opened this year). I think they also have a marching band :rolleyes::ph34r::blink:

I am sure that they would be more than happy to speak with you about their program. www.wcupa.edu

Additionally, if memory serves, there is an intercollegiate marching festival held every year in and around Allentown where you will see SEVERAL of the area's top college marching bands. Definately worth checking out!

I would agree with all of those choices for performance schools, and mostly in that order. I would not make that same list for Music Education. There is a great deal to look at when purusing a Music Education degree. In most cases, even the most well-known pedagogists are not going to help you find a job in the field. Music Education professors look very diligently to help their students find jobs. As a matter of fact, the list for Music Education in Ohio would look a little more like this. When you hear that a certain person got the new position at a certain school and you say "man, it seems like there are a lot of people coming out of that school," there is a good reason why: their professors look very diligently for placement for their graduates.

1. Akron

2. Bowling Green

3. Miami (OH)

4. The Ohio State University

5. Youngstown State

6. Capital

7. Ohio University

8. Kent State

9. Baldwin Wallace

10. Mount Union College

11. University of Dayton

12. Toledo

11. Mount Union

12. Ohio Northern

13. Tiffin

14. CCM

15. Ashland

16. Malone

17. Muskingum

18. Wright State

19. Cleveland Institute

20. Ohio Wesleyan

I do not know one person who has come out of the CIM and is teaching public school, but I bet I can name three to five from every other college on that list.

Elmo Blatch

I also know that some of the best bands in the Cincinnati area are directed by graduates of CCM.

If you want to get a little out of the area, consider Colorado State University. They have the finest marching and music ed program in the Mountain West Conference, are in a smaller city in Fort Collins, CO, are in great proximity to the mountains, and right between the Trooper north in Wyoming and Blue Knight south in Denver.

If you want to get a little out of the area, consider Colorado State University. They have the finest marching and music ed program in the Mountain West Conference, are in a smaller city in Fort Collins, CO, are in great proximity to the mountains, and right between the Trooper north in Wyoming and Blue Knight south in Denver.

They are actually on his list but they are soooo far away :( I'm going to let him go check it out though. He loves to fish, snow ski, dive, etc. so I know that he would fall in love with Colorado......which is why I get sad :(

Just to clarify - looking beyond the marching band factor when recommending the above institutions - really the best marching "education" or how to teach corps style marching bands is to march with a corps and soak it all up - most college marching bands have a bit of a more relaxed "where's the beer" attitude and most college professors (other than the band directors) think marching band is a huge waste of time.

OSU notable exception.

A school where you can tell an attractive female you're in the school's marching band [and she thinks that's impressive] is always good in my book. :P

Capital is really close to me, as is OSU. I don't know much about other music colleges... Univ. of Cinci has a decent one, i'm told, but i'm unimpressed with the bearcat band.

My vote goes for IU and CCM. I don't know that much about CCM, but I looked into IU quite a bit and only decided to go to school somewhere else at the last minute. Indiana University's Jacobs School of Music is fantastic. Faculty, facilities, just about everything is top-notch.

Of course, choosing a college is a decision that cannot be taken lightly: the best college isn't always the best fit.

I also know that some of the best bands in the Cincinnati area are directed by graduates of CCM.

Best bands in Cincinnati?......now thats funny. Just kidding.