The Forgotten years...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1994 Glassmen....just a fun show to listen to. Gets swallowed up in the 93 show that got them into Finals, and the 95 show that marked the transition to "serious" literature.

I put 1994 Glassmen as one of my "Top 15-20 shows of all time to enjoy in the car". :)

Crown '99 and '00

Scouts '04

Troopers '02

Bluecoats 1995 "Homefront: 1945" show had the crowd on its feet at the end of America the Beautiful/I'll Be Seeing You (Iwo Jima tribute) and about 16 counts before the end of the show. Powerful and emotional.

I will have to agree with 95 Bluecoats! what a show!

Another to the list is if you can check it out.......Dutchboy 88! freaking got robbed by SkyRyders... but it was close.

Edited by DCM

We all know the best shows in drum corps - star '91, '93, Cavies '95, SCV'89, Cadets '00, Phantom '96, Suncoast '88, Spirit '80, etc. - and everyone always talks about them using them as the standard against which new shows are put against.

What about all of the other shows?

seeing as the years I marched - '04, and '06 - are slated to go down in history as fantastically mediocre years for The Cadets, I got to wondering about all of those shows that no one ever talks about. The "off" years, the "rebuilding" years, the years that just didnt work for some reason. Then there are the shows that are overshadowed by the years surrounding them...or the shows that got swallowed up by other great shows that year.

What is your favorite forgotten show? Why do think it has been largely forgotten or not discussed?

I'll start -

Cadets '88 - Copland's 3rd Symphony....I guess I really dont know why this show is passed up so much. I suppose it could be because one of the greatest shows in history preceded it in '87, and '89 was an emotional highlight of the decade. The show seems well constructed in much the same manner as the '87 show.

I've heard there was a lot of turnover from the year before, so maybe the talent just wasnt there or something..

That was a wonderful show. With all the "Fanfare for the Common Man themes" It was just sandwiched between two really good shows '87 & '89.

Actually, it's the first show I thought of when you started this thread. Also, Garfield '86 comes to mind.

I think '91 is the only modern Cadets show I have never seen...I wonder what went wrong that year?

My take is that a lot of people must have aged out from '90.

Also, Garfield was on a major American compser kick at that time. I remember hearing George Hopkins say that THAT is what music they play in 1992...

In 1991, they wanted to educate the students on modern, 20th century, American composers, which happens to be a lot of minimalistic music....

I don't think it went over well with the judges or the crowds, but I do know that I thought they still rocked!