Phantom Regiment's 6th place finish

Poll  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Phantom Regiment's 6th place finish at the Southwestern Championships?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YES I agree. I feel that the top 5 have maintained their level of advancement where PR and SCV have started to stagnate due to design issues.

PR was 3rd in brass tonight (I had them 5th) and 1st in percussion (and they are they best in percussion)> Those are both execution captions ... Ensemble and GE are just not there. Whether you're talking Visual or Music, the show is quite dirty and out of control at this point.

it's total crap. i know it's not very helpful to just say "phantom is amazing," and leave it at that, but it's the truth. the music is wonderful, the drill is, from what i hear, challenging, and they're pretty much always on the move (unlike bd and cavies :/) ... it's just nonsense.

crown was good. coats were good. phantom is better. period. i don't know why phantom keeps getting slammed when the corps ahead of them play easier parts while standing still... it's a travesty.

I don't think it is design issues with PR at all... unless the show was designed too difficult for the members.

I absolutely love their show. The way all the pieces fit together is amazing. I think they are just struggling to pull it off right now... especially in the visual department. There are so many things they do outside of the "just marching and playing realm" that are really exposed.

I really hope they can clean it up. I appreciate what they are trying to do immensely.

YES I agree. I feel that the top 5 have maintained their level of advancement where PR and SCV have started to stagnate due to design issues.

PR was 3rd in brass tonight (I had them 5th) and 1st in percussion (and they are they best in percussion)> Those are both execution captions ... Ensemble and GE are just not there. Whether you're talking Visual or Music, the show is quite dirty and out of control at this point.

The show is hardly out of control. I'm not arguing that their placement is wrong, however, their show has great potential and the season is not over yet.

Not only do I agree, but I think its probably where they should have been weeks ago. Crown and Bluecoats have much better designed shows and are performing them at a higher level. In fact, the spread should be wider.

As far as out of control, I know there are differing schools of thought on this but I think Phantom's brass is often out of control. They pass the line from loud and full into ugly during several parts of their show.

Also, SCV surprised me tonight, so Phantom's slip may not be over.

Edited by TXMystreaux

I don't think it is design issues with PR at all... unless the show was designed too difficult for the members.

I absolutely love their show. The way all the pieces fit together is amazing. I think they are just struggling to pull it off right now... especially in the visual department. There are so many things they do outside of the "just marching and playing realm" that are really exposed.

I really hope they can clean it up. I appreciate what they are trying to do immensely.

They do have SOME design issues and transition problems. Check out the review section for full details based on "MY HUMBLE OPINION".

The show is hardly out of control. I'm not arguing that their placement is wrong, however, their show has great potential and the season is not over yet.

I guess it all depends on your perspective. Again, I'll site my review for better detail but control is an issue for PR at this point. THey probably have more POWER and PASSION than any other show on the field this year ... but it's a bit wild at this point... and it's late in the game. Like I've said elsewhere ... they're in good shape for a late season tear .. but it could be slipping away from them. All depends on how they handle the next week.

So here's the deal... I am not a fan of the Phantom Regiment. I will start with that, however that aside, every year they put out shows that I like whether or not I would like to admit it. This year's show in my top 10 least favorite of all time. (from a consistant top corps that is). Seriously, I hate it. I even went into seeing the show with an extremely positive attitude thinking I was going to really enjoy what I saw based on their musical selections.

Sorry if I just committed a DCP sin, but that is only my opinion. I'm not saying you should all agree.