Phantom Regiment's 6th place finish

Poll  

364 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Phantom Regiment's 6th place finish at the Southwestern Championships?

• Yes
    • No

alright, i do need to clarify some things. i should have done it last night, but i was tired and i wasn't thinking straight from seeing 6th and 7th place -_-

i have seen phantom and crown and bd and cadets, at the dallas show (and i'm going to see vanguard and coats and cavies today in denton), so yes, i have seen phantom's show live. i made that "i hear their drill is challenging" comment because, while i did see them live, i was tunnel-visioning on the battery, so i didn't catch much else :)

which brings me to my next point: i don't have a perfect memory, but from what i remember, phantom was pretty much running for 11 minutes. bd on the other hand, last night's first place finish, spent... oh... WAY TOO MUCH TIME standing still while playing. it was entirely too much, plain and simple. i can understand slowing down for more technical passages, but it was too much, and there's no way pegasus is THAT much harder than 1000 airplanes.

on phantom versus crown: like i said, crown's show was good. i liked it. i would place it close to phantom, even, but not above. i WAS watching crown's drill last i saw them, and even getting the full effect of it did not impress me as much as just watching phantom run.

now, did execution hurt phantom and scv last night? maybe, i wasn't there, and i won't act like phantom never makes a mistake. but i find it ex-treme-ly hard to believe that last year's second place got beat by a corps whose highest finals placement ever was, what, 7th? it's phantom... yes they make mistakes, but so do all the other kids in all the other corps. there were phasing and timing problems with crown when i saw them. unless half of pr went crazy, i literally just cannot imagine what would put a show like that, being performed by some of the best musicians in the world, behind a show with high school music being performed by kids who knew when they signed up they were going into a 9thish place corps.

SUMMARY:

i have seen phantom and crown. unless half of pr was sick last night, i honestly just cannot understand how the scores came out like that. really and truly, i'm trying to imagine it, and i'm just imaging how much more i liked phantom over crown (and bd for that matter.)

Edited by Kekkles

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, as probably the worlds MOST dedicated PR Phan in the NE, I am really looking at Regiment's performance(s) since Allentown, when I saw it live ( compared to YouTube, DCP Forums, personal conversations w/those attending shows thereafter) that Regiment is reall having difficulty with the "bird" theme... As good as the music is, how can it be effectively conveyed in 10 yrds in 11 minutes ?

I said this way back in early June the ballad is tooooooo long, and the transition into siggestion has been changed several times already. If "IU" can hear these on a PC via tiny speakers -- the dissonance must be blaring in the judges ears. It's evident in the visual scores, especially GE where they are really suffereing. The drill IS demanding -- VERY, but the members are up to it IMHO. Their marching was great in A-Town, and they took feet that night but I am really, REALLY skeptical, for THE FIRST TIME IN MY 28 yr love affair with Regiment that they can clean as much as they have to with Finals only 3 weeks away! Looking at their on-line schedule, ythey only have 7 full rehearsal days aside from the remaining 6-7 shows they have.

If there are to be changes made, THEY BETTER MAKE THEM SOON (RE: different guard costuming, those black palettes on the field, the sloppy marching & tighten this beast up! IT DOES HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO WIN, but do they have enuff time?

You're thoughts?

I liked the second outfit the guard used last night (it was all white and had a large chevron on the front). Make that the principal outfit for the show and don't use anything else. The current guard outfits get lost on the field for the majority of the show.

alright, i do need to clarify some things. i should have done it last night, but i was tired and i wasn't thinking straight from seeing 6th and 7th place -_-

i have seen phantom and crown and bd and cadets, at the dallas show (and i'm going to see vanguard and coats and cavies today in denton), so yes, i have seen phantom's show live. i made that "i hear their drill is challenging" comment because, while i did see them live, i was tunnel-visioning on the battery, so i didn't catch much else :)

which brings me to my next point: i don't have a perfect memory, but from what i remember, phantom was pretty much running for 11 minutes. bd on the other hand, last night's first place finish, spent... oh... WAY TOO MUCH TIME standing still while playing. it was entirely too much, plain and simple. i can understand slowing down for more technical passages, but it was too much, and there's no way pegasus is THAT much harder than 1000 airplanes.

on phantom versus crown: like i said, crown's show was good. i liked it. i would place it close to phantom, even, but not above. i WAS watching crown's drill last i saw them, and even getting the full effect of it did not impress me as much as just watching phantom run.

now, did execution hurt phantom and scv last night? maybe, i wasn't there, and i won't act like phantom never makes a mistake. but i find it ex-treme-ly hard to believe that last year's second place got beat by a corps whose highest finals placement ever was, what, 7th? it's phantom... yes they make mistakes, but so do all the other kids in all the other corps. there were phasing and timing problems with crown when i saw them. unless half of pr went crazy, i literally just cannot imagine what would put a show like that, being performed by some of the best musicians in the world, behind a show with high school music being performed by kids who knew when they signed up they were going into a 9thish place corps.

<**> <**>

I don't know where to begin here, so I won't even start...

Edited by dciguy01

I could care less where they place, as long as it is fair, and last night seemed fair.

You know, after 89, there was so much pressure on PR to win the title, actualy after 87....and the they fell (placement ) short but think about it, were 88, and 90 failures ?? I happen to love 1990 much better than 89 and dont consider that placement a "failure" , after 91 they were the buzz to take it all then fell to 8th in 1992, thats one of my favorite shows of all time. Sure, world champion is nice, but respect, admiration and fond memories of past shows dont automaticaly come with the title.

~G~

Speaking as someone who was actually AT the show last night:

Yes, Crown beat Phantom fair and square. I didn't even WANT them to...but I knew as soon as both had performed. There was no question.

As I stated in my review last night, Crown made Phantom's hornline seem average and that is the first time I can remember that happening since '98. I wasn't thrilled with the Phantom show design and yes they move very fast a th the end which is way cool, but the first 9 minutes just don't have that typical Phantom ferocity!!! Some nice momnets, but many 6th place corps over the years have had nice moments. They are not in the same league with Bluecoats and Crown and I feel they will hold on to 6th in finals.

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

what? i'm happy to expound. the high school music comment? my jabs at crown's historical placement?

Did anyone else notice that Phantom did receive a penalty?

That being said, If you are so sure, Kekkles, that Phantom is no question the better corps, then why worry?

There are things I like and dislike about both at this point. To me, Phantom has the most undesirable quality of sound out of the top 8. It's often overblown. Crown is producing a beautiful tone but I just wish it had more volume. Phantom has no doubt the best drumline this year. I honestly believe Crown has the best guard. Crown's visual package is more effective and better executed IMO. Phantom's drill could be harder than petrified mammoth nuts but that doesn't make it any better or more effective. I love the music for both. Phantom has obviously more demand and that's clearly evident because it sounds and looks hard for them to do. This is the most exciting year that I've experienced in DCI. Man I wish I were 21!

Edited by MelloDisciple

That being said, If you are so sure, Kekkles, that Phantom is no question the better corps, then why worry?

phantom has only been given the title once, in a tie with a decidely stupid bd show. they've won high drums at finals once, despite having a quality line long before rennick was there (though rennick's pretty much a god, don't get me wrong). name a year where phantom placed out of the top 3 and i'll show you a year where cavies won with a show where they meandered down the field to play, and THEN started running like phantom does for their whole show. pr gets robbed every single year. no, i don't think they deserve 15 championship titles and all subcaptions every other year. but phantom puts out a powerful, top notch show every single year and their only reward is apathy from some fans and ####-chucking from others about how the show was "dirty," as if that helps anything.

i'm worried because the phantom regiment, while a top notch corps for well over 20 years, is given relatively little. every single year. it's getting to be something of a debacle at this point.

Edited by Kekkles