Santa Clara Vanguard's 7th Place Finish

Should they be in 7th?  

175 members have voted

1. 1. 7th Place?

• Yes
    • No

I have to agree with PeeWee in regards to the brass book..When I heard the recording from ealy season I was pumped..I LOVED IT...Then I saw them at Murf and was like "huh, what happened to it all?" Maybe they had to change some stuff due to staging or something?? I do know they will be adding some new stuff for the final product, so I am excited about that...

New stuff? Heck, I'd be thrilled if they'd just put back in all of the stuff they took out! :rolleyes:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New stuff? Heck, I'd be thrilled if they'd just put back in all of the stuff they took out! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm not really sure what the "new stuff" is, but I think it could be a good amount...Right now, the show is only around 10:20 long which tells me they got something planned..And then during field pass last week, they mentioned something about it..I guess they were waiting until the finals push to put it in..

they should have been 5th.

=\

~>conner

I haven't heard SCV's show enough to notice watering down, but sounds like you're saying you would rather have dirty tough parts than clean easy parts?

Yes, because that ambition to take on those challenging parts is much better than wussing out and watering them down just for a few points. Also...its Vanguard, they will get clean either way.

I just sent an e-mail off to Jeff and Key.

Vanguard has substantially watered-down their brass book since California. I'm not at all happy about this, and let "the powers that be" know that they should put everything back in that they took out.

It's got to be demoralizing for the members. You work all year on mastering one of the hardest brass books in 2007, only to have everything you worked on cut out of the book.

This is the second year in a row that they've done this. I'm tired of it. The Vanguard Board of Directors may be hearing from me directly after this season is over.

I think you are over-reacting a bit. First, I saw SCV early and they did NOT have one of the hardest brass books in 2007 at any point. Sorry, but this is just false. Their book as it is now is quite hard, no doubt, but Bluecoats had a more demanding brass book from day one of the season. Cadets certainly did as well. And the Cavaliers are playing a book much more challenging that people give it credit for.

Another issue you bring up is quite good, and that is being able to clean without watering down. Now, I do not know if or how much the Vanguard has watered down their show, and when I saw them in Columbus I thought they still had the more demanding show over BD (although not in the brass book), but it was clear to me which corps could march their show better.

All too often we hear people say things like "When we clean we will pass everyone up," or "wait until we put in the new ending and clean," like other corps aren't planning on doing the same thing. Since 1990 SCV has one DCI title. 17 years, 1 title. Certainly not like the old days, but the reason is not a mean one or a cut on the Vanguard or a slap at the organization; the reason is that they simply do not clean as well as BD, Cavaliers, and Cadets. And those have traditionally been the corps that have beat them. Only now Bluecoats are REAL, and have been REAL for a while. They are getting the same talent, the same quality show, but they seem to have a staff that can clean the product. Although Crown beat SCV the other day I cannot say this just yet for Crown until they do so at Finals. But Crown has certainly proved that they are for real.

It's nice having more contenders at the top, yet I understand your frustration with the corps you love, but it's not like they are bad this year, and frankly they do have a wonderful show. I really enjoyed them in Columbus, but they have their work cut out for them. Top 3 is just not going to happen without one of the Big 3 sustaining injuries to half their corps, and Bluecoats may well be on their way to being top 3, which means one of the traditional top 3 (or Big 3) will fall, and that means so will SCV, because I just can't see that show, even if they do clean it, ever beating BD, Cavaliers, or Cadets...certainly not with the way the Cadets will clean over finals week.

Finally, if you are going to write staff members and the BOD I suggest you not air those concerns here. It makes you sound cheap and whiny, which I know you are not, and the inference you draw is one of "I know better and they do not" when in fact you don't know everything they have been dealing with. You don't know how the members are responding to their teaching, their changes, to the show, to tour, to the judging, and you don't know what is being discussed in meetings, etc. Knowing the real truth always beats complaining about perception, especially when one chooses to do it openly and publicly.

I always enjoy your posts, but give the Vanguard time and have faith. They are not out of it, and top 5 could still be in their sights. Let things play out.

JW

I love SCV but I think the above statement is correct. I asked my wife what shows were memorable for her from our 2 days in Allentown. SCV did not make the top 6 she listed. Why? She remembers Cadets b/c they hit you over the head with their theme; she remembered Crown b/c they're the ones who did the "horse thing"; etc.

Every show needs a Hook: One thing you will remember about the show 3 days later. If SCV is doing ! / Eureka - where are the multiple ! signs throughout the show?; where are the neon colors?; other things to get the message across?

This is interesting, and quite counter to my impression. I never thought shows needed a concept to have a hook -- memorable music and drill that matches it should do it. But SCV this year has a concept that involves an entire stadium yelling the name of the show when the "!" appears! I think only the cadets drive their theme home more strongly, and I personally think that is too much. I would argue that the Blue Devils concept has much less holding it togther than SCV, and they won.

This is interesting, and quite counter to my impression. I never thought shows needed a concept to have a hook -- memorable music and drill that matches it should do it. But SCV this year has a concept that involves an entire stadium yelling the name of the show when the "!" appears! I think only the cadets drive their theme home more strongly, and I personally think that is too much. I would argue that the Blue Devils concept has much less holding it togther than SCV, and they won.

i think you said it all right there, vanguards show theme revolves entirely around get the audience to yell eureka!

i hate to break it to you,...but thats not a theme or a concept...its just getting fans to yell something.

and to me it has 7th place written all over it......!

Finally, if you are going to write staff members and the BOD I suggest you not air those concerns here. It makes you sound cheap and whiny, which I know you are not, and the inference you draw is one of "I know better and they do not" when in fact you don't know everything they have been dealing with. You don't know how the members are responding to their teaching, their changes, to the show, to tour, to the judging, and you don't know what is being discussed in meetings, etc. Knowing the real truth always beats complaining about perception, especially when one chooses to do it openly and publicly.

JW

I'd much rather see alums and fans vent their frustrations here, on a drum corps disucssion board, then to spam the staff with "I know better than you..." emails during tour. His complaints seem like fine fodder for discussion amongst his peers to me. However, I don't think the staff needs to waste a second of their time addressing any fans or alums concerns via email right now.

His complaints seem like fine fodder for discussion amongst his peers to me. However, I don't think the staff needs to waste a second of their time addressing any fans or alums concerns via email right now.

Agreed. they have enough on their hands.