San Antonio Review

Ryan, I am NOT doing that. I'm simply stating that the man has the right to his opinion as everyone else. I don't know what's going on with this forum lately. It's HIS review, that's all I'm saying. :huh:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was talking about DC's ragging on Academy's touring model, not Wes' review.

I know. I was making a general observation.

I guess I'm just tired of seeing people being ripped apart when it comes to giving reviews on here. It's just that person's perspective.

Edited by Lancerlady

Here are the songs that the Cavaliers are playing:

2nd) Cavies- I am surprised I did not recognize one Billy Joel tune played, but I also know that this show was very good. The jazzy stye fits the Cavies as does every style they play. The package is all there, and my wife loved the gurad, but I feel that they lack that reach out and grab you moment that we see from them so often. New ending tonight was very abrubt and left the crowd cold. I do not think this is going to e their year to win, although they very well could. In the end, I fell the Bluecoats could catch them and stay in front of them coming Fianls week.

Movement I - The Stranger

Angry Young Man

Movement II - And So It Goes

Invention in C Minor

Movement III - Pressure

Movement IV - And So It Goes

I've Loved These Days

Scenes From An Italian Restaurant

Some are obscure, but surely you know "Pressure" and "Scenes from an Italian Restaurant" ,"Stranger" and "Angry Young man"? I'm a big Billy Joel fan and recognized the songs, maybe it was the arrangement?

Edited by Lancerlady

Wes!

Great review. Hope all is going well. I wasn't able to make it out for San Antonio this year but I am flying in to Midland tomorrow. Is that anywhere by you?

Hey Larry, Thanks for the nice remarks. Actually Midland is in far West Texas about 5 hours away. Which is in Texas time not that far away, but I got some commitments here to take care of and won't be able to make it out there. One of these days though, you're just simply going to have to come to San Antonio and stay with Alicia and I. Take care and have a safe tour.

Wes P

wesleyrp,

Thanks so much for writing up the review.

Hey gang, thanks for the compliments. I am actually chuckling at the bickering this has caused. OK, I'll bring the beer and gigantic boxing gloves and lets go have a boxing party!!!! :P Just kidding.

As for a few more thoughts on Academy now that I am rested I can explain my opinion a bit more. When the Colts and Glassmen both played following Academy, I felt there was a major step up in the quality of sound produced and the execution from the brass, percussion and the guard especially. I felt as though Academy belongs in the running with these groups, but based off the forced sounds I was hearing I feel as though the Blue Stars were better yesterday. Now, being on row 7 at the bottom, I only saw performance vis and not forms, but Academy had very ragged transitions and quite a few people out of step in exposed spots. I also think that Academy's show is more challenging than Colts or Glassmen from a musical stand point, but they are forcing. (being over aggresive) In the afternoon I felt as though they may have just been trying to hard as a result of over hype, but then I thought that it felt the same in the evening. I had a good friend of mine sitting next to me that felt the same as well. When the low brass is in the small block near the 50 playing eighth note lines, the toungue placement is very muddy and at the same time the trumpets are ripping their faces off with their 16th lick. This is why I say there is an over balance. Trust me as a trumpet player and former lead sop, there is nothing I like to hear more than a killer trumpet sound, but it did not fit in the ensemble. That is why I am saying that I feel as though potentially this corps could well be the 10th best corps in the world, but right now I don't feel they were judged for what they were yesterday, which is darn good drum corps with some ensemble music and vis issues and some galring balance issues. I hope this maybe clarifies my point a bit.

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

Especially if you are one of about 4 or 5 "regular haters" with DC included that you can find SLAMMING them on every thread possible. Nice try, DC. The HATER police are out and you are on the Most Wanted list! ^0^

He is right, and you are one of the people here turning this place into a battleground over this one corps. And what, you've been here five minutes ??? Lighten up and stop labeling everyone haters, you dont have that right, let go and start respecting other peoples right to not like something you do. Its a community, not your lair.

~G~

Wesley, excellent, inteligent, insightful review. Im usualy harsh on BK, but this show, like 2005, invites you in and lets you really get involved....

Edited by GMichael1230

Hey gang, thanks for the compliments. I am actually chuckling at the bickering this has caused. OK, I'll bring the beer and gigantic boxing gloves and lets go have a boxing party!!!! :P Just kidding.

Boy, you sure know how to stir up some trouble on here! :rolleyes:

Anyway...I appreciate you taking the time to write this up. Sorry I missed you there...maybe next time.

-=GM=-

There's a major differance between honestly pointing out flaws in the actual performance that might allow another corps to pass them up, and claiming that they don't deserve to be in Div I in teh first place because of their touring model....or claiming that they got special preferences from DCI on their SA start tie compafred to the actual facts.

word! :P