Would an Old-Style Show Work Today?

I don't mean this to turn into an old-school, new-school thing. Please try to help me keep it from devolving into that.

I'm curious if a non-themed show would work today. No props, or at least non-themed, if that makes any sense. Guard does serious work in place of dance--not completely killing individual motion stuff, but just plain out-doing everything else on the field in marching, playing, drumming, colorguard, and so on.

I'm not quite sure my thoughts here, so please feel free to help me complete them.

And feel free to 'design a show' if it helps you help me say whatever it is I'm trying to spit out.

:spit:

There--that feels better!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a show today could be done without a theme. Actually, I think alot of shows today don't have themes, even if they have a title! Title does not equal theme, IMO.

As far as guard not doing any dance? I don't think that'll fly today...

Yeah, pretty much (about the guard) which is a shame because I personally perfer just flags and rifles.

But I'm a front ensemble guy, so what do I know?

I think a show today could be done without a theme. Actually, I think alot of shows today don't have themes, even if they have a title! Title does not equal theme, IMO.

07 Colts are a prime example. They just play a bunch of tunes and march their a##es off. The theme is pasted on.

Im not sure why some top 15 div 1 doesnt do this

it seems so conformist

it would be a crowd favorite and would probably be a good recruitment show

it would have to be rock solid and take no prisoners

OTL, military guard, drum solo, flag pre, some high mark time, company front, Exit, Re-entry et al

just for a year

cohesive but not "themed"

but you said NOT old school... I dunno, Phantom's 89 almost may have been the last showdown between straight ahead and show corps

but you said NOT old school... I dunno, Phantom's 89 almost may have been the last showdown between straight ahead and show corps

When I marched Scouts in '98 we had no theme whatsoever, just a title. I challenge you to find the common thread betwen Lupin, Peer Gynt, and Remembrance. It worked fine and the crowd responded enthusiastically. I think a non-themed show would go over very well even today.

When I marched Scouts in '98 we had no theme whatsoever, just a title. I challenge you to find the common thread betwen Lupin, Peer Gynt, and Remembrance. It worked fine and the crowd responded enthusiastically. I think a non-themed show would go over very well even today.

right.

50th Anniv for DCI will be 2022 (I think)

doesnt that look weird! but most of us will be alive that year

somebody could do a tribute show, going off topic tho...

07 Colts are a prime example. They just play a bunch of tunes and march their a##es off. The theme is pasted on.

i'm not sure you can say they have no theme when they do have a show title, "equinox"