Rose Bowl Guidline

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I was reading on the DCI web page that there were no backpacks of any kind allowed into the Rose Bowl which made me think of how strict security will be. I am bringing my wife and my 5 month old son, which we plan to keep him in a car seat. How strict will they be if we have a bag full of baby stuff? Much appreciated

Mark

Hey dude, why on earth would you bring a 5 month old baby to the noise and heat of an outdoor drum corps show? <**> Ya gonna sit there the entire show while the baby is crying from minute one? (and ruining the show for everybody around you) There is already enough rude talking during shows, don't need to hear a crying baby too. Find a baby sitter!..........

I have to chime in here.

Whether a parent should or shouldn't take their infant to a drum corps show should be entirely situation-specific. My wife and I have taken our daughter (who was, at the time, 3.5 months and 4.5 months old, respectively) to two drum corps shows, and she did very well at both, causing no disruptions at all. No crying, squirming, or anything. She actually seemed to enjoy sitting on our laps and watching what was going on on the field. (I wonder if she had been sensitized to the environment, having attended both DCI Championship Week, in utero, last year in Madison (at the age of -7 months) and having been previously taken to a rehearsal of the winter drumline I help teach when she was newly born?) Anyway, should she have started to become agitated, we were fully prepared on how to respond appropriately without disturbing the experience for those around us.

If the OP has a baby that s/he knows won't handle the environment, I'm sure s/he won't bring it. But if s/he's confident the baby will handle the environment okay (and not sit so close as to endanger the child's hearing), then by all means s/he should take the baby.

My $.02.

I just had another thought.

if by chance crying starts during a show, you aren't really supposed to enter/leave during that.

though, I'd say no one would mind if you did to get a crying child out of there.

but....just something I thought of.

Go check out the SM Beach, let the ladies laugh at my Texas physique (belly), let some body builders kick sand in my face, fight some traffic on the 105 and 410.

You won't find the body builders in Santa Monica. Muscle Beach is down in Venice. And what is the 410?

Please, please, please, for your own benefit, check your seats. If you are in section 18 above the aisle, do not bring a kid with you--I will be unforgiving of you as a parent if you bring a FIVE MONTH OLD INFANT TO DCI CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS.

Seriously, what do you anticipate doing? Assume you get to bring your stroller (massive), bag (banned), and everything else needed to tote junior along with you into a huge, monolithic stadium. When junior starts letting you know that he doesn't want to be there (crying), do you intend on switching and one parent standing in the concourse with junior crying his eyeballs out so one of you--not to mention the other 20 or 50 freaking THOUSAND of us there to see the show, which, did I mention is DCI CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS?!?

C'mon, folks. This is simply a bad, bad, bad example of get a babysitter or let the grandparents fulfill their fole for a night.

It's bad enough when parents go to a restaurant and let baby scream for half an hour while they eat. Thanks. Ruined...my...meal. It's another thing when you give me ammunition to literally fulfill the phrase "THROWING BABIES."

Actually, I'd probably forgive the kid for doing what is normal for a kid AND THROW YOU INSTEAD.

Sorry I'm not as cute as Krista--too many years teaching and working with kids and seeing the results of good parenting and bad parenting. If nobody has ever told you people these things, allow the single guy with no kids to be the first.

Did you even read the question you posted??? I mean ####!!!

The first common sense response in this thread. The arrogance of some parents is amazing expecting everyone else to make accommodations for them jut because they want to bring their kid somewhere completely inappropriate. To the OP: got to DCI if you must but leave the kid at home. Everyone in the adjacent seats will thank you.

I know several people have said their kids were great at shows at age 3.5 months, 6 months, etc. But we never took our son to a drum corp show until he was old enough to understand what he was watching and how to be respectful of the rest of the audience. He was 9 when he went to his first show. We didn't want to fool around with keeping him occupied, worrying about changing his diapers, etc. I wanted to watch the shows, so did my husband. Our son is now 22, just aged out of drum corp last year. Didn't seem to hurt him that he didn't go when he was tiny. He feels the same way.

Although we did attend the show in Alpharetta, GA in June and a family with a 4 year old sat in front of us. I was worried sick! He was the best behaved child I have ever seen at a drum corp show. Even better than the noisey high school kids who come with their band and don't care about bothering others. He loved watching the Corps and amazed me. So I guess it is something like an earlier poster said, you have to know the limits of your child. But no one ever knows when a 5 month old is going to cry. Seems to me a sitter would be cheaper than a 50.00 ticket if they live close. I thought all attendees had to have a ticket no mater how old they are, am I wrong?

We did not have to buy a ticket for our daughter for either show she attended. Maybe this would be different at, say, a regional or finals than it is at a local show?

I should also have mentioned in my earlier post that we were seated on the aisle to enable a quick exit if it became necessary, which, thankfully, it did not.

I have to chime in here.

Whether a parent should or shouldn't take their infant to a drum corps show should be entirely situation-specific. My wife and I have taken our daughter (who was, at the time, 3.5 months and 4.5 months old, respectively) to two drum corps shows, and she did very well at both, causing no disruptions at all. No crying, squirming, or anything. She actually seemed to enjoy sitting on our laps and watching what was going on on the field. (I wonder if she had been sensitized to the environment, having attended both DCI Championship Week, in utero, last year in Madison (at the age of -7 months) and having been previously taken to a rehearsal of the winter drumline I help teach when she was newly born?) Anyway, should she have started to become agitated, we were fully prepared on how to respond appropriately without disturbing the experience for those around us.

If the OP has a baby that s/he knows won't handle the environment, I'm sure s/he won't bring it. But if s/he's confident the baby will handle the environment okay (and not sit so close as to endanger the child's hearing), then by all means s/he should take the baby.

My $.02.

Benadril works wonders.

You won't find the body builders in Santa Monica. Muscle Beach is down in Venice. And what is the 410?

Then I'm safe at SM--thx! 410 is one of the freeways I'm about to become familiar with, no?

The first common sense response in this thread. The arrogance of some parents is amazing expecting everyone else to make accommodations for them jut because they want to bring their kid somewhere completely inappropriate. To the OP: got to DCI if you must but leave the kid at home. Everyone in the adjacent seats will thank you.

Thanks. I like to think that common sense lives on with me! :P And single with no kids...hmm.