Marching styles

It's similar but it seems more exaggerated to some extent.
it is similar, yes, however there are few things that are different in terms of step offs and direction changes

Also, at least at slower tempos, it looks like BK actually steps with the toe leading instead of the heel. A lot more ballet-like, and also sort of like a show horse (too bad that Crown's the one doing the horse show). Any BK alums correct me if I'm wrong...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, at least at slower tempos, it looks like BK actually steps with the toe leading instead of the heel. A lot more ballet-like, and also sort of like a show horse (too bad that Crown's the one doing the horse show). Any BK alums correct me if I'm wrong...

Well, as an alum of the Blue Knights, I'd chime in if I could. However, since I marched in 1994, that was well before the current technique was developed.

Hopefully, a more recent alum of the Blue Knights can shed some light on how the new technique works. It's very unique...

-=GM=-

Gregory Kuzma? Off Topic, but, love the book! Should be required reading for anyone who wants to march corps, in my opinion.

Gregory Kuzma? Off Topic, but, love the book! Should be required reading for anyone who wants to march corps, in my opinion.

Yep, that's me. Glad you enjoyed the book. I'm also glad you think it's a good read to get an idea of what marching drum corps is like. Although, some things have changed over the years...there are some things that have not.

Also, check out "Not for the faint of heart" (SCV book) at www.wildridepublications.com and "The Line" (good fiction story about a girl who marches bass drum) at www.thelinebook.com.

It's nice to see other books out there similar to mine...

-=GM=-

BK's current marching technique was based on the way they rehab people to walk again after breaking their leg(s).

Robbie developed it since he is a phsyical therapist.

It focuses on pointing(the toe) through the '&' count instead of rolling or making sure the leg is straight.

I've noticed alot of corps use straight leg or "modified straight leg" as techniques now a days.

Edited by Chuck

What a great topic (visual guy). I actually just posted something about BK's marching style like two minutes ago, let me see if I can find it....

We never actually did hard direction changes. The prep step is something we've been doing since 1999 I believe, but it may have been 1997 (whenever Rob Billings got there). However, you aern't seeing it as much anymore. I was talking to some friends who are still there, and they redefined this year that anything with choreography, which in Blue Knights is a lot, ends in a soft prep, or at least a prep that's more fitting with whatever the dance work is, so it's not as noticeable from a "pop and go" stand point.

The marching style we used is a point on the pass, so the "and" count the toes are pointed straight down. The "uh" count the toes and foot are extended fully in front, and the down beat the foot flicks back up. As a result, we aern't known for the highest toes in the air, but that's not really where the concern is.

As far as pointing toes on the steps, it's not during "slow" tempos, but instead when it fits into the music. We "jazz walk" during the ballad, and a lot of time during our choreography parts, to fit more into the style of the dance or the music.

Also, I was told that this year, when coming out of a choreography section, it is defined that the first step is toe first (but that could have been changed since all days, when I heard it).

I've heard through the grapevine that a few of these things have had a little variance in definition since I was there, but the premise is the same. I'm pretty sure on a little more brisker tempos the point on the pass is not as stressed (for obvious reasons), but the knee is still there, and that still gives off the impression.

Hope that helps. MFBK :wub:

K, found it. Hey GM, what happened to you in San Antonio? I spent the whole day looking for you, and everyone said I had just missed you. Hopefully you got my card, I left it with the Red Van driver (I think).

Since the mod suggested it, I'll go ahead and open up this topic. In much the same spirit as the "Brass Caption Head" thread, I'd just like to know what kind of style each corps teaches. Specific pedagogical methods would be great as would rationale and reasoning behind the technique. I'm also looking for not just modern techniques that corps use these days, but also techniques from corps past.

as always, feel free to ask questions or correct anything Ive got wrong...

I'll start out with what I know -

Cadets

Technique: Straight legged

Nicknames:"Straight-Legged-Freaks", "Scissors"

The Cadet visual style is based upon two things, height and straight legs.

The initial motion of the leg is to push the heel to the ground with minimal knee movement. The leg swings in a pendulum motion using the thigh muscles to propel the entire leg forward as one unit. The rear ankle flexes to push the body weight into the step. The goal of the technique is to preserve the maroon stripe that runs down the side of the uniform. The bagginess of the pants (at least the old unis from '03-06) allow the leg a little bit of knee bend before it is visible. The marcher should however NOT displace the hip joints in order to preserve a straight leg - you can recognize this by seeing if the hips raise and lower independently on every step.

The performer should be as tall as possible at all points during marching and should never lower, especially during direction changes and backwards marching. The traditional "stop and go" technique is used where no body weight transfers to the front foot on the last count. The legs should be crossing on the "and" count of the beat. Halts are approached through a toe first placement at high tempos and are rolled into at low tempos. At low tempos, the backwards technique changes to a "roll down" where the foot rolls down through the heel in a kind of reverse forward rollstep.

When standing still, the toes and heels are together. Weight is distributed evenly on the whole foot with maybe a slight inclination towards leaning forward.

YES YES YES!!!! SCISSORS!!!

Though not as intense as 1997....

Oh how I miss marching the scissor technique....

BK's current marching technique was based on the way they rehab people to walk again after breaking their leg(s).

Robbie developed it since he is a phsyical therapist.

It focuses on pointing(the toe) through the '&' count instead of rolling or making sure the leg is straight.

I noticed they did this when I marched Pioneer 99. The pointed toe was used as a prep, as well (from what I can remember). I used to love watching them hit that prep... they all looked like cute little ponies. =P

When I tried to start this discussion I was asking about BK without mentioning them, and some assumed I was starting up a Cavie bashing thread. But, I don't see the similarity in style...I will have to look closer. I have always thought that the look of the cavaliers marching style was masculine and forceful to the point of even being a little choppy at times. The tempo is so solid. I think I like Crown and Cadets better, but Cavies don't give me concern like BK does.