Pioneer

And it's been answered. When a question like that is asked and answered, threads usually turn into "love-ins" for the corps.

And your point? Is there a problem with that?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to put my .02 cents in on this issue.

I was with the corps on tour the past couple days working on material for the website/promotional items for next season. As a general statement, Pioneer is light years ahead of where they were when I saw them two days before their first show of the season. There were a lot of issues prior to the season that really took a toll on the corps' progress. That's not the kids fault and all said and done, the members have actually rebounded from a rocky spring to have a really awesome season. Scores aside, everyone is extremely happy with how things have progressed. Talking to the staff, the scores are somewhat of a "sore" subject around some of them. There's a definite sense that there should be a little more movement in the upward direction. They're getting great feedback from the judges, and are applying that feedback, but they're not being rewarded for the changes that they make. But, that's the way that drum corps works sometimes. Nobody is crying about it. The kids are having a great time. The new uniforms look great. The crowd is cheering. And last, but not least, Pioneer's already looking forward to an even better 2008 season. Not to throw the 2007 season under the bus or anything because the season's no where near over. But, there's a lot of excitement for the 2008 season already. A couple of new doors have opened in the area of recruitment which should lead to more members next season. A lot of new ideas involving the corps are being floated around that should help to boost membership, alumni support, and community involvement. And last but not least, I think everyone around the corps is dedicated to making the corps Better Every Day! So, while we may be in last place right now, better days are still ahead. After all, there is no where to go but up!

I just wanted to put my .02 cents in on this issue.

I was with the corps on tour the past couple days working on material for the website/promotional items for next season. As a general statement, Pioneer is light years ahead of where they were when I saw them two days before their first show of the season. There were a lot of issues prior to the season that really took a toll on the corps' progress. That's not the kids fault and all said and done, the members have actually rebounded from a rocky spring to have a really awesome season. Scores aside, everyone is extremely happy with how things have progressed. Talking to the staff, the scores are somewhat of a "sore" subject around some of them. There's a definite sense that there should be a little more movement in the upward direction. They're getting great feedback from the judges, and are applying that feedback, but they're not being rewarded for the changes that they make. But, that's the way that drum corps works sometimes. Nobody is crying about it. The kids are having a great time. The new uniforms look great. The crowd is cheering. And last, but not least, Pioneer's already looking forward to an even better 2008 season. Not to throw the 2007 season under the bus or anything because the season's no where near over. But, there's a lot of excitement for the 2008 season already. A couple of new doors have opened in the area of recruitment which should lead to more members next season. A lot of new ideas involving the corps are being floated around that should help to boost membership, alumni support, and community involvement. And last but not least, I think everyone around the corps is dedicated to making the corps Better Every Day! So, while we may be in last place right now, better days are still ahead. After all, there is no where to go but up!

Glad to hear Pioneer is making strides. I was fortunate enough to see them in San Antonio, and there are obviously things to fix (as every corps that day had), but the show was fun and entertaining, and the members put on a truly wonderful performance. And you're right, the new uniforms do look great. Whatever happens with scores, Pioneer puts on a stellar performance and I can't wait to see the 2008 program!

Glad to hear Pioneer is making strides. I was fortunate enough to see them in San Antonio, and there are obviously things to fix (as every corps that day had), but the show was fun and entertaining, and the members put on a truly wonderful performance. And you're right, the new uniforms do look great. Whatever happens with scores, Pioneer puts on a stellar performance and I can't wait to see the 2008 program!

The new unis look HOT, and its a fun show to watch and listen to!!

Thanks, Ken! Sorry if I wasn't clear earlier--I can do that in written English. :doh: But you know, I've never made a mistake when speaking--100%! :doh:

I've said it before, I'm sure I'll say it again. Every single corps out there does the same thing between shows. Buses, gym floors, long hours of rehearsal, lunch-line food, suspect showers, rotten tasting water that Gatorade barely masks. Drum corps is drum corps no matter which drum corps you're in. Elites, D1, D2, D3.

And applause always sounds the same, too! Maybe a little louder here and there. But same idea. And I can't help but think that all those folks who take off before the scores are announced could care less--their love is the same regardless of color of uniform or average height/age.

Keep it up, Pioneer! (and all you other guys, too!)

Three things will survive the nuclear holocaust: Cockroaches, Bones, and PIONEER! B)

Now someone gimme my Irish music! :doh:

I love Pioneer this year. I saw them at the Indy regional on Saturday and thought they were great! They are definitely going in the right direction. And a BIG kudos to their color guard staff - a very well done book; smart, clean, effective. I LOVE IT!

Go Pioneer!!

p.s. back to the original topic: Pioneer was like 15th or 14th in 2000.. I think that's right. The Brigadoon show... And their 1999 show was great too!

1997 is still one of my personal favs.

Go Pioneer!