Cymbal line poll

Do you enjoy cymbal lines  

410 members have voted

1. 1. Do you enjoy watching the cymbal lines on the field?

• yes, more corps should have them.
    • no cymbals should be in the pit.
    • i never noticed cymbal lines

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cymbal Lines rock my socks!

:P

Love cymbals on the field, they aren't out there right now for two reasons: 1. The increased size in either guards or hornlines have taken the numbers away. 2. Having cymbals means a tech for the section and more money. With the increased corps sizes next year we may see a return of the plates, which would be cool.

• 1 month later...

#### yeah. ive zoned out during drum corps shows before, after watching/being transfixed by a cymbal line.

You guys may hate me for this but honestly, I am not a big fan of cymbal lines on the field. If I were a drummer, I wouldn't want to march around carrying cymbals all day. I mean all they do is crash crash crash. It's like having a brass instrument playing one note throughout an entire show. At least now that they are in the pit, the pit players have more than just that instrument to play. I have to say though I do like SCV's cymbal line. I hope I am not offending anyone with my opinion because I don't mean to. Just how I feel. To each his own though.

You guys may hate me for this but honestly, I am not a big fan of cymbal lines on the field. If I were a drummer, I wouldn't want to march around carrying cymbals all day. I mean all they do is crash crash crash. It's like having a brass instrument playing one note throughout an entire show. At least now that they are in the pit, the pit players have more than just that instrument to play. I have to say though I do like SCV's cymbal line. I hope I am not offending anyone with my opinion because I don't mean to. Just how I feel. To each his own though.

Watch some of the real good lines. You will see they do a lot more than just crash, crash, crash. That's just like saying a base drum just goes boom, boom, boom.

I would actually venture to say that there are far more sounds to make with a pair of cymbals in a given drum corps show than on really any other instrument. You just have to know how to manipulate them correctly. Add in the visual aspect, and what you have is one of the most fun instruments to play. Add in the difficulty factor, and you have one of the most rewarding.

Cymbals in drum corps are a good thing.

Watch some of the real good lines. You will see they do a lot more than just crash, crash, crash. That's just like saying a base drum just goes boom, boom, boom.

Okay, I see your point, but bass lines have more difficult parts from what I've seen. I guess I need to check out the lines from before I marched to see what you are talking about though.