How will you react if The Cadets win?

If The Cadets win, what will you do?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. In the stands, if The Cadets win, what will you do?

• I will cheer heartily, both after the show and for their win
    • I will golf clap the show, and golf clap their win
    • I will golf clap the show, and may even boo if they win
    • I refuse to watch the show, and will golf clap their win
    • I'll grumble and be annoyed, but behave
  2. 2. If The Cadets do NOT win, I'll probably first feel:

• Sadness
    • Joy
    • Relief
    • Confusion
    • Anger
  3. 3. Star 1993 was hugely influencial, controversial, and booed. Can Cadets 2007 have the same impact, even if it doesn't win?

• Yes; this is groundbreaking. Voice usage will dramatically increase whatever place they finish.
    • Voice will only become pervasive if they win. If they don't take first, it will have little if any effect.
    • Voice use will drop either way throughout DCI, since corps know that a large section of fans don't care for it.
    • Either way voice usage goes, this show will not have a profound impact overall on voice use.

Not if it leads to poor decisions like the ties rule. The prime focus should be on the members' experience, not whining 'fans'.

agreed

it's like poll driven politicians - willing to compromise good leadership by sticking their fingers in the air

the tie rule is dumb

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not if it leads to poor decisions like the ties rule. The prime focus should be on the members' experience, not whining 'fans'.

Not to veer off topic too much, but didn't the ties rule get voted through by directors, just like amplification and any key?

The process was the same, no? Seems like some of these directors must have wanted to win outright to vote on it...and since competition is part of the "member experience" (as well as what some fans like to focus on), why not have a clear winner?

Anyway, the "fan voice" is not relevant to DCI in any aspect of the activity...we both know that. :)

Cadets should win because their show is more challenging than any others out there.... I am confident they could excel doing any other corps show-- but that no other corps could do theirs justice.

I don't think their production will change how folks use voice. They are not the first corps to do it, they won't be the last, this is just one of the first quality productions we've seen where voice seemed to be the impetus of the show rather than an enhancement. It's a programming choice just like any design team makes.

I will cheer for any corps that wins, but confusion will definately be my first reaction if they don't win because I don't think any other corps holds a torch to them overall. Love it or hate it, you have to admit they are simply phenomenal performers.

And to point out my motivations for this poll --

#1 - I wanted the numbers to bear out the questions about anger and booing. It's proof that you cannot be simply categorized as either "borg" or "closed-minded". There are a lot of individuals who fit in neither category.

#2 - I wanted to make sure that my example display of appreciation was appropriate, and not disrespectful. I have a great deal of respect for the performers and their performance, and indeed the Cadets' organization. I dislike two major points; one of which is the DCI scoring system, and the other is the show design. I want to be sure that there is indeed a way to like The Cadets without liking the show.

Maybe it's oversimplifying. But fans used to boo, and it became unacceptable because this is a youth activity. All the kids have a thick skin, but the reality is that this is a good change; we should appreciate all of the hard work and great performances. They are not paid performers.

That said, I hope that a little polite applause is indeed a way to say I don't like the show, but really appreciate the effort of the kids. As a fan, there has to be a civil, "right" way to not like the show as much as others. The golf clap isn't new, but I wanted to make a point specifically here that we can't as fans simply fake what we like... otherwise, the real applause won't be any different. Do we want that?

Thanks for indulging me.

agreed

it's like poll driven politicians - willing to compromise good leadership by sticking their fingers in the air

the tie rule is dumb

Sometimes good leadership is listening to your constituants. The current administration may want to try that...

Is hara-kiri an option? :P

Actually, if they win, I think I'll write to George and suggest they do next year's show based on Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth" ^0^

as of my vote time...

53% of the people will either golfclap, boo, or be annoyed and behave...

66% of the people will either feel joy or relief that cadets didn't win...

Now, I know this is just dcp, etc, etc, blah blah, but that's still over 50% not liking it...and it's all due to narration...

I would bet that of the 47%/34% that do like the show, a very small percentage of them actually care one way or another about narration...

(now remember, this is all MY numbers...don't blame anyone else!!!)

which means that probably around 95% of the people either don't like narration, or could care less...

I Love a show that caters to 5%!

/flame on ^0^

Edited by skewerz

I haven't read the rest of the comments on this thread, but all I know is that I hope George Hopkins sees this poll and it's results.

I skipped to the end of the thread to add this---

BUT I really get sick of people comparing the Cadets (every year for the last three years) to Star 93.

Were they controversial? yes. Did they make people think? Absolutely.

Are the Cadets controversial? Yes. Did they make people think? Nope. they do it for you.

THAT is what makes the narration such a sad story to me.

My 71 year old father sat in his chair at the Ogden show and said to me "they are taking the beauty out of the music by trying to explain it to me"

Controversial? sure. Like Star? hell no. everyone loved star. no one looks back and says, "boy that 2006 Cadets show has really grown on me......"

Edited by cwillpayne

as of my vote time...

53% of the people will either golfclap, boo, or be annoyed and behave...

66% of the people will either feel joy or relief that cadets didn't win...

Now, I know this is just dcp, etc, etc, blah blah, but that's still over 50% not liking it...and it's all due to narration...

Im not going to argue with you about the relevance of a DCP poll, in fact, the longer I am here, the more i think this place represents the dc community. Its not a ton, but it is more then some will admit. That Said...

....where do you get off saying that of the people that will be relieved, each and everyone one of them will be relieved because a show using narration didnt win. Methinks that all the blue, green, bloo, and maybe white fans out there may be happy because if the cadets dont win, because it means better odds of their corps winning. Im willing to bet that david gibbs doesnt want the cadets to win, but im pretty sure he voted for amplification, and used it a lot in a show not to long ago ^0^ . Just another example of people using a poll to justify conclusions that dont actually exist and push an agenda.

'its a map....with conclusions on it...that you jump to....GET IT????'