No such thing as free speech on DCI.org

I found it interesting to note that the article from a few days ago on DCI.org entitled "Identifying With The Cadets "This I Believe" drew so much negative commentary that they felt compelled to delete the "Talkback with DCInteract" option and all of the response commentary.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found it interesting to note that the article from a few days ago on DCI.org entitled "Identifying With The Cadets "This I Believe" drew so much negative commentary that they felt compelled to delete the "Talkback with DCInteract" option and all of the response commentary.

They have the right to choose what appears on THEIR webpage. It is hardly a denial of free speech. Perhaps they felt one DCP was enough.... :worthy:

Good call. I frankly thought it a lousy idea to begin with. The organization's site is no place for that kind of thing. Save it for independent sites like DCP.

Did they delete it just for that article, or completely for the site? I can see why they took it off for all the heat that the Cadets took in the replies.

That is perfectly within their rights. I see no problem with it

Certainly this is the case, but I find it disingeuous of them. Obviously they don't really want "talk back". Perhaps they should rename this option or simply direct commentary off their site to DCP where this stuff is more within the perview of this site.

There was some bashing unfortunately, but also some good critical thinking as well.

Is it possible to post comments on any major sporting league's website? Can I go onto nfl.com and bash the bears?

Is it possible to post comments on any major sporting league's website? Can I go onto nfl.com and bash the bears?

nope...but you can go to the espn forums. Hey wait...that reminds me of some strange parallel universe involving drum corps......planet?!?!?...wait, what?

Certainly this is the case, but I find it disingeuous of them. Obviously they don't really want "talk back". Perhaps they should rename this option or simply direct commentary off their site to DCP where this stuff is more within the perview of this site.

There was some bashing unfortunately, but also some good critical thinking as well.

I don't think it's disingenuous of them at all. They didn't do that back in the early 2000s and now it seems people are using it like it's DCP. If someone who had never heard of drum corps were to log on there just out of curiousity, those comments would probably make them biased against whatever corps to which the comments were directed..though just my opinion.

I read the "comments" you are referring to.

"some bashing" is a pretty tame description of the personal attacks being launched against the Cadets' director

DCI.org has been sticking it's toe into "interactive" formats - unfortunately they will find that a segment of the corps "community" will not let that be possible for their organization

DCI should host some moderated online events where the discussion can be controlled (IE: censored)

You are correct - no free speech on DCI.org - nor should there or frankly COULD THERE be

Go look at RAMD if you are wondering why.