To the 2007 Crossmen and their staff

At first I was skeptical about the Crossmen's move to San Antonio, but with hindsight, it might be one of the best decisions they ever made. Good location combined with excellent recruiting potential. BTW....good luck to the Renegades in Rochester this year. :)

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are still not that far out of a finals spot. I think the move to TX was a good idea. They have basicly no competition for recruiting in that state, where in Allentown they had to compete with The Cadets.

While I do think that Crossmen rankings have no where to go but up for the next few years, there are many excellent drum corps that get it's members from texas. Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Phantom just to name a few.

While I do think that Crossmen rankings have no where to go but up for the next few years, there are many excellent drum corps that get it's members from texas. Cavaliers, Bluecoats, Phantom just to name a few.

True, but at least as the Crossmen become more competitive (which will happen) there will be some of these kids who used to think "I really wanna go march _____" in another state even though they may be able to audition in TX, they will begin deciding to just stay near home and march in another kick a** corps like Bones.

Other excellent corps, as you put it, have gotten many of their kids from TX for one reason because these awesome TX kids have nowhere else to go but to another state, if they want to march div. 1. Now that is not the case.

Edited by TXMystreaux

Whatever place the 2007 Crossmen get, is really irrelevant to me. They are 100% the Crossmen, and their show is fantastic. I don't know what I was expecting from the Crossmen on Saturday, but it certainly wasn't the incredible and inspiring performance that I saw. If it takes them a season or two to continue to grow and move up, so be it.

Lee - I totally agree

BRAVO to the 2007 Crossmen and the Texas organization - they are really cool & I feel they are building a strong foundation for the future

I could care less where they place this week - I am looking forward to seeing them a couple more times.

GREAT stuff / one of the best things on the field this summer!!

They are still not that far out of a finals spot. I think the move to TX was a good idea. They have basicly no competition for recruiting in that state, where in Allentown they had to compete with The Cadets.

They really do have a lot of competition for recruiting in Texas because so many Div I corps are having auditions and some camps there now. Can you imagine how difficult it has been for Revolution to recruit? I'm glad to see Revo is still able to be competitive in Div II/III despite having X-men in their back yard now.

Texas has historically been a major prize for drum corps recruiting because over the past three decades thousands of Texas band kids have marched in DCI corps. I remember one year at the Lake Highlands show in Dallas, the announcer was listing off the names of Texans in each corps. I believe one year about 1/4 of the Cadets were from Texas. Also the Cavaliers and especially Phantom Regiment have always had a HUGE group of kids from Texas. And back in "the day" the Sky Ryders from Kansas got the vast majority of their members from Texas.

Edited by THX 1138

Having the Crossmen be the nearest and most permanent division 1 option that won't require those Texas kids to also have to travel to Illinois or Ohio or Wisconsin, however, cannot be underestimated. At the very least, they are now in the equation to those kids, where as before they most likely were not. And at the most, we could see a swift and dramatic upgrade in talent over the next couple years that could vault the Crossmen into some higher uncharted (for them, anyway) competitive territory.

Whatever place the 2007 Crossmen get, is really irrelevant to me. They are 100% the Crossmen, and their show is fantastic. I don't know what I was expecting from the Crossmen on Saturday, but it certainly wasn't the incredible and inspiring performance that I saw. If it takes them a season or two to continue to grow and move up, so be it.

Ditto. Best of luck to the corps!