Blah.

Fair enough....but the OP isn't just a troll who hates everything. There's a measure of sarcasm in the post to be sure, but there's some obvious points that they still care about the activity, else they wouldn't have stuck around this long, or posted their thoughts.

Furthermore, if we're just here to discuss "todays product"...how exactly do we do that without using previous years/successes as a barometer? Barry Bonds still gets compared to Hank Aaron for better or worse...can we really expect people from generations ago to not do the same with what they see on the field?

I suppose I was unclear on certain things about the founding of DCP...and it seems I ascribed certain things to it that weren't there to hear the story told now.

...but, then again, if drum corps can evolve, there's no reason DCP can't either. B)

DCP was never limited in its purpose - that's why we included DCA & Historical Discussions from the onset. You were saying "why" DCP was created / that was the why = the catalyst

Now - the OP. This thread "Blah" would have been locked under the original guidelines of DCP because it has an inflammatory title. "Blah" is not a constructive way to start a conversation - it does not promote meaningful - but rather - reactionary debate.

I am not sure how I feel about it anymore - DCP is a little "looser" than it used to be / there are good & bad points to that.

The bottomline is - PERSONALLY - I am not much for someone poo-pooing today's activity or the members achievements. But that's just me.

Edited by George

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DCP was never limited in its purpose - that's why we included DCA & Historical Discussions from the onset. You were saying "why" DCP was created / that was the why.

...but does that effectively limit us from useful conversation when all that there is to consider is "todays drum corps" with no quarter given to previous years/members except "oh, here's a forum over here for you"? :P

I'm just nitpicking, but I really did think things came about a little differently....I mean I certainly understood all of the ramd nonsense that led to it, but I suppose since I wasn't around at the very inception of things here, I didn't see the mission statement from the get go, just the clarifications of policy along the way. :)

I for one am just fine with the way Drum Corps has evolved. There have been several changes over the years that I haven't liked but most of them have grown on me as time passes. Narration is one I still don't like, but to me it takes away some of the appeal of the individual corps itself, not the activity.

I have been a long-time user/lurker on RAMD & DCP. (Thanks George - I really think DCP was a great step in the evolution process). I respect the fact that everyone has individual likes and dislikes. Those with a true passion for the activity grow with it. I for one would not like to see us way back with the 50's style marching, where the flags didn't come out of their slings and the marching was rigorous, not necessarily timed with the music. The addition of valves, expansion of percussion instruments (pit) and choreography has made Drum Corps better IMHO. Each generation feels that nothing should be changed because it is fine the way it is...... I think the continuing persuit of excellence will continue to encourage changes as each corps strives to improve over their last year's production. I welcome the innovation and look forward to what Drum Corps will offer me in another 20 years.

Whats that word I’m looking for…you know the one that describes the situation of a post reminiscing about the ways things used to be in drum corps as not being appropriate for this board because of the way the board used to be?

Oh yeah, Irony

Any way, who owns this board now, who bought it?

And I’m in the same boat as the OP – I don’t like the direction of Drum Corps much these days, had I just come to it now, doubt I would have stayed beyond one show – it’s the past that keeps me here but how much future is there in my past?

It’s a valid and debatable concern

I never got the idea of just accept what you are given and walk away if you don’t like it, don’t rock the boat, don’t try to change it – just surrender or bag it

You know, after being around this thing my entire life, just shy of 40 years – I wonder how many of the todays’ will be around in 20-30 years like I am, will it hold them as long as it did me? They still have yet to prove themselves, their reasons and motivations are different than my generations – don’t know if it will have the same staying power

And really, why does some kid that’s never been to a show and been into this for almost a year have more of a say in it than someone like me?

OFF TOPIC:

I'm seeing the abbreviation 'OP' being used around this thread somewhat. Serious question: What exactly does that stand for?

Thanks.

Original Poster or Original Post: IOW, referring to the first post in the thread.

(Had the same question when I first started).....

OP = Original Poster