Cadets' narration....thoughts

OK.....so I hadn't seen any webcasts of Cadets this year, but finally caught them at Stanford.

Crappy seats (3rd row from the field, 40ish yard line)....so bad for drill, not too bad for horns, tho.

I don't remember much fo the show because the narration irritated me so very much...i remember a typically stellar corps...LOUD horns, smokin' drums, drill all over the place with the usual Cadet precision.

But I just could NOT enjoy the program because of the INCESSANT narration! I wanted to slit my own wrists by the time we got to "Athletes of God."

Bluecoats' narration was EXTREMELY effective....subdued, didn't go on forever, set up events perfectly ("drop your weapons" and "you have the right to remain silent" being the best ones), and Cadets' own usage in 05 was ALSO great (the opening Rod Serling bit wasn't long and set up the show nicely...and the drumspeak was totally cool!).

THIS year however, Cadets' narration is not only irritating, it's distracting.

1) When you're looking at the pit to see who's talking, it's not working properly...my attention should be drawn to the field, not trying to find a mike

2) You know how people for the last few years have complained about the lack of melody on the field...that the music has been arranged with a Cuisinart? Lots of drum breaks, a few horns stabs, then more drum break??? THAT'S how the narration in this show feels.

3) When the one kid said "And when I play my trumpet, something wonderful happens" it took all of my willpower to NOT should out "Yeah....you shut up!" (I DID say it soto voce to the guy next to me tho)....besides, there was a mike in front of me and I didn't want to ruin it for someone who DID like the show (I yell a lot of stuff before the program starts...."They're aaaaaaallways ready" for the BD groups for example...but I never do that kind of stuff DURING the show)

4) I haven't been preached at that much since I decided to stop attending church...."Athletes of God?" More like "Athletes of Billy Graham".....that's how over the top and heavy-handed the narration is to me.

5) George.....you guys don't NEED the narration!!! It utterly ruins an otherwise spectacular program...it's worse than sitting in front of some idiot loudly talking business on his cell phone right behind your ear during the show.

6) When the crowd cheers when you state you're going to STOP talking....here's your sign....

I have sat through some painfully bad performances by small corps, but never thought of leaving...I WANT to like Cadets.....the last time I saw them live was 1987. They've had some programs I listen to frequently (even 84 :P )...I have NEVER left the stadium for a hot dog when a corps is on....but i just may do it when Cadets hit the field...I don't know yet...and that's a feeling I don't like....like I MUST leave or I'll not be able to enjoy ANY of it.

At the very least, if Cadets end up in 1st place, I'll leave and not watch the encore....at least I'll beat some of the traffic.

This is NOT what amplification was meant for...to drive away a long-time fan.....

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is NOT what amplification was meant for...to drive away a long-time fan.....

It's not the narration that is driving you away, it's your inability to accept it. That's OK of course, you like what you like; I don't mean it as a negative on you. But if you can't accept something, it's not the fault of the 'something'.

As for the Cadets show, I disagree 100% with your assessment of their show. IMO the narration is overall written and performed better than most I have ever seen, band or corps.

OK.....so I hadn't seen any webcasts of Cadets this year, but finally caught them at Stanford.

Crappy seats (3rd row from the field, 40ish yard line)....so bad for drill, not too bad for horns, tho.

I don't remember much fo the show because the narration irritated me so very much...i remember a typically stellar corps...LOUD horns, smokin' drums, drill all over the place with the usual Cadet precision.

But I just could NOT enjoy the program because of the INCESSANT narration! I wanted to slit my own wrists by the time we got to "Athletes of God."

Bluecoats' narration was EXTREMELY effective....subdued, didn't go on forever, set up events perfectly ("drop your weapons" and "you have the right to remain silent" being the best ones), and Cadets' own usage in 05 was ALSO great (the opening Rod Serling bit wasn't long and set up the show nicely...and the drumspeak was totally cool!).

THIS year however, Cadets' narration is not only irritating, it's distracting.

1) When you're looking at the pit to see who's talking, it's not working properly...my attention should be drawn to the field, not trying to find a mike

2) You know how people for the last few years have complained about the lack of melody on the field...that the music has been arranged with a Cuisinart? Lots of drum breaks, a few horns stabs, then more drum break??? THAT'S how the narration in this show feels.

3) When the one kid said "And when I play my trumpet, something wonderful happens" it took all of my willpower to NOT should out "Yeah....you shut up!" (I DID say it soto voce to the guy next to me tho)....besides, there was a mike in front of me and I didn't want to ruin it for someone who DID like the show (I yell a lot of stuff before the program starts...."They're aaaaaaallways ready" for the BD groups for example...but I never do that kind of stuff DURING the show)

4) I haven't been preached at that much since I decided to stop attending church...."Athletes of God?" More like "Athletes of Billy Graham".....that's how over the top and heavy-handed the narration is to me.

5) George.....you guys don't NEED the narration!!! It utterly ruins an otherwise spectacular program...it's worse than sitting in front of some idiot loudly talking business on his cell phone right behind your ear during the show.

6) When the crowd cheers when you state you're going to STOP talking....here's your sign....

I have sat through some painfully bad performances by small corps, but never thought of leaving...I WANT to like Cadets.....the last time I saw them live was 1987. They've had some programs I listen to frequently (even 84 :P )...I have NEVER left the stadium for a hot dog when a corps is on....but i just may do it when Cadets hit the field...I don't know yet...and that's a feeling I don't like....like I MUST leave or I'll not be able to enjoy ANY of it.

At the very least, if Cadets end up in 1st place, I'll leave and not watch the encore....at least I'll beat some of the traffic.

Sam .... We appreciate your concerns. We have worked all year to make this work. I am sorry you find it so offensive.

Why is this so? Can you tell me what element of voice makes it less effective for you?

PS --- the inserted comment about no voice .... is a clear attempt by US ... by the Cadets, to make a little fun of ourselves ... and the entire controversy. After all .... it's just a little voice ... and drum corps! We will move on to the next challenge in 2008

Ditto everything you said. It's way over the top. I had to cover my ears during a live perfomance. My wife, who is new to drum corps, got up and left - and she's not squeemish. Two thumbs way down on the narration. <**>

"Narration"

The only "Narration" required is that done by Brandt Crocker or Fran Haring prior to and immediatly after the corps performance. Running your mouth in an attempt to "Enhance" the corps performances is a huge distraction (As noted elsewhere) negates all the effort of the marching members to a supporting role, and an INSULT to your audience. :sshh:

We can figure out the show without the "Spoken Word". :unsure:

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

I can accept narration if it doesn't hit me over the head with a sledgehammer.....'Coats is an excellent example...I LOVED their show....probably my fave of the night on Saturday.

I do not -- however -- want or need to be bludgeoned into having to enjoy Cadets' narration...if it wasn't so pervasive and -- frankly -- cloying (the line about the kid being different in school....ick) I'd probably be ABLE to enjoy it....

The narration is excellent from a construction and performance standpoint....it's just way WAY too much!

3) When the one kid said "And when I play my trumpet, something wonderful happens" it took all of my willpower to NOT should out "Yeah....you shut up!"

1) Agree 100%. I find myself doing this everytime!

3) I know George (DCP) told me to get my mind out of the gutter but something completely different pops into my head everytime I hear that line. B)

6) In Clovis I heard people laughing at this one. Maybe Hoppy knew he'd get this reactionand that's why it's there?

Sam, I agree with some of your points, mostly the ones above. You also know me and how I feel about narration so you know how hard it is for me to say this but...

I won't *shutter* be leaving during this show. Everything except the narration is just THAT good! The corps is smoking this year!

Hoppy, why are you posting? Don't you have better things to be doing right now?

Hey! I was right about you throwing that line in there! Woohoo!

Hey Hrothgar, Hoppy is in the thread. Now's your chance to tell him everything you've been ranting about the past year! Let's hear it!

Edited by skajerk

it's just way WAY too much!

That is just it. It's too much. The hornline is great! Don't distract from them with constant talking. As a friend of mine says..."Good doesn't need to be explained.".

Running your mouth in an attempt to "Enhance" the corps performances is a huge distraction

Yep!