I&E

So, after checking out the I&E recaps, I noticed a quick trend.

75% of DCI doesn't have kids competing in I&E. Are more corps out there outlawing their members from competing?

There's way too much talent out there going un-noticed. Are corps' just not wanting to lose a member from rehearsal for 4 hours? It'd just be nice to see a larger pool of competition out there.

Only 1 bass drum ensemble? That's what just really got me going tonight.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why many corps elected not to be involved but

WOW The Academy Brass Ensemble #1 The Academy Brass Ensemble #1 The Academy 96.75 1 This was the tubas and they were hot....!!!!!! Most entertaining they deserve first place. ....look out big boys here come the new kids on the block...Props to VK nice job on our ensemble performance. They did a little take me out to the ball game.. it was fun. All in all most of what we viewed was div. 2 and 3 corps except maybe snare solos where BD ruled the day, with papa scott in the back ground..

Edited by leeb

Are corps' just not wanting to lose a member from rehearsal for 4 hours? It'd just be nice to see a larger pool of competition out there.

It's not just losing rehearsal time; it's also taking away from "down" time on free days during tour . . . these kids are practicing their I&E stuff instead of doing laundry and sleeping.

Edited by NVCadet

I / E's are just completely unnecessary for a corp who wants to be competitive. allowing kids to participate in I / E's allows the to put alot of free time to work on their enemble / solo / whatever piece over the entire season.

when a drum corps staff wants you to relax, they really want you to relax...

plus there are probably infinite other 'show related' skills that the members could be working on. further, it is just impractical for many corps. I know that vanguard pulled out of I / E's this year cause of the close competition.. the day before quarterfinals, the last day to have a true full rehearsal, its dumb that a corp would lose nearly a whole practice day so close to the end.

I dunno... BD always seems to have a few I&E winners and a bunch of participants, and they seem to do okay at Finals.... :)

I guess I'm of the school of thought that practicing music in one regard will help you in others. If a student has the initiative to to learn/create an I&E piece, I'd suspect that most times they're pretty shored up within the field show.

I'm sure a corps that allow I&E competitors put a high value on having well rounded musicians that are capable of performing well in such an exposed environment.

Edited by Keith Laubhan

My theory is that people participate in I&E for two reasons:

1. Fun.

2. To win.

I only participated in I&E once in my four years, because the ensemble was fun. I had no interest in trying to win a title. I was there to do the show. Others may feel the same, and the competitiveness of the summer could only contribute.

I can at least answer that for Cadets. Last year I e-mail George Hopkins and asked him why Cadets never sent anyone to compete (I seem to remember that back in 89 they were about the only corps that did not send members to I&E. To quote:

We believe corps is a team game -- To put the members in a position where individual achievement is rewarded by one or two judges moves against the grain for the organization.

It has bugged me that participation at I&E has been going down. As a musician and a music educator, I think corps that are not allowing their kids to compete are doing them a disservice.

I think DCM had the right idea. The day after DCM Finals, all the DCM corps would take the day off. The food vehicles gathered round in a circle and the members got the day off. DCM would do I&E and it's Field Day competition. For a lot of people, their best corps memories occured that day. Most importantly, the day reminded everyone that the members should be having fun. I wish DCI would do the same.

While I can respect George Hopkins philosophy on I&E, I do disagree that it was about indivdual achievement. When I walked in on that stage alone, I felt like I was representing the entire corps in every aspect, from behavior to performance. If I won, the corps won.

The argument that I&E takes up rehearsal time or saps the performer's level is bunk. Members that go to I&E are rehearsing outside corps time, deciding to use that 15 minutes to work on I&E rather than take a quick nap. At the same time, these performers also understand that they have to work that much harder so that they can keep their corps performance level on par with the other members.

Let's be honest, the kids who are competiting at I&E are probably the best of the best in their respective sections. They will perform at the level that needs to be performed. More corps should feel comfortable enough to allow their members to perform at I&E. The biggest regret I had was that the Regiment staff did not let us go to I&E in 1990 (of course not telling us this in April). So that meant people like myself, Amanda Drinkwater, J.D. Shaw, Lee Hansen, and J.J. Pipitone didn't get the opportunity we should have.

The argument that I&E takes up rehearsal time or saps the performer's level is bunk. Members that go to I&E are rehearsing outside corps time, deciding to use that 15 minutes to work on I&E rather than take a quick nap. At the same time, these performers also understand that they have to work that much harder so that they can keep their corps performance level on par with the other members.

I support anyone's decision to participate in I&E, but I do disagree with the above. I don't believe that I&E members are reducing their own performance level, but they are cutting into the rehearsal for everyone else at easily the most critical time of the season (the day before Quarters). If things are close, every moment counts including the few hours with a divided corps for I&E.

I dunno... BD always seems to have a few I&E winners and a bunch of participants, and they seem to do okay at Finals.... :)

I guess I'm of the school of thought that practicing music in one regard will help you in others. If a student has the initiative to to learn/create an I&E piece, I'd suspect that most times they're pretty shored up within the field show.

I'm sure a corps that allow I&E competitors put a high value on having well rounded musicians that are capable of performing well in such an exposed environment.

I agree a corps last year did a really cool song and it was just for laughs. They werent out to win, but placed pretty high. It was all in good fun.