Booing and the Cadets

what does that have to do with anything?

He sure knows alot about how performers feel, just wanted to know if he has performed at a DCI event.

The Cadets drill was not that demanding either. effective and dazzling perhaps but they have done more complicated and demanding drill in the past. Theirs was different, but not really any harder than cavies.

And I seem to recall the Cadets marching to Narration alot and standing still while playing the complicated bits of music. I have been a HUGE Cadets fan for 20+ years, but their show this year is nothing special

I can't get into the whole microphone thing. I watched the cadets show. Classic cadets. Flyin around, moving here and there, sharp turns, speed...but that's what i did. Just, watched. The whole talking thing just turns it off for me. I was in a theatre tonight near Chicago. Once they were finished there was some clapping, but mostly people just seeing it, lookin at it, and going..."oooooooooook, they talked a lot."

I posted this in another topic, but I just wish that all the people who say, "we're not booing the kids, we're booing Hopkins" would cheer loudly this week, and then 2 weeks from now, you can all meet up outside the YEA offices in Allentown and boo as loudly as you want.

Because if you don't think this affects them, whether they are prepared for it or not, whether they know it's not directed at them or not, then you're saddly mistaken.

If I were to say, I'm not booing at you, I'm booing at your rediculous post, would you be able to separate the two, or would you take it personally?

You know what, Hoppy hasn't F'd up the activity anymore than the fans that booed tonight have.

I really have to disagree with this statement.

Is booing going to change what happens in the activity.

No.

Is what Hoppy does going to change the activity.

More than likely.

Hopkins or the kids... BIG F'ING DEAL!!!! ITS THE SAME THING.

Are you actually going to tell me that any of those kids knows the difference???? All they know is that they were getting booed, and yes, they were a bit shaken up.

No one in this activity should get booed, PERIOD! If you don't like it, go for a walk. But these kids and these staff's work all summer long to perform for you. If you can't show them the smallest bit of respect, then get the hell out.

And I am beyond frustrated... I am mad as hell!

Quite simply, you're wrong. None of those kids are 3rd graders who can't tell the difference between non-approval for the show and personal insults. They all are in college and stay current with the activity. They know that Hopkins is not generally approved, and that his taste in shows is look on with disdain. If you really think that anyone was booing the kids themselves, or if you think that the kids thought that they were the target of the booing, you're immensely mistaken.

And flammaster is right, none of them are even kids. They are young adults who are quite well versed in the ups and downs of live performance art. They don't need to be coddled like 9 year olds at a elementary band recital.

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

I don't know about the theaters that everyone else was at, but at my theater, there were serious signs of disrespect. Before the intermission, when DCI shows 10 second or so clips of all of the corps that perform after the break, as soon as the Cadets came up, there was a chorus of boos from the back of the auditorium. This was before the Hopkins field lines controversy, and there was no picture or Hopkins reference on the screen at the time of the boos. These people booed the Cadets, not Hopkins, not YEA!, they booed the Cadets Drum and Bugle Corps.

Was it like this everywhere, or is Rochester, NY particularly disrespectful?

I have friends and former students marching in the cadets this year and i truely feel sorry for them. I think the boos were more directed to hop than to the kids, as the crowd did cheer when they came back on. but it was a a well deserved penalty and i agree that there was a better way of going about it. Its too bad...

welcome to the west coast, cadets....--i remember hearing about the Blue Devils getting booed when they came to the east coast.

life goes on.....

Quite simply, you're wrong. None of those kids are 3rd graders who can't tell the difference between non-approval for the show and personal insults. They all are in college and stay current with the activity. They know that Hopkins is not generally approved, and that his taste in shows is look on with disdain. If you really think that anyone was booing the kids themselves, or if you think that the kids thought that they were the target of the booing, you're immensely mistaken.

And flammaster is right, none of them are even kids. They are young adults who are quite well versed in the ups and downs of live performance art. They don't need to be coddled like 9 year olds at a elementary band recital.

Its still not classy.