Booing and the Cadets

There is no place in drum corps for booing. Period.

It's "supposed" to be a youth activity. And "fun", right?

Actually, there's no place for booing at any level of drum corps.

How can anyone boo these young men, and women, in good conscience? They have made enormous sacrifices to be a part of an incredible activity. They have worked their collective butts off for several months, and their performances are absolutely amazing! They pour every ounce of their hearts and souls into what they're doing on the field of performance.

Anyone that would boo an individual, or individuals that offer that kind of intense passion, and energy, has got a serious problem, and might just be a bit envious, or, more than likely, jealous.

These are not the highly overpaid professional athletes that we follow in the world of sports. That is a completely different ball of wax, and we have every right to jeer those individuals, as they are "professionals" being paid to perform a job. When they don't execute and perform their job in a desirable manner, we have every right to express our displeasure. (The NY Yankee fans, myself included, did just that for A-Rod's first few years in pinstripes. And he deserved it!).

But please, back off from the booing at drum corps shows. There is no place for it.

I know what it's like to be booed by a DCI crowd at prelims, and finals. (1977 Denver, CO) It isn't fun. But, it does teach you a lot about life, and about being strong, and resilient. In Denver, we used it to our advantage, and you can actually hear the jeers gradually change to cheers during the course of our show, at finals. It was an experience that I will never forget. We were met with adversity, confronted it, and we overcame it, in a blaze of glory.

I am not a fan of narration, although I believe that the Bluecoats are utilizing it in an extremely effective manner. In my opinion, their moderate use of narration works very well, and lends itself to their excellent performance, and show theme.

I haven't seen the Cadets, this year, but have heard and read much about their "very controversial" show. Many have told me that, in their opinion, the Cadet's use of narration is excessive, and distracting. But, regardless of how you feel about the design of their show, I don't believe ANYONE has the right to boo them, on the field of performance. If you don't like the show design, express yourself to the staff members in an e-mail, as someone else suggested earlier in this thread. Do you honestly think the members of the corps, while on the field, can determine to whom the boos are directed toward? Give me a break!

With that said, I wish the Cadets the best of luck in their quest for another title! (Actually, those that were booing may have "helped" propel them toward yet another championship! Not that they need the help. I hear that they have a legitimate shot at winning another title.)

And to all of the corps in competition... I wish you the best of luck! May it be as beautiful an experience for you, as it was for me.

And by the way, someone else mentioned that the Blue Devils were booed when they first came east. What???

You've gotta be kidding me!!!

We all went WILD when the Blue Devils came east!!! We were always blown away by their performances! I only saw people "doing back flips", and "throwing babies" when the Blue Devils toured on the east coast. I find it very hard to believe that they ever encountered any kind of booing, or jeering, when performing anywhere!!!

They have always been a HUGE draw, and very popular, whenever, and wherever they've performed on the east coast.

And that hasn't changed.

Enjoy the rest of the season, everyone!

Jim Jordan

Bayonne Bridgemen

edit: I was happy that BD won tonight but now I think it would be pretty darn cool if the Cadets came back and won this thing so they could tell everyone in the stands to go stick their lousy attitudes up their snoots.

Doesnt this really tell you however who runs DCI and who its for? The answer in both cases is not fans. Hopkins has to have a good crowd reaction to solidify his position in the band world where his half time show concepts are more warmly received. The members in Cadets are just a means to an end, that end being furthering Hopkins career.

There are probably a fair amount of people on the West coast seeing Cadets for the first time this year, maybe in a few so it was probably somewhat jarring. Add to that him acting like a baboon in view of all these people.

Why do none of the Cadet fans want to lay blame on the shoulders of the person probably solely responsible for the booing?

I speak as, as a drum corps enthusiast and theorist, a performer, a musician, a fan, a writer, but most especially, a grade A pure bred home grown 16th note stickin' stop' n' goin' running his butt off blowin' his brains out balls to the wall all or nothin' do or die win or loose tough as nails MAROON BLEEDING "see" "ay" "dee" "E" "Tee" CADET and I want to say something about the kids in the drum corps that got booed off the field last night.

They don't care. They really don't care about the boo's. They don't care about hash marks. They don't care about penalties. THey don't care about winning. They don't care about loosing. They don't care about you or me. Right now every single one of the members in that God - blessed drum corps right now is not thinking abotu last night.... I assure you. I used to be there. Yeah we had some flack for a few things back in '05... but nothing compared to today, and you know what, it doesn't matter. I will tell you the mental state of these kids. They are not shaken up. They're not hurt or sad. These are fierce competitors that do not let emotion come into play. I bet you ANYTHING that last night every single one of these PROFESSIONALS would have killed to go out there and be the GODS they are hashes or no hashes. They would have marched on coals if they had to let alone without hashes. I'm not commenting on Mr. Hopkins' choice to call it out -- that's irrelevant. I'm commenting on the utter tenacity that this corps displays. They would have gone out there without hashes just to see if they could make it happen. I will let the non-cadet community in on a little secret. These kids are crazy. Literally crazy, they will put everything on the line just for a taste of glory. If you tell them to get across the entire field in 8 counts while playing trumpet voluntary they will stay up all night trying to make it happen instead of eating sleeping or doing anything remotely close to what might be described under normal human limitations.

So what are the cadets doing right now. They're practicing stop 'n go's, they're looking at their dot books. They're going over licks that they already have looked at every night. They're thinking about the show. THey're not thinking about hash marks or last night or boos or rude fans. That moment is gone. It doesn't exist anymore and all they care about is that direction change in the second movement tonight. The high A they have to stick. The buzz roll that slips sometimes. That toss in the opener. They are imortals. They are uneffected. They will not let the ignorance and anti-class of the fans hinder them from giving it up... giving all they have... all they possibly have not for the fans... not for the staff... not for themselves... but rather, for the Cadets. The members past and present and future. With each count they execute tonight the members of the Cadets add a brick to the monument that stands for the meaning and honor of the Cadets Drum and Bugle corps. You can love them or hate them, cheer them or boo them. But they are The Cadets, The Cadets of Bergen County, The Garfield Cadets, The Holy Name Cadets, and they are in the business of being perfect. The cadet craves most a challenge. GO ahead, give them an impossible show and they will perform it like nothing. Go ahead and boo them... it will only make them play louder.

The Cadet does not care about anything other than doing impossible things better than anything else on the planet. Cadets love to get their ##### kicked. So go ahead. Spit in their face, they will not notice, they are too busy focusing on their yard line relationships, their body allignment, their intonnation, their articulation patters, they think of nothing other than details. Nothing other than being better than perfect. Nothing other than being a Cadet.

I swear to God if you people try to close this thread or merge it... notice the difference. Understand what I'm saying and post your comments now. This is not about penalties. This is about the Cadets.

Great post. My experience was phan reaction, while appreciated, was always a distant second...

I am rather appalled at recent events. I was taught both by my band director and my corps director that you never boo other performers. You give them the same respect that you would want them to show. It's about RESPECT and it's about CLASS. This applied to the members, the staff, the parents, and the fans.

I think a lot of people are missing out on the fact that there is a really good show there. I think as time goes by people will realize that. I seem to remember how nearly everyone hated 93 Star, but now people can't get enough of that show.

There is a difference, however (booing aside...). Star was working within the envelope, and pushing the daylights out of it, in order to create something different within the medium. The envelope was not being changed, however. And since (for 1993) it was so visionary it is now celebrated and respected now.

George (by way of his vehicle, the Cadets) are completely out of the envelope, and are trying instead to work in a 3-ring circus; ignoring the envelope completely. This show would be accepted in another medium...but since it is perceived to be beyond the rules (whether it is or not) is the reason why it is not only accepted, but absolutely reviled by the general DC public. I doubt this show will receive that respect 14 years from now for that very reason.

It is because George used it as a protest...and sadly for its membership (although aware of its controversial content) they are caught in the middle. :(

Look, if people boo does it make it really right or wrong,most of us know, that these talented ladies and gentlemen have worked there tails off to get to the performance level that they are at, and I really doubt anyone was booing the "kids" I think its just a way of expressing ones feelings, while some people express ones feelings extorvertly, some people think that everyone should just keep there opinions to ourselves. If someone wants to boo someone for whatever reason especially at an event that one has purchased a ticket for I think they have every right to do so, just like they have a right too scream "spank me" in the middle of a ballad.

I would not boo at a drum corps show myself, cause, I would not want everyone to look at me saying wtf like a lynch mob will usally do. but I think it is neither right or wrong to boo, it is just a way to express ones feeling, and expressing ones feelings is to be human........and we are all not made the same, DEAL WITH IT!

besides if those kids felt offended for being booed it should give them momentum to kick it up a notch.

"What doesnt kill you makes you stronger"

Edited by CoreyD

Malarkey. It was also OK to have lions and tigers tear people apart in stadiums a couple of thousand years ago...well established and in existence for hundreds of years.

Thats exactly what drum corps needs now! Talk about making things more interesting. Angry Lions/Bears roaming the field. I bet you'd see the ratings on ESPN 2 Go up about 1000%

Verbatim, from the topic starter:

If you don't like electronics, great, more power too you ... But keep your ### SHUT if you don't have anything positive to add.
Huh? "More power to you", but "keep your ### shut"? (And I'm trying to guess which three-letter word those octothorps represent that the author found to be open en masse.

There's never much 'power' when the masses are intimidated into silence.

Good for those who finally (if 37 years too late) displayed anger. There's been precious little revolution since 1970.