Booing and the Cadets

I beg to differ.

I think George Hopkins got booed when the Cadets left the field.

and he deserved it, as well as the 2 point penalty he cost his corps.

even if he thought the field needed relining there was a better way to go about it.

The kids marching in Cadets are smart enough to know whats going on.

I didn't care for their show one bit, but I would never boo a performer.

I have booed directors who do stupid things, I have booed judges decisions.

But I would never boo a performer.

What a defensive ignorant statement. Booing is low class, period. The kids in the Cadets may not care what you think (I"m quite certain they don't) but they are not out there dissecting applause and boos to determine who means what. George Hopkins is a class act and has done some great things for DCI, the Cadets, and music in the schools.

What a monday-morning quarterback you are. "there was a better way to go about it? WHat should he have done? Gone up into the stands to explain to the booing so-called fans what he was doing? Like they would have cheered and said "Oh, okay. NOw I understand".

What have you selflessly done for others lately?

I think it's utterly immature and petty to deprive kids who work as hard as the ones in the Cadets a positive audience reaction because you're upset about pieces of electronic equipment. But I guess that's just the nature of the anti-amp crowd.

Booing is not cool but I wish people would stop referring to them and calling them kids.

They are not kids, they are young but they are not kids, they are professional entertainers they don't need to be coddled or protected, that in it's self is (to me) disrespectful.

Professionals in the entertainment business are booed and heckled sometimes, they can take it.

But they AREN'T professionals, if they were, they'd be taking home a paycheck for what they do. But they don't. They PAY to do it. They do it "for the love of the game". And they don't deserve to hear boos for their hard work.

"But we're no booing the corps, we're booing the show." If you can make that distinction about your booing, then why can't people make a distinction about what parts of the show they like, cheer that, and (taking some advice that they give the Cadets) shut up about the rest?

It saddened me to read in these forums a review that mentioned some SCVAlumni (allegedly) who were making 'unfortunate comments' in the stands. I wouldn't want anyone to feel censured but, as GR said, if you can be connected to the organization, you represent the organization to any individual you interact with. As our activity gets new fans, those fans will be influenced by their concept of 'fan'. Those who are more WWE than CYO/AL/VFW are to be expected. But it is up to the fans around them to gently influence them to understand it's not Veterans Stadium in November and we don't boo those who enter the field of honor.

I don't know of too many people that hate the cadets. They hate George Hopkins' attitude toward the fans and the far out crap he puts in his show every year. I know I'm tired of the awful narration and his condescending attitude towards the many fans that don't like it. I've given up on him every giving a crap what we think so I will try and enjoy the few parts where the hornline gets to play uninterrupted and cheer much louder for the other corps. I just hope his "style" of drum corps doesn't become more prevalent.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find even a handful of fans who hate The Cadets.

You will however be able to find quite a few who don't like their director or his taste in show design.

agreed. I have never been a part of the organization but I do have great respect for the performers. Although, I have not personally enjoyed their show concepts over the past couple years. This in no way means I have hatred towards the cadets, as I am sure is the case for most of the Drum Corps fan base.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find even a handful of fans who hate The Cadets.

You will however be able to find quite a few who don't like their director or his taste in show design.

Yes, there is a difference.

It's all about GH, NOT the corps!

RM - GARFIELD!

ampssuck

I had a long drive home to think about what I wanted to say. It was much worse while I sat in the parking lot of the Rose Bowl, fuming over what I had just seen and heard. And now, I’m just sad; for the kids, for the activity, and for the morons in the stands.

This night has affected me in so many ways that it’s difficult to comprehend. I am so angry, so enraged, that I could just scream… yet after seeing all the fighting on this message board and other places for the past seven or eight years, this doesn't surprise me anymore.

After tonight, I am embarrassed and ashamed to be a drum corps fan. I feel like I need to apologize to every member of the Cadets for what they endured this evening. And in case you weren't there, here is what they got for their performance:

-They were booed off the field by nearly every fan in the Rose Bowl

-They were heckled by many people in the stands

-They were laughed at by a good portion of the fans during the heckling

All of these things make me sick to my stomach! All of you who took part in this make me sick to my stomach. If I know you and have called you a friend, and you took part in any of the above mentioned acts of idiocy, I'm not sure I ever want to have anything to do with you ever again...

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON TO BOO ANY OF THESE KIDS, PERIOD! THERE IS NO REASON TO HECKLE ANY OF THESE KIDS, PERIOD. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, REGARDLESS OF YOUR PERSONAL VIEWS OF THE DIRECTOR OR THE CORPS! THIS SHOULD NOT BE TOLERATED!

IF YU TOOK PART IN THIS TONIGHT, YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF AND NEVER BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND ANOTHER DRUM CORPS EVENT... EVER.

You were disrespectful, hurtful, and quite honestly, you make pond scum look beautiful. ########, each and every one of you, and I have no problems telling that to each of your faces. You make me sick.

As a drum corps alumni, and most importantly, a parent, I just can't understand why people would do this. If you don't like electronics, great, more power too you. Go get a dog and a soda, and come back for the Dev's. But keep your ### SHUT if you don't have anything positive to add.

Southern California has waIted 35 years to host a Championship, and before we even get to finals night, we have already killed any chance of the Championships coming back for at least another 35. We shouldn’t be allowed to ever host this great event again… ever!

To all the performers, I want to apologize for what you had to endure tonight. You came back and kicked some butt, and for that you will always make me proud. To all of the fans that participated in the negativity, take it somewhere else. We don't need you, and don't want you.

And for the record, I can't stand mic's, voice or electronics. But after tonight, I love this show! Go Cadets!

I agree with you 100%.

However, as you see, those who boo'd would sooner die than admit that what they did was selfish, immature, and low class.

These arguments about "I was just booing George" or "The kids are tough" are statements that show they know what they are doing is wrong, but they are so self-centered that they feel they can offend and hurt peoples feelings in the name of what they like/don't like. Perhaps if someone punched them in the face when they boo and say "Hey, I'm not hitting you, I'm hitting your booing", then this crap would stop.

Unfortunately the once classy arena of drum corps has been infiltrated by selfish, ill-mannered people who have no regard for anything but their opinions and desires. And if this offends you because you boo, then you should ask yourself why.