Booing and the Cadets

I always wondered why people say the "kids" too.

These are young men and women, that choose to be in this corps and should expect some people to not like what they are doing.

Booing is LONG overdue in this activity, if there was more of it, maybe some people would get the point and stop some of the

radical things they are trying to push down everyone else's face.

Why is it ok for 20,000 people to BOO Duke when the play North Carolina in Basketball? Those kids are just young or younger than kids in some corps.

Oh and as for the lines, funny I remember going to see Star of Indiana do thier indoor production in 1994. They CRANKED OUT the 1993 closer, indoor, with not one hash mark or line on a blank floor.

While I will never condone booing a show (unless Michael Boo should walk along the track during a performance), let me say this. Since I was a BABY, the Cadets have been one of my favorite corps. Even in the years that they struggled, I was in the audience applauding the efforts of the kids on the field. Their championship shows have been stellar - even in 2005 when I felt the narration and weirdness were un-drumcorplike -the performance had me shaking my head, that shaking was accompanied by my jaw being in my lap at the talent level on display.

That being said, I think much of the disapproval of the audience at quarters had as much to do with the Cadets moving away from tradition rather than the actions of GH. George is just being George. However, the cheesy narration, ALMOST WITHOUT DISAGREEMENT, distracts from an awesome design concept and an awesome performance level. The audience is simply saying, "We want our Cadets back". Selfish? Perhaps. The Cadets belong to the Cadets. But wouldn't you give your right arm to see another "Appalachian Spring" show? That, IMHO, is the message these people are trying to project in their own (perhaps barbaristic) way. I want my Cadets back! That's all.

Give it a rest already!

All the other corps marched on the same field without whining. GH whined, got his way - as usual, got penalized - rightfully so, then whined again - got the penalty removed. What's new? I don't agree with the booing and heckling but come on - the entire situation was unneccesary.

They should have just marched. They would have been fine!

I speak as, as a drum corps enthusiast and theorist, a performer, a musician, a fan, a writer, but most especially, a grade A pure bred home grown 16th note stickin' stop' n' goin' running his butt off blowin' his brains out balls to the wall all or nothin' do or die win or loose tough as nails MAROON BLEEDING "see" "ay" "dee" "E" "Tee" CADET and I want to say something about the kids in the drum corps that got booed off the field last night.

They don't care. They really don't care about the boo's. They don't care about hash marks. They don't care about penalties. THey don't care about winning. They don't care about loosing. They don't care about you or me. Right now every single one of the members in that God - blessed drum corps right now is not thinking abotu last night.... I assure you. I used to be there. Yeah we had some flack for a few things back in '05... but nothing compared to today, and you know what, it doesn't matter. I will tell you the mental state of these kids. They are not shaken up. They're not hurt or sad. These are fierce competitors that do not let emotion come into play. I bet you ANYTHING that last night every single one of these PROFESSIONALS would have killed to go out there and be the GODS they are hashes or no hashes. They would have marched on coals if they had to let alone without hashes. I'm not commenting on Mr. Hopkins' choice to call it out -- that's irrelevant. I'm commenting on the utter tenacity that this corps displays. They would have gone out there without hashes just to see if they could make it happen. I will let the non-cadet community in on a little secret. These kids are crazy. Literally crazy, they will put everything on the line just for a taste of glory. If you tell them to get across the entire field in 8 counts while playing trumpet voluntary they will stay up all night trying to make it happen instead of eating sleeping or doing anything remotely close to what might be described under normal human limitations.

So what are the cadets doing right now. They're practicing stop 'n go's, they're looking at their dot books. They're going over licks that they already have looked at every night. They're thinking about the show. THey're not thinking about hash marks or last night or boos or rude fans. That moment is gone. It doesn't exist anymore and all they care about is that direction change in the second movement tonight. The high A they have to stick. The buzz roll that slips sometimes. That toss in the opener. They are imortals. They are uneffected. They will not let the ignorance and anti-class of the fans hinder them from giving it up... giving all they have... all they possibly have not for the fans... not for the staff... not for themselves... but rather, for the Cadets. The members past and present and future. With each count they execute tonight the members of the Cadets add a brick to the monument that stands for the meaning and honor of the Cadets Drum and Bugle corps. You can love them or hate them, cheer them or boo them. But they are The Cadets, The Cadets of Bergen County, The Garfield Cadets, The Holy Name Cadets, and they are in the business of being perfect. The cadet craves most a challenge. GO ahead, give them an impossible show and they will perform it like nothing. Go ahead and boo them... it will only make them play louder.

The Cadet does not care about anything other than doing impossible things better than anything else on the planet. Cadets love to get their ##### kicked. So go ahead. Spit in their face, they will not notice, they are too busy focusing on their yard line relationships, their body allignment, their intonnation, their articulation patters, they think of nothing other than details. Nothing other than being better than perfect. Nothing other than being a Cadet.

I swear to God if you people try to close this thread or merge it... notice the difference. Understand what I'm saying and post your comments now. This is not about penalties. This is about the Cadets.

We don't care either it's just a drumcorp show! After Saturday night it will slowly disappear like many others with only a Faint whisper of (WTF). This show won't be remembered as one of the Great shows of all time and that's sad. It will only be remembered for the horrible vocals and Hoppies moment in the spot light.

Oh and as for the lines, funny I remember going to see Star of Indiana do thier indoor production in 1994. They CRANKED OUT the 1993 closer, indoor, with not one hash mark or line on a blank floor.

My guess is there were probably numbers on the lip of the stage that served the same purpose as they do for musical performers in more conventional Broadway shows. But maybe not.

Actually most were probably still sleeping when you posted....

"So what are the cadets doing right now. They're practicing stop 'n go's, they're looking at their dot books. They're going over licks that they already have looked at every night. They're thinking about the show."

sorry, had to!

Actually most were probably still sleeping when you posted....

"So what are the cadets doing right now. They're practicing stop 'n go's, they're looking at their dot books. They're going over licks that they already have looked at every night. They're thinking about the show."

sorry, had to!

I posted at 9:27 A.M. the cadets were stretching. not sleeping.

OOOOOH...I thought they were in California today for finals...cause it's about 6:27 there at 9:27 on the east coast.

Or did that time machine idea finally pan out?

Is booing really horrible? Within a stadium, booing has long been an established method of voicing disapproval of what is happening on the field. This goes back much further than DCI's history.

Malarkey. It was also OK to have lions and tigers tear people apart in stadiums a couple of thousand years ago...well established and in existence for hundreds of years.

they're stretching at 6:27 am PST??