Booing and the Cadets

I’m truly embarrass for Cadet Fans with their arrogant, self aggrandizing, controlling behavior – basically, they have not lived up to the values preached in that show at all.

OK, that's a lie, I'm not really embarrassed for them, I don't care what they do and they have been this way a long time. They love the boos and the status - its the hoppie trickle down

While "I" would never boo any corps, I support a fans right to express their feelings. This is not a junior high event where we support the kids no matter what, this is an activity that is performed outside in a football stadium, not a concert hall.

So you never boo, but you support those who do? It's not okay for you to boo, but it's okay for others to boo whenever they feel the urge? Can't be. It seems to me that someone who thinks booing is wrong for himself couldn't then say it's okay for others to do what he thinks is wrong. Wrong is wrong, right? Even if you think the boo-ers are the sort of morons who can't be expected to meet higher standards, it's still wrong, isn't it?

HH

For people that say it's a "bunch of kids" out there, I'd just like to say that most of the kids in drum corps are the same age as players on college sports teams... And they seem to be able to handle getting booed, because they can realize that it's just because of rivalries and the fans want their team to win instead of them. This applies to drum corps too. People boo the Cadets because they don't like their show, and wish that the corps THEY like would win...

That being said, I'm just pointing this kind of stuff out. I wouldn't boo a corps, but can understand why people boo, and they have a right to do so. I'm all for cheering really loudly for YOUR team rather than booing the other team.

Maybe if we stopped treating members of a corps as a "bunch of kids," as people seem so fond of calling them, and start thinking of them as the actual young ADULTS that they are, people won't make such a big deal out of these kinds of things.

Wrong is wrong, right? Even if you think the boo-ers are the sort of morons who can't be expected to meet higher standards, it's still wrong, isn't it?

Technically, in the cosmic sense, there is no such thing as wrong. :P

Besides, you see this play out in politics all the time. People don't personally agree with something, yet they support another persons freedom to behave in that way. Makes sense to me.

yeah, we got a bunch of kids in Iraq and the yet bando's wittle fweelings are hurt because someone booed that stink on the field....waaaaaa, waaaaaa

Edited by cowtown

yeah, we got a bunch of kids in Iraq and the yet bando's wittle fweelings are hurt because someone booed that stink on the field....waaaaaa, waaaaaa

But what if the Iraqis started booing our troops?

But what if the Iraqis started booing our troops?

then'll we'll force them to watch 'This I believe' over and over again while wearing panties on their heads and piled into naked pyramids - death will be a kind mercy

or maybe we'll just send in Hoppie to talk to them

then'll we'll force them to watch 'This I believe' over and over again while wearing panties on their heads and piled into naked pyramids - death will be a kind mercy

or maybe we'll just send in Hoppie to talk to them

so childish... :blink:

One more thing. And this is why the booing was moronic, no matter what the intent.

Dan Acheson and DCI said clearly and unequivocally that Hopkins was correct. Not only was Hopkins correct, Acheson said, he behaved appropriately at all times and in all respects.

So it was those who booed - not the kids, not the Cadets, not Hopkins - who were wrong. Based on a misimpression in all cases and malice in some, those who booed behaved impulsively and ultimately ignorantly, vocalizing their negative sentiments before they knew the truth.

I’ve said it before on this board: Booing is wrong because DCI sold tickets for us to hear drum corps, not to hear what other fans think. Having the right TO BOO doesn’t mean it’s RIGHT to boo. Sharing your opinion is not the purpose for this event. Period.

I’ll give those who booed on Thursday this: You used the opportunity you had. You were waiting all year for a chance to boo the Cadets or narration or YEA or Hopkins or however you rationalize it. So when it seemed you had a technical point on which you could voice your outrage and still claim to support the kids, you took it.

But you were wrong. Hopkins and the Cadets were right, and you were wrong. The penalty was reversed. The boos echo. How wrong is that?

HH