The Rose Bowl

Guest xsabers

ARGH.. JUST MOVE IT ALL HERE! Rose Bowl is historic but it sucks as a DCI venue because it's too old and acoustics are bad (IMO).

GO HERE:

FIELD CONDITION BY CADETS

Cadets.jpg

NeutralNovice, THERE ARE NO HASH MARKS IN ANY OF YOUR PICTURES!!!!

THIS IS FLIPPING BRILLIANT!!!

Nice observation. How long was this show held up until they were painted for "the safety of the kids"? :blink:

Sorry, 15 yards for piling on...

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pasadena was ok. The Rose Bowl has a lot of history, but I don't think it was the right venue for this activity. The sound got lost before it got to us in the upper levels. Seating was made for midgets and you couldn't move once you got to your seat. If you wanted to go down to the bathroom or get food, you would have missed at leat 3 corps. LA traffic and airport was horrendous. I almost missed my flight after standing outside of the airport for 2 hours in line to check bags. I should have gone through Burbank, but hindsight is 20/20.

Nobody could tell me where the corps were warming up on Thursday. I got there early just to see that. I was really irritated. Waiting to get into the stadium from the outside on finals night took forever. My husband finally went over to some "officials" in golf carts at 5:00 and told them they had better open some more gates or there was going to be a stampede. They finally did open maybe 2 other gates to let some of the overflow in.

As for the field, looking at it from the stands was asthetically not pleasing, it looked washed out, bare and brown, and really not ready for any type of upcoming football season whatosever. From a marchers standpoint, my son said the field was unbearably hard, like marching on concrete 3 nights in a row.n The only other drawback was my son's housing site was far away and traffic was horrendous.

I arrange my vacation around this event and really enjoyed seeing some of the sights of LA. You will really have to sell me to get me to spend anytime in Indy prior to Quarters and finals. How's the weather in Indy that time of year?

I've heard more complaints about the Rose Bowl from DCI fans over the past week, than from UCLA fans over the past decade.

I've concluded that the majority of whiners are a bunch of incontinent lard-##### who don't have the common sense to realize that in ANY stadium it takes more than four minutes to make a return trip from one's seat to the concession stand or bathroom.

I can only imagine the complaints you would have about other historic stadia like Wrigley Field or Fenway Park.

You don't want to come back the next time Finals are in California? Fine. Good riddance.

P.S. If the seats were bigger, and there were more aisles, there would be less seats between the endzones, and some folks would have been sitting in the back of the end zone. Other than the LA Colesium, there are no stadiums on the west coast that come close to being able to seat 30,000 people on concert side.

Edited by ChiBoyinLA

People go to WGI in the same place every year. People go to the Indy 500 in the same place every year. Kentucky Derby, Masters, US Open (Tennis), Mardi Gras. Other things are in different places: Super Bowl, US Open (Golf), NBA All-Star game, Breeders Cup. So this moves from Column B to Column A.

In the past decade WGI had Championships at...

1997 - Phoenix, AZ

2001 - Milwaukee, WI

2004 - San Diego, CA

I've heard more complaints about the Rose Bowl from DCI fans over the past week, than from UCLA fans over the past decade.

I've concluded that the majority of whiners are a bunch of incontinent lard-##### who don't have the common sense to realize that in ANY stadium it takes more than four minutes to make a return trip from one's seat to the concession stand or bathroom.

I can only imagine the complaints you would have about other historic stadia like Wrigley Field or Fenway Park.

You don't want to come back the next time Finals are in California? Fine. Good riddance.

Just because a stadium is good for viewing football does not mean it has good accoustics for listening to drum corps. The rest of the facility was fine. My women friends were VERY happy with all the ladies restrooms. :)

NeutralNovice, THERE ARE NO HASH MARKS IN ANY OF YOUR PICTURES!!!!

THIS IS FLIPPING BRILLIANT!!!

Nice observation. How long was this show held up until they were painted for "the safety of the kids"? :blink:

Sorry, 15 yards for piling on...

About 10-15 minutes. I don't have a picture of finals night, but if you put the two side by side the difference in lining is like night and day.

About 10-15 minutes. I don't have a picture of finals night, but if you put the two side by side the difference in lining is like night and day.
They only had marked a small cross along each five yard line to represent the hash at quarters. The next day they had painted lines each yard at the front sideline, and front & back hashes. The reason for dci deciding to go with such minimal markings for the first round of contests is anybody's guess.

Thursdayhash.jpg

Fridayhash.jpg

man, I hated this place DCI blew it big time - I'll try to read this thread and see if everything was covered before I go off

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I wonder how much goes into finding the venues and how far ahead in advance it is planned. It's not like when they picked the venue, they said "hrm... can you turn on the lights so we can see how it will look like?". Do they actually check for "buzzing"? Have some people sit in various parts of the stadium? Or maybe this was the first time in DCI history that this has happened? :P You would think people who watch football in the Rose Bowl complain as well about it? or do they play during the day and really do not use the lights? If they do, you probably hear the fans more than the lights.

I was happy it came locally and has enticed me to go to the local shows now :) Thanks for bringing it hear. It's an experience for everyone (whether it's positive or negative).

Edited by AoiGSR

I wonder how much goes into finding the venues and how far ahead in advance it is planned. It's not like when they picked the venue, they said "hrm... can you turn on the lights so we can see how it will look like?". Do they actually check for "buzzing"? Have some people sit in various parts of the stadium? Or maybe this was the first time in DCI history that this has happened? :P You would think people who watch football in the Rose Bowl complain as well about it? or do they play during the day and really do not use the lights? If they do, you probably hear the fans more than the lights.

Football fans -- however -- don't go to teh RB to listen to music, so the buzzing of the lights isn;t an issue.

You would THINK that the buzzing would've been noted at TOC in 04...scouting California locations WAS part of teh reason it was done.

I suspect DCI was working on the Indy contract at the same time and wanted to get a finals in to California before the 10 year Indy stretch kicked in...and the RB was the best available venue of the ones they'd scouted.