The Rose Bowl

OK, overall a good show and a good venue .... BUT! ....

1. The corps warmed up like, 10 miles away. for me this is one of the best things at Finals - so there was no way to watch warm-ups AND see shows. <**>

2. For some reason, as with the above comment, the only playing allowed at the RB was on-field ----> no warmups ---> no playing themselves OFF the field after retreat -----> no age-out circles. <**> <**>

three of the BEST things about finals were eliminated due to some lame RB rule.

on the positive side - we should remember the following:

1. Weather - SoCal - B)

2. Finals - SoCal - 1st time EVER - I was stoked and got to see some SCV people I had not spoken to in 10 years - very cool, it was reunion-city for all us left-coasters.

3. Being one of the peeps who MARCHED on that field this weekend - the field condition was NOT BAD AT ALL. I did not notice any divots and do not care whether or not the hash marks are sprayed. bottom line- if you max-out the technique, bumps and holes do not faze you - and if you KEEP YOUR EYES UP and guide the to the form - lines and hash-marks dont exist - only people ... form, interval and edge-of-arc. I am certain that if the field didnt bother me - then it did not bother my junior li'l brother and sisters.

To sum - many thanks to DCI and sorry ... but thumbs down to RB rules. (I'm just bitter because I wanted to hear Santa Clara play "Clowns" and I didnt get to because of some stupid noise ordinance - I'm sure I'll get over it).

Finals was the only show I saw all year (bc of my rigorous performance/practice schedule) but to the shows that I actually SAW (serious delay getting into the stands, missed THREE corps while waiting in the tunnel) hat's off!

Excellent shows. I thought the Cadets were great, I just think the naration threw me off so badly it was hard to follow the ensemble, I didnt "get it." Cavies were visually spectacular and really had a nice groove going. PR got me all misty, so they win the "Tapper's most emotional corps of the night award." And after BD's final strains - I said, "They just won!" and they did so CONGRATS BD! If it cant be Vanguard I always root for the west coast. West is Best!

Edited by Tapper7

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. For some reason, as with the above comment, the only playing allowed at the RB was on-field ----> no warmups ---> no playing themselves OFF the field after retreat -----> no age-out circles. <**> <**>
I am sure that some corps warmed up their horns on the field. This seems to be something that many corps have fazed out on their own, some in favor of a show prologue.

The retreat thing has nothing to do with the Rose Bowl. We had a whole other thread about this, it has just been eliminated.

Years ago, DCI started having an age-out cerimony at semis which includes all corps from all divisions.

Prior to the performance, Dan Potter said something about it being the most attended finals since 1990, so whatever the record was in 90, you could put the estimate around. From my vantage point, I'd estimate a little over 30,000, maybe 32K. I may entirely wrong though. It's harder to tell in the Rose Bowl, being that there's no upper deck.

A very reliable source told me that they had sold over 30,000 tickets before the box office shut down on Friday night. So everything sold on Saturday was on top of that figure...

Regarding the Rose Bowl...

About time it was on the west coast, and I also thought, when it was rumored to be coming, that there were better venues than the Rose Bowl. But, since it is what it is: we had no problems with traffic, parking, or access; would have liked a little more legroom but knew what I was getting into; buzzing lights don't bite (and didn't really bother me once I got involved in the corps on the field); eat before you get there, or tailgate in the lot; the guy with the pocketful of liquor "minis" cracked me up; there would be more gates and concessions open if you had 100K+ like the Rose Bowl Game, or 60K+ like a UCLA game (more if they're playing USC).

Regarding LAX, you should have read my post in the announcements thread about traveling to, from, and within the LA area. LAX is one of the highest volume airports in the world, especially on Sunday mornings. Really, what did you expect? To just waltz onto your airline? Were you also aware that there was a computer malfunction for over 6 hours? International flights were stuck on the tarmac or in quarantine for hours. Incoming flights were also diverted to other airports, including Las Vegas. What you experienced was nothing.

LA is the second largest city in the US. (Sorry, Chicago. You're now the "Third City".) This ain't Buffalo or Madison, or even Birmingham. I had no trouble getting into or out of those places. Next time consider an alternative. Burbank and Ontario are closer than LAX.

Regarding traffic, has anyone here never heard about LA traffic before? Really? Next time (and there WILL be a next time), you can all PM me and I'll help you navigate the airport and freeways.

Yes, there are lots of things to do in SoCal. There are things to do everywhere DCI has been, except maybe Whitewater and Ithaca. But when I come to finals week, I come for drum corps. Last finals I went to was Dallas. I was all over the place going to rehearsals, all three days of competition in Div I, and some after parties. There was one day, before semis I think, when we went downtown for dinner and walked to the "grassy knoll", and the night before quarters in the West End. The rest was all drum corps, including my music choices in the car for 3000 miles getting there and back.

Garry in Vegas (but 42 years in SoCal)

Edited by CrunchyTenor

I am sure that some corps warmed up their horns on the field. This seems to be something that many corps have fazed out on their own, some in favor of a show prologue.

The retreat thing has nothing to do with the Rose Bowl. We had a whole other thread about this, it has just been eliminated.

Years ago, DCI started having an age-out cerimony at semis which includes all corps from all divisions.

Not sure you understand what I meant.

Age our circle - often times - the corps (both DCI and DCA) arc it up in the parking lot after their last show for an encore, sometimes this doubles as a tribute to the age-outs - who fall out and listen while their younger brothers and sisters wail it out 1 more time. It's super fun for fans, age-outs, alumni and especially the ones in the cheap seats who still want to have their faces blown off. Also it's a lot more fun and louder because the pressure is off.

I was not talking about on-field warm-up. Im talking about IN THE LOT, baby!!! There was no LOT bc the "lot" was at La Canada HS like 10-15 mins away. WEAK!

If the "not playing themselves off" thing at retreat is not the RB's fault then I withdraw my complaint.

Not sure you understand what I meant.

Age our circle - often times - the corps (both DCI and DCA) arc it up in the parking lot after their last show for an encore,

Oh that. I think that may be thing of the past as well. There has been a lot of talk about noise ordinances shutting everything down early in other threads. I don't remember hearing anyone playing in Madison last year. I always like to hear Phantom even though I never could remember the name of that ballad.

Others will know for sure.

The Rose Bowl sucked. Traffic was terrible. Lines to get in the tunnels were ridiculous. Lines for the food and restrooms were even worse. I have never heard louder lights. The seats were way too small. (A person next to me sat in the aisle the entire show because they could not fit in the seat). And speaking of that the entire aisle was full of people just sitting there. Which caused a problem because the people coming and going during every show had difficulty walking around and talking during every show. And worst of all I paid $125 for my seats and by the time I got to them I was on the 10 yard line. I feel so ripped off!!!

I love the fact that DCI came to California, but the venue was not good and it was poorly run. Most high school band shows are better run than that.

Bye DCI. Thanks for coming to California. Good luck in Indiana. I have been to almost every finals since 1972. But I think I am done. I am tired of feeling ripped off. I will go to the local shows.

And by the way, WAY TO GO BD!!! Congratulations for a great "Victory".

Edited by rkmusic

Lines to get in the tunnels were ridiculous.

This reminded me of something - during the Colts performance on Finals night, it looked the the stadium staff (not DCI people) were actually trying to force people to enter the stands out of the tunnels - during the corps' performance. I'm guessing maybe it was because of the backup in the tunnels, but what a distraction to suddenly have streams of people entering during the performance. (This was at section 20)

This reminded me of something - during the Colts performance on Finals night, it looked the the stadium staff (not DCI people) were actually trying to force people to enter the stands out of the tunnels - during the corps' performance. I'm guessing maybe it was because of the backup in the tunnels, but what a distraction to suddenly have streams of people entering during the performance. (This was at section 20)
In most places keeping those tunnels obstructed constitutes a fire code violation, so blocking the entrances at one of these major DCI shows can be a balancing act.

In 1992 I traveled all the way to Boston for the Drum Corps East Championships. I was "lucky" enough to have a seat right at the horizontal aisle and right next to the entrance. For the entire show there were people walking right in front of me. No amount of complaining to the usher had any sort of effect.

VERY BAD LIGHTING! I HATED IT!

ALSO, THE STADIUM WAS NOT EVEN BIG ENOUGH TO HOLD THE SOUND IN... I COULD BARELY HEAR THE CORPS BECAUSE THE SOUND JUST KEPT GOING OVER THE STADIUM.... IT WAS SOOOOO SMALL!!!!!!!!!