The Cadets at Quarterfinals

DCI messed this one up, NOT GEORGE! All other corps before the Cadets could have done the same thing but choose not too. People who say that if he wanted to make sure that this didn't happened should have checked it earlier.....well he probably figured that the paint crew was capable of doing their jobs and was told that would be painted. Look at it this way, both DCI and George learned their lesson before Finals night! Now we know neither of this will happen again.

I agree that every other corps had the choice to make a complaint. I'm not sure whether anyone else said anything, but I would think that after their performances, all the other corps directors probably said something to the show coordinator. I'm not against Hopkins decision, as I could see the issue being a potential hazard. However, he made way too big of a deal out of the entire situation. He should not have let the entire corps set up before calling them off the field. He should have made that decision the second he saw that hashes were hard to see, which I'm sure was well before the corps took their position. The corps could also simply have gone to the endzones during the process. The fiasco he created out of a seemingly small situation was a huge waste of time, and he should take the penalty for it.

Edited by thelittleman

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People are, of course, predisposed to disagree with George Hopkins on strange moves like he made last night, simply because they don't like him. But as the facts come out I think everyone can agree that Hopkins was right to make that move. I respect the risks he took, only he would do something that gutsy.

Even though he's not exactly one of my favorite people. To each their own I guess.

People are, of course, predisposed to disagree with George Hopkins on strange moves like he made last night, simply because they don't like him. But as the facts come out I think everyone can agree that Hopkins was right to make that move. I respect the risks he took, only he would do something that gutsy.

I have no real problem with asking the field to be relined. I have a problem with the way Hopkins acted about the entire thing. I also have a problem with the resulting inequality between the field conditions that the corps in that performance block had to deal with. I'm also not convinced that DCI's "it was our fault" escape clause really makes it alright. So The Cadets got their penalty reversed, but what about those who went on with the field that DCI admits they did not maintain to their own agreed standards? Everything surrounding that is suspect now.

Putting it on 'the line': Cadets' two point penalty withdrawn

Friday, August 10, 2007

By: Charity Musielak

DCI explains Quarterfinals penalty

Brief controversy was sparked during the 2007 Drum Corps International World Championship Quarterfinals on Aug. 8, when director George Hopkins, concerned for the safety of his corps performers, indicated that the hash marks were not visible on the field prior to his corps’ performance. A 15 minute delay followed until the lines were repainted at Rose Bowl Stadium.

All corps directors agreed at a Wednesday night meeting in preparation for the DCI World Championships that the field painting schedule would allow for the lines and hashes to be refreshed only during each of the scheduled breaks.

Based on that agreement the initial reaction of Drum Corps International Contest Director Tony DiCarlo, the Cadets were penalized two points for delay of contest. As all facts came forth, however, it was clear that while the yard lines were painted during the second break the hash marks had not been.

“At no time was Mr. Hopkins anything but respectful of the contest director and the situation. After reviewing all facts in the matter, Judge Administrator John Philips, Contest Director Tony DiCarlo, and myself determined that it was in the best interest of all parties involved in the competition to withdraw the penalty,” said DCI Executive Director Dan Acheson.

Turf managers at the Rose Bowl Stadium were quick to respond to the situation and have agreed to a more frequent painting schedule which will eliminate similar issues for the remaining nights of Division I competition.

“Drum Corps International would like to formally apologize to the members of the Cadets, their staff and their fans for any misconception based on actions of Thursday evening,” said Acheson. “All decisions were made on strict interpretation of the rules, but once the facts were in, the withdrawal of the penalty was seen as the appropriate option.”

That's right boys... Circle the wagons. This is typical organizational behavior. When dealing with a rogue you can't control, have someone in the organization (in this case, two people) fall on their swords to attempt to patch up the situation with the constituent group. It is a downright lie to say that Mr. Hopkins was nothing but respectful of the situation. Tens of thousands of fans sat and watched him create drama - with the bow, with the animated pursuit of Acheson, etc. These actions do not communicate respect. They do not communicate solidarity with his colleauges and the drum corps fans.

Nice try DCI... I suspect that you were genuinely trying to take the high road, but in the process you just covered yourself in ####

I have no real problem with asking the field to be relined. I have a problem with the way Hopkins acted about the entire thing. I also have a problem with the resulting inequality between the field conditions that the corps in that performance block had to deal with. I'm also not convinced that DCI's "it was our fault" escape clause really makes it alright. So The Cadets got their penalty reversed, but what about those who went on with the field that DCI admits they did not maintain to their own agreed standards? Everything surrounding that is suspect now.

If an earlier corps director had squawked about it, fine. They would have had that option if they felt the hashes were too faint. The fact is....they chose NOT to. Of course, the field got worse and worse as each of the corps marched, so a few corps earlier than the Cadets the field would not have been as bad as it was when they came out.

Yes, the hashes should have been relined...No, they were not. George decided that for his corps...when they performed....he needed them to be made right, as indeed they should have been earlier.

If an earlier corps director had squawked about it, fine. They would have had that option if they felt the hashes were too faint. The fact is....they chose NOT to. Of course, the field got worse and worse as each of the corps marched, so a few corps earlier than the Cadets the field would not have been as bad as it was when they came out.

Yes, the hashes should have been relined...No, they were not. George decided that for his corps...when they performed....he needed them to be made right, as indeed they should have been earlier.

If DCI had an agreement to keep the field lined a certain way, it should not matter whether anybody complained or not. They admit now that the field was not kept at the standard they agreed to, according to their own release. This invalidates the performances beyond that point since it was not a properly maintained field of competition. The fact that some corps directors did not catch the mistake does not mean the mistake is ok.

Edited by Tekneek

</delurk>

3 words: 2006 DCA Semi-finals (or is that 4? I dunno)

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I'm not going to look through the whole thread to find it.

Just about every corps marched their show with nothing but the 50 to go off of. It's doable. By this point in the season the kids should have their shows in muscle memory, anyway. I was intimidated marching onto the field in Rochester last year and realizing the yard lines had been washed away, but after the first few sets, it really was a non-issue. And if memory serves me right, there were no accidents or injuries that night.

</relurk>

If DCI had an agreement to keep the field lined a certain way, it should not matter whether anybody complained or not. They admit now that the field was not kept at the standard they agreed to, according to their own release. This invalidates the performances beyond that point since it was not a properly maintained field of competition. The fact that some corps directors did not catch the mistake does not mean the mistake is ok.

I did not say it's OK. I agree that it is NOT OK. A mistake was made during the last break...if none of the other directors caught it...or the lines were still OK when their corps went on...doesn't mean it's OK...it just means that those directors didn't ask to have them repainted. By the time it got the The Cadets, Hoppy decided differently. Whatever degradation there was on the field was sufficient enough to bother Hoppy, and he wanted it fixed. I fail to see why it's HIS problem at all in these threads.

I don't agree (of course!) that it invalidates the performances, as their corps admins went on with their performances. If one had asked for a repaint and were turned down, THAT would be bad.