Is DCI Dying?

Do we really need another BOA?? :P

Just a quick point: How many corps were at DCI in 1980 versus how many were at DCI in 2006?

By that standard - I'm afraid I must say yes.

There were 40 DCI corps' in New York alone. Now... absolutely 0 DCI corps'.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that it's almost dead already. Bandos are pretty much running it now, which is a laugh, a gas, and a last breath. My final words?....Bandos KISS MY **** !!!!! NO SURRENDER !!!!

There were 40 DCI corps' in New York alone. Now... absolutely 0 DCI corps'.

I have to agree that DCI is dying - I feel that it is the kids. I think from some of the responses from the younger folk that kids are VERY different now - they have their Ipods, cell phones and internet. Why in the world would they need to march!

I was able to catch several rehearsals in Atlanta this year and I was blown away by the number of kids just walking off the field when they felt like it to use the rest room or whatever. This is what breaks are for! I took over a small band program this year where the kids would rather "socialize at the mall" on Friday nights than march. (95 kids in the band program, only 30 marching!)

DCI has changed about everything from the past that could possibly change and it scares me to death.

Maybe I have outgrown DCI? Who knows - but it really saddens me. I have been in a DCA corps for the past 3 seasons and have had more entertainment there than I have from DCI since around 2000.

Give me 1977 27th Lancers any day!!! - I really hate when younger kids who look at one video tape can make judgements about drill etc. Zingali was such an innovator back in the day! I remember the day when Cadets, Cavaliers, and others were not in the top 12.

Only one show this year really got my heart beating. Thank you Carolina Crown for your efforts this season.

I watch the 1977 DVD and I'm asleep halfway through the first corps. I guess DCI was dead back then.

Your personal tastes have nothing at all to do with DCI's livelihood

C'mon, man! The '77 Blue Devils weren't that bad. Not their strongest championship year, mind you, but still a soild performance.

I really have to disagree already. Obviously DCI is going places it hasn't gone before, but the quality of musical entertainment has deminished greatly. I watch the 1977 DVD and am entertained the whole way through. I watch the 2006 DVD and get bored with most about halfway through except a select few.

Your comments make me tired and I have grown wearisome even attempting a response. There's shows Labor Day Weekend for DCA...I suggest you attend. DCI is never ever going to be what you want it o be again. EVER. Get it?

Yes...I said...EVER!

Edited by Tom Brace

Dying? Hardly. But it is changing somewhat.

Give me a talented hornline that can play at all dynamic levels (not just RFL!), a clean drumline and some nice visual eye candy (hot chicks - THANK YOU CROWN!) and sweet drill) and I'm a happy guy.

Cavie 95, what's your definition of a clean drumline? I gotta be honest here, they're pretty few and far between these days (exception of Phantom last year, Cadets a couple of years recently, and probably Devs 03...).

That'd be what, 4 lines?

Not much to write home about.

Hornlines? They're just marching band brass these days, nothing like the old days. I don't need "RFL!" all the time, but how about at least once a show?

Drill is DEFINITELY much better, that's a given. Fun stuff to watch. Too bad the musicality (AND the volume) has gone out the window thanks to that light speed drill.

I do love a hot guard though! :)

I watch the 1977 DVD and I'm asleep halfway through the first corps. I guess DCI was dead back then.

Your personal tastes have nothing at all to do with DCI's livelihood

Corps back then were not bold and daring like nowadays... Everything was symetrical and that was a bit boring... Now Corps really mix it up. DCI will never die. It only has become nothing but better these past few decades... Just more evolving. The only people who would watch the old DCI, say there was a new division made, would be the ones who marched back then... But when that generation has come and gone, that will die out and the DCI of today will be old. Get what Im saying? Its just evolution. You cant go against nature.

OK GET WITH IT OLD DRUM CORPS PEOPLE. THE BEST DRUM CORPS WAS NOT FROM THE 70'S. WAS IT LOUD? YES. WAS IT OUT OF TUNE AND CRASP

THIS IS WHERE I STOPPED READING.

What is crasp? Never mind. I don't want to know.

Q: Is drum corps dying?

A: It was coughing up blood yesterday.

($1 to Monty Python)