Division 1 applications

No. Max age is 22, and that's after June 1st.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard from someone that knows someone in Jersey Surf and they said that Jersey Surf is going Div 1 next year?

does anyone know if this a fact?

Word on the street is that Surf is going Div I.

I wouldn't doubt it. Last year I was telling my friends that the Academy would go Div. I and they thought I was crazy. Ha! I finally one won in the battle of predictions. :P Good luck Surf in whatever path you choose to take. :)

Interesting to note about this discussion--first off, I didn't realize the MAJORITY of the decision of Division I worthiness had to do with the operational/administrative side. Chalk one up for Old Turner here--I guess I DON'T know everything. :lookaround:

Secondly, as I would stand and watch the incredible corps compete at PCC where I had the good fortune to announce, I daydreamed a bit. I wondered what it COULD look like in the activity to see a headline on a Drum Corps World issue like:

"Blue Devils, Teal Sound, and Pioneer Battle For First in DeKalb!"

or

"Vanguard, Jersey Surf Within Tenths At US Open!"

WHY was I daydreaming these non-sensical thoughts? Well, in a nutshell, as I listened to so many people talk to me over the last week, both corps management, corps fans, and otherwise, it came to be in my mind that perhaps Division II/III was the proverbial sinking ship. And I thought to myself that the way to "handle" this would be to create the DCI equivalent of the MAJORS and the MINORS in the baseball. Call it OPEN CLASS and NOVICE CLASS, call it MAJOR and MINOR, whatever. But the corps that are TRULY on the bubble both competitively AND organizationally (to name a few--Impulse, OC, Fever, Jersey, Spartans, Teal Sound, Memphis Sound, Blue Devils "B", Vanguard Cadets) could easily become "OPEN" or a "MAJOR LEAGUE TEAM" and compete on the same level with the Vanguards and Devils and Cadets of this system. And then DCI could TRULY have STELLAR shows across the country featuring corps that would "step up to the plate" and provide shows to THAT level of expectation. Want to know the OTHER big deal about this?

Do you think more kids would want to come out and party with these corps that are OPEN CLASS or MAJOR LEAGUE? Do you think that the INCENTIVE would be there? I do. And in true "cooperation" and if the ability existed, than more corps could go back to the "feeder" corps system (minor leagues), and those 500,000 horn players that go to all of these "auditions" (GOD!!! AUDITIONS!!!! COME ON!!!!!!!!!) would be able to STILL have a "foot in the door" with their dream organization JUST LIKE A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYER!

It could solve this "gray zone" where I see the groups I see mentioned above languishing. Truly, with a tad more investment and work into the construction and teaching of the shows, there are a bunch of current Div II/III that should be standing out there on the Division I field.

So let's change the name, change the rules, and start embracing the SPORT of the activity that DCI wants us to view it as. And then, that way, we can get some more even footing, more excitement at shows, more OPPORTUNITIES FOR KIDS, more OPPORTUNITIES for the new and upcoming design and instruction talent that's out there...

Jeez...I'm getting dizzy typing this!!

I better wake up.

It's sad, but it seems that div II/III is dying.

Many corps want to go to div I and work their tails off to get to solid financial and organizational footing to be able to pull it off. The question is why, why are so many groups that used to be happy in the "lower" levels so eager to move up in the past few years.

I believe that the answer is twofold, first off they want to stop being treated like they are the illegitimate children of drum corps, as DCI pretty much treats II/III. They want to be able to get some of the advantages that being associated with DCI should provide and does provide for the div I corps.

Secondly, I believe that the elimination of even the possibility of competing in quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals with the bigger corps has been the single worst move DCI has made since their inception. So many kids see only div I, because that is all that DCI actually actively tries to sell, that that is all that they want to do. In the past if some kid tried out for a div I corps and didn’t make it there they might end up in a II/III corps and at least still be able to dream of pulling the biggest upset of all time come finals week. No, most likely it would never happen, but it doesn’t matter, the dream is what’s important and DCI has taken that away.

I think there are far too many kids now who watch the shows and see finals on ESPN DOS and want to be in Cadets, Cavies, BD, Crown, Phantom, SCV, Bluecoats, etc. And if and when they go try out and don’t make it they just go back home, cause they don’t know II/III is an option or they feel that it’s not worth the effort cause DCI treats it like it’s not.

So, I think it is great to see more corps in div I and I applaud all corps that have their house in order enough to make the transition. The problem is that’s not the right answer for all corps, but it seems to be getting to the point where if the corps wants to survive it really doesn’t have much of a choice in the matter. It’s either go to div I or stay and slowly die in II/III and that is simply sad.

Damnmit Ryan, there you go again, putting valid, thought provoking, positive ideas for the activity out there for us numbskulls to hope for.

To the point of D2/3 dying, I feel the contrary. This was the first year I was able to go to an August d2/3 show, and they all blew me away. I was thinking during both Spartan's and Surf's shows "why aren't these guys div.1?" Not to mention the resurgence of Fever, the quick rise of Memphis and Revolution, and what has become a hot bed in SoCal for d2/3 corps.

Should they be div. 1? Well under a different system, why can't they be?

Ryan, when you become head of both the Drum Corps Announcers Board and the ADCC (Advancement of Drum Corps Committee), sign me up as an advocate.

For Jeff--that would be a fly in the ointment, wouldn't it? Let's think that out a bit. If they implement a "MAJOR/MINOR" team system in DCI, then those that run BDB and SCVC would have to make a conscious decision. Do I attempt to run TWO MAJOR LEAGUE FRANCHISES under the umbrella of their particular parent organization, OR, do I lower the level of expectation for the "lesser" corps so they qualify as a "minor" team.

BUT BUT BUT BUT...yeah, I know. But they AREN'T NOW. But what about if my plan were actually put into action. I think if you think it out, and those two organizations were to become minor league teams, it would STILL benefit the MAJOR league team because there would be incentive to make your mark and get that "shoe" in the door. But what if the qualification for being a "minor league team" was, let's just say, 90 members or less on the field? And you had 135 kids get chosen for Blue Devils, and 90 kids for Blue Devils B, that would be 225 kids spoken for. Don't a gazillion kids show up to Blue Devils to audition? Well then...((peering into my binoculars as I look up north))...there's Fever, Renegades, Mandarins, OC, Stockton Buccaneers, SCV, SCVC...wow, LOTS of potential to march.

Seems to me for the LIFEBLOOD of the ACTIVITY by thinking GLOBALLY, then BD could say "thanks for your interest, sorry we can't use you this year, however, please consider these fine corps in the northern California/Oregon area that would be a great place to march."

I know I'm asking for a lot for organizations to "promote" other organizations...but I'm getting into a root philosophical issue here. There's protecting one's interests, but then there's the far BIGGER aspect of the PRODUCT VIABILITY AND GROWTH!!! There is NO REASON to not build and make this activity stronger and better than ever before--and just as my buddy Torn8o has said in earlier treastices of his own--corps can NOT afford to be "ma and pa" run organizations. They have to be well run by people that can manage BUSINESS well. There'll always be drill designers (waving my hand frantically), guard instructors, idea people, blah blah. We're a dime a dozen. But the TRUE talent lies in the business side.

And if we were to adopt a MAJOR/MINOR system, then dag gummit it would seem that these corps would EXPECT MORE OF THEMSELVES and rise to that level.

And Nick...you're too much!! Thank you!! The Announcer's Board. I like that.

Edited by Ryan H. Turner

Moving up to Div I, even if the corps is doomed not to make finals or even semis for years to come can ensure the financial stability and survival of the corps. There are probably 2 or 3 corps in Div II/III right now that you would never expect to be hovering on the brink. If they undershoot their projected audition numbers in December by 10 members, they may never hit the field again.

To say nothing of the fact that the age-outs in my corps performed for the last time this weekend in front of less than 300 people.