Division 1 applications

Do you have a source?

two corps have applied for Div I membership: Spartans and Jersey Surf, we'll have to wait and see what happens in the review process

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

two corps have applied for Div I membership: Spartans and Jersey Surf, we'll have to wait and see what happens in the review process

To begin this post let me first say that I am no longer affiliated with The Spartans and have nothing to go on but the feelings of marchers and staff from about two years ago.

I do not think The Spartans will (or should) go DI. first, there is a substancial feleing of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" in the corps, correct me if i'm wrong, but most would rather contend for DII every year than probably not make finals in DI. Second the corps does not get the kind of membership to be competitive in DI the corps usually fields somewhere in the 100 member range, and in recent years thats been less that some of the other DII corps, let alone trying to complete with the big guys. Also, most of the members who do march there need to be able to hold jobs throughout the summer. with the current schedule of rehearsing on nights and weekends kids could hold part time or even almost full time jobs and be able to march, also many of the people there are there to march a DII corps, sure most of us dream about going big and marching a top 12, adn some do, but most can't afford it, or can't take the time to do it. and so they stay in a respected competitive DII corps.

I think that everytime a corps goes DI the DII/III actiuvity suffers. not only is there now one less corps to march, but there is also this expression of DII/III being 'not good enough' Steps should be taken to improve the lower divisions to get corps to start/ and stay there. My personal feeling has always been that all corps regardless of division should be judged on the same sheets, so that scores can be directly compared. I also think corps of all divisio9ns should compete together at quarterfinals, semis, and finals. and whenever the last corps in a division is eliminated, they are division champions. for example: Spartans finish the season with a score in the hiogh 80's they fall in between Arizona and Spirit, unfortunetly they don't make finals, but they are DII champions, and placed 13 overall. thats would be how i'd like to see corps scored, i think it wqould promote the DII activity by placing them at the same level as DII, even if most of the DI corps score higher.

To begin this post let me first say that I am no longer affiliated with The Spartans and have nothing to go on but the feelings of marchers and staff from about two years ago.

I do not think The Spartans will (or should) go DI. first, there is a substancial feleing of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" in the corps, correct me if i'm wrong, but most would rather contend for DII every year than probably not make finals in DI. Second the corps does not get the kind of membership to be competitive in DI the corps usually fields somewhere in the 100 member range, and in recent years thats been less that some of the other DII corps, let alone trying to complete with the big guys. Also, most of the members who do march there need to be able to hold jobs throughout the summer. with the current schedule of rehearsing on nights and weekends kids could hold part time or even almost full time jobs and be able to march, also many of the people there are there to march a DII corps, sure most of us dream about going big and marching a top 12, adn some do, but most can't afford it, or can't take the time to do it. and so they stay in a respected competitive DII corps.

I think that everytime a corps goes DI the DII/III actiuvity suffers. not only is there now one less corps to march, but there is also this expression of DII/III being 'not good enough' Steps should be taken to improve the lower divisions to get corps to start/ and stay there. My personal feeling has always been that all corps regardless of division should be judged on the same sheets, so that scores can be directly compared. I also think corps of all divisio9ns should compete together at quarterfinals, semis, and finals. and whenever the last corps in a division is eliminated, they are division champions. for example: Spartans finish the season with a score in the hiogh 80's they fall in between Arizona and Spirit, unfortunetly they don't make finals, but they are DII champions, and placed 13 overall. thats would be how i'd like to see corps scored, i think it would promote the DII activity by placing them at the same level as DII, even if most of the DI corps score higher.

In response to your comment on Spartans. I would believe that it would be a financial move more than a competitive move. It is so much more cost effective to be a Div I corps. You get paid for shows, you don't pay for housing, horn and percussion equipment endorsements, instant growth of membership = more money, and you do not have to go on a full tour to be a Div I corps. You must make two championship events, and finals. So they rehearse every day but Monday anyways, took a three week "mini" tour and their final three week tour at the end and it did not seem to effect their membership this year. Money talks and can quickly change and organizations thoughts.

So why would it be such a problem to go Div I if they didn't have to change anything.

Edited by Ron Burgendy

...most of the members who do march there need to be able to hold jobs throughout the summer. with the current schedule of rehearsing on nights and weekends kids could hold part time or even almost full time jobs and be able to march...

Academy? Pacific Crest? Both are excellent examples of how a Div I corps can be competetive AND stay local. Spartans could have no trouble staying with this course after moving up.

Do you have a source?

very rarely do I post something with out a source (rare on DCP, I know)...to answer your question, yes I do have a source, and no I won't say who they are. We'll have to wait and see if any word comes from DCI as the process takes many months, but my source told me those two corps had applied for Div I

Edited by corps fan

I honestly don't think any corps in the northeast could field a full corps. with the exception of Boston who we know draws many members from FL. there's practically nothing out here. Most of the band programs in New England are pretty awful. obviously there are some great ones...King Philip comes to mind. But the majority of the bands are not very good. this automatically reduces the number of qualified individuals to march drum corps. out of those who would be able to do it, many of them don't like or don't want to march drum corps for one reason or another. there's a reason why there's only two corps in CT, one junior and one all age, when there used to be well over 100 when my father marched.

If the Spartans go division I, then that's great. But I honestly don't think they'd be able to get the membership to compete at the level I know they'd want to, because they are perfectionists and always strive to be at the top of their game. as much as I want to say size doesn't matter, if you go out with 100 people competing against 150, chances are you're not going to do as well. here's hoping though.

Academy? Pacific Crest? Both are excellent examples of how a Div I corps can be competetive AND stay local. Spartans could have no trouble staying with this course after moving up.

Well Pacific Crest, although it wast a FULL tour traveled alot more than they have in the past....Maybe next year even more?

Revolution is pretty set on becoming Div II next year.

I think there will be many Div II corps next year even without Jersey or potentially Spartans. VK and OC look like they're in situations to move up, and I don't know about Fever and Memphis but they sure have the talent to attract more talent.