Division 1 applications

Moving up to Div I, even if the corps is doomed not to make finals or even semis for years to come can ensure the financial stability and survival of the corps. There are probably 2 or 3 corps in Div II/III right now that you would never expect to be hovering on the brink. If they undershoot their projected audition numbers in December by 10 members, they may never hit the field again.

To say nothing of the fact that the age-outs in my corps performed for the last time this weekend in front of less than 300 people.

And being on the board of a Division III corps, I second this with a hearty AMEN!!! That margin for failure has NOTHING to do with individual or group talent. It's a NUMBERS game. And yes...10 members DO make a difference. Very astute Rick.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving up to Div I, even if the corps is doomed not to make finals or even semis for years to come can ensure the financial stability and survival of the corps. There are probably 2 or 3 corps in Div II/III right now that you would never expect to be hovering on the brink. If they undershoot their projected audition numbers in December by 10 members, they may never hit the field again.

To say nothing of the fact that the age-outs in my corps performed for the last time this weekend in front of less than 300 people.

That’s exactly my point. II/III corps struggle to get by while all that DCI seems to care about is promoting the big guys. If DCI put just a bit more effort into promoting and educating people about II/III corps how many that aren’t here anymore might have had those extra 10 people show up for auditions?

That’s exactly my point. II/III corps struggle to get by while all that DCI seems to care about is promoting the big guys. If DCI put just a bit more effort into promoting and educating people about II/III corps how many that aren’t here anymore might have had those extra 10 people show up for auditions?

just a thought if DCI is trying phase out Div 2/3 why not go the DCA rout? and see if they want in on the action they know about small corps. It could work....in Open class look at Bucs are they are young and kick butt. Class A could use some more corps! b**bs

Edited by Supersop08

I heard a nasty rumor from a DCI "official" that they lost a boatload of $$$ at Murfreesboro this year and, due to that, the II/III corps were getting zilch for their DCI show appearances this year. Anyone that can confirm or deny this? Sounds pretty lousy, if true.

I heard a nasty rumor from a DCI "official" that they lost a boatload of $$$ at Murfreesboro this year and, due to that, the II/III corps were getting zilch for their DCI show appearances this year. Anyone that can confirm or deny this? Sounds pretty lousy, if true.

I heard something similar. Also heard a rumor of a possible DCA junior division............

I heard something similar. Also heard a rumor of a possible DCA junior division............

That might not be a bad idea. DII/III corps might get more attention from DCA than they're getting from the big boys (directors on the BoD) of DCI.

now check out this happy, random fact...

22 x 135 = 2970

22 x 150 = 3300

the difference = 330

that's about 6 div III corps or 4 div II corps

Yeah, but not all Div. I corps had the full 135 to begin with, and they certainly won't all have 150.

two corps have applied for Div I membership: Spartans and Jersey Surf, we'll have to wait and see what happens in the review process

Spartans? I thought they were going to stay Div II for good, considering they haven't moved up after winning 3, now 4, Div II titles. Is this the first time they've applied?