DCI Hall of Fame

If I could name an individual that should be in the DCI Hall of Fame and isn't, it would be former percussion arranger/instructor for Phantom Regiment and Belleville Black Knights, Marty Hurley. It is well over due for Marty to be in the Hall of Fame. He did so much for both of the mentioned corps, plus for marching percussion.

I hope next year will be his year.

I think it's time for April Gilligan (former color guard caption head of the Cadets) to be inducted. She did some amazing things that pushed the boundaries of what we knew about color guard.

Edited by Will

I think it's very likely that there are so many terrific people who could be missed by the DC Hall of Fame. The distinguished list so far is right on IMO, and are indeed the most noteable, pioneering and activity changing personalities we have. But I'm sure we all know, or know of, a few people who have been immeasurably supportive trailblazing figures in drum corps over the years, dedicating a huge chunk of their lives to the activity, who may never be recognized.

I'm sure it's the mission of the HOF to search out and research these people. Potential Drum Corps Hall of Fame members come into the activity every year. I remember when Scott Stewart was the punky young director of the Scouts, and Dave Gibbs was the DM of Blue Devils.

Frank Arsenault should be in. He moved the dominate "East Coast" style of drumming to the midwest in the 50s, setting off a string of championships that eventually drifted west. He was also a snare individual soloist without equal in his day and beyond.

I have no idea how Jim Campbell has not made it into the Hall of Fame yet. Before replying to this post I actually had to check to see if he actually wasn't in.

Jim's tenure with the Cavaliers coincides with the rise of the corps from the "dark years" to the milestone Allentown regional in 1985, the first DCI regional victory for the corps in 1990, the first DCI title in 1992, and the legendary "Planets" production that resulted in a second title in 1995. Jim's efforts guiding the percussion section and the overall program were key components of these accomplishments.

If that isn't enough, Jim also had a solid stint with the Guardsmen and as a DCI judge. He is a highly respected educator, having been on the faculty of the University of Kentucky for many years.

I hope that he will be given his due, and soon.

Want someone in the Hall of Fame? Start writing that letter!

The Hall of Fame committee doesn't seek out potential members......these worthy people must be NOMINATED!

You, and you, and you, too can have a hand in getting deserving people into this great company.

To get someone into the Hall of Fame takes some doing...a bunch of ex corps guys (72 Raeders, 75 Black Knights, 80's Phantom and I) tried to get Marty inducted a couple of years ago. You need people higher up in corps management to write the letters. It helps if someone already in the Hall of Fame will write a letter also. They have many nominations and they narrow the field down a number of times before they vote on the final few to be inducted. It takes persistence possibly over a couple of years.

Last year I found out when we talked to Marty, our group wasn't the only time that someone had nominated him. All I can say is get the ball rolling and try to get high level people involved.

Mike Boo!