Thank you Cadets

part 3

I continued to watch the rehearsals and after spending lunch chatting with various members, I met up with George and had a short but meaningful conversation. Again, I was left with the impression that I was a veteran of the corps. There was not a negative or unmeaningful second spent during the entire day at the school. As I prepared to leave, I walked through the sleeping area into the gym and then out to the field for one last look at the drumline on the field. I knew at that moment that even though there was a genuine welcome and feeling of belonging given by every single Cadet or staff that I encountered that the true happiness was in my heart for having been a part of “the day” with such a wonderful group of folks.

I departed and made the hour drive to Invesco Field to attend the pre-show events and to do some perusing of the souvenier area before taking my seat for the show. I watched, sitting next to some first time observers, a wonderful show starting with the Troopers (welcome back!) and ending with the Blue Knights as I had to make my way down to the tunnel to meet the Cadets for the highly anticipated march on. I met Mike again and as mentioned before, was presented with the signed snare head and practice flag. I stood outside the circle and witnessed the singing of the corps song as well as the pre-show instructions and prepared to march in with the corps. I can’t recall how many times I’ve sat in the stands and watched the Cadets march on in the historic block and wondered what it would feel like to be out there.. but I know a little better now that it takes your breath away… again and again to march out of the tunnel onto the field. Yes, I had done it many times as a member of Spirit of Atlanta, but the experience of marching on with Cadets helped to bring back that excited feeling for me to relive. I viewed the performance from the sideline… not only could I see it and certainly HEAR it… but I could feel it… In the horns and drums with wonderful musicality…. In the guard with breathtaking physical presence.. and in the voices of the members who exemplified for me what drum corps is all about. For those who crave adrenaline, this is it. Simply stand close to the Cadets on the sideline and feel yourself drawn out onto the field, see the sweat and love the members give for the achievement of excellence and know that you have truly witnessed something spectacular.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the end....

I followed the corps off the field, back up the tunnel and hung out for a few minutes. I shook the hand of every drummer and felt like their brother for that last 20 minutes that I spent with the corps.

Drained.

Humbled.

Inspired.

I can’t thank the corps enough for showing me such a personal, warm and enriching time. It was a special time to be able to be in the presence of and watch the actions of the Georges, Ginos, Toms and Aprils that I’ve respected so much for their creativity and leadership… to feel the ghost of Zingali hovering close by and the awesome presence of over 70 years of heritage pouring out of the corps. But what I will carry with me from now on is the sense of respect and honor that the members gave me in our conversations and their demonstration of professionalism and focus that I witnessed during our day together….( And smiley face shaped chicken patties.)

The next time I listen to the Cadets show, I will not hear voices being amplified. I will feel feelings being sent from their heart to mine and I will know that one day in July in Colorado, I was a Cadet.

Thank You CADETS.

Let me start by saying Im a west coast guy that was pulling for BD

Let me also say that I hate narration (even when BD does it)

But most importantly let me say that if you booed or heckled the cadets (and there were lots of you) you should be ashamed. What right do you have to spit on these kids show. They dont write the show, they just preform it, and they preformed the heck out of that show. I was truly worried that the Devs were in trouble because the Cadet hornline/drumline/and gaurd were just so darn clean. I said it many times in the stands, and I will say it here. I dont like this show, but the kids rocked it like rockstars.

And about those poor kids that will forever have to listen to your ill placed opinion. Did you ever think that maybe these kids are just performing the show given to them. If you hecklers ever marched your self I want you to think about something. If people did not like the design of your show, would you want them screaming at you trying to taint your CD at finals? Its just not right. You took away what to them was special and just spit right on it. Drumcorps crowds are suppose to have more class then that.

I was afriad that some one in this thread was going to point out that maybe this happened because it was on the west coast, and not even 24 hours have gone by and some has, so I hope you losers think about that the next time you want to complain about were finals is, cause you made us all look like a bunch of low class jerks.

To the Cadets, I may never enjoy the productions your staff puts out, but thats just me and my personal taste, but last night you forced me to admit that you were a darn good corps, worthy of the top. You prefomed with flawless execution and with all of your heart, soul, and passion, and last time I checked, that's what drumcorps was all about.

Congratulations on a job extremely well done.

Thanks to all concerned, both members and staff for a fantastic production. It would have been far easier to extract a few jewels from your archives, make people wet themselves in the stands, and polish the show to the stunning levels you did with this one. Instead you were committed to exploration and education, and chose a risky path that could have easily been a trainwreck, but instead came within tenths of winning it all.

In a competitive field of 20-some corps, all presenting variations on a similar theme, with compelling music and visuals showcased with varying degrees of excellence and entertainment value, this show stood out for its uniqueness. Parts worked better than others, but the choice was made to express a personal message embedded within the traditional elements. Many of us got the message and appreciated it, and for those who didn't, well I feel their numbers are perhaps smaller than they were in June. Amazing how actually experiencing something instead of just hearing about it and deciding beforehand can change minds.

Thank you to the staff for giving the members an amazing educational experience. When everyone tells you you are great all the time, you don't grow that much, but when people give you knocks, it increases the learning tenfold. You question your choices, refine them and ultimately hold on to what you think is most important. A great lesson for young people. As the saying goes, "the journey is the destination." This year's journey has, no doubt, been one to remember.

As an audience member, I look forward to how you will all push my boundaries of appreciation in the future. Never stop reaching for the next level.

From the train wreck that I thought the show was at Annapolis, they really came a long way with me. The show was way more tolerable at the end of the season than I ever imagined it would be. Because of the talking, I don't think I will ever listen to or watch the show much, but they still cleaned up the narration so much that I could have sat through it by the end. None of this takes anything back from the actual performance of the players on instruments. I knew they were going to be awesome from the first show. It was the vocal gimmick/novelty running through the show that proved too much to overcome with me.

I had a feeling that it would go like that. That Hopkins would hit me over the head with so much 'narration' madness early on that I might actually find the stuff left at the end mildly tolerable. The clincher was the changes made to emo-bando-guy, which was the most annoying part and was finally fixed to some degree for Semifinals.

If they had started with the same talking at the beginning that they had for Semifinals, I might have had a different feeling about the show. Tremendous work for that staff to fix it as much as they did. Some might call it a backhanded compliment, but with the way I hated that show a good bit of the summer I think it is a great achievement. It's on par with almost turning lead into gold. :) Ultimately, I cannot imagine myself ever listening to recordings or watching recordings of shows with vocals throughout them. It's just not an aspect of the activity that can age well with me.

Edited by Tekneek

To say it in a way that is purely complimentary to the members:

Cadets had the first place show, probably by quite a large margin. Their design team robbed them of a title, and for some reason stuck to their guns throughout the season - possibly out of principle, possibly because they felt the show would lose it's cohesiveness. I hope they learned from their mistake, and can put together a musical package even half as good next year.

I started this post to simply thank the Cadets for an awesome year. It moved alot of people, it wasnt to complain about liking it or not. For once, if you didnt like it stop chimeing in, I want the kids of the cadets to have at least some notes of thanks and appreciation. I know this site is about opinion and that is amazing, but if you dont like it, just for this one post, stay the hell out, this isnt your thread.

Thanks yet again Cadets, it was probably the last show some of my family will see.

Yowza? I was at Boston. I didn't hear any booing at any of the shows, but I also don't recall any delays in that corps performing. I do, however, recall a significant amount of criticism regarding that show in this forum.

Ok, so lets talk about the booing and catcalls at finals and semis. Werent as bad, but the crowd was still bad. Not to mention during the show at quarters. Criticism on forums is one thing, but at least the east coast fans gave bd the respect they deserved for performing their show. Cant say the same for what i saw last night.

To say it in a way that is purely complimentary to the members:

Cadets had the first place show, probably by quite a large margin. Their design team robbed them of a title, and for some reason stuck to their guns throughout the season - possibly out of principle, possibly because they felt the show would lose it's cohesiveness. I hope they learned from their mistake, and can put together a musical package even half as good next year.

Yes. I've said it many times. If they had just left the microphones on the truck, I would have been in love with the show. I wish DCI had some way to record the vocals on a different track so that an a cappella version, as played at the end of the season, was available to us. I would love to have that. I hate that I'd have to pay more than a regular APD and merge files together to have the show that way (and it would be from before tour). I also said in the beginning that I never could understand why they had to make some sort of statement with the show instead of just unleashing those talented performers on us. They were certainly good enough to sell any drum corps show on their own. :(

Edited by Tekneek