Blue Devils 2007 High Percussion

It's interesting how everyone is saying Cadets or Phantom should have won, but what about the Drumline that actually finished 2nd. Maybe they should be in this discussion a little more since they did get the second spot.

Go Bluecoats, and Congrats on your highest caption placement in DCI finals - 2nd in Percussion

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think so. If you factor in the Pit & Battery together with their average of the performances during finals week, they edged out Phantom. Don't get me wrong, Phantom was great and Cadets and Coats were respectable as well, but I think the overall performance + package of BOTH the Pit & Battery were best delivered by BD this year. Personally, my favorite line was SCV but the judges obviously weren't buying it, or couldn't catch up with them on the move. :grouphug:

Not a percussion person so I'll limit my comments.

I thought BD and Phantom both sounded great. BD was very intense and agressive, which is there general style and approach to drum corps.

I thought Phantom's book, mostly referring to the pit, was outstanding. Very musical, great orchestration and use of tone colors. I also thought there was great dialogue between the pit and horn line, especially in the 1000 Airplanes.

Thisn is purely my opinion, but things like this are why I think that wehn there are two judges, that one should judge the pit, and one the battery. I think that doing it that way would help show where a particular percussion section's strengths and weaknesses are better than both judges trying to follow BOTH the pit and the battery from different perspectives.

Thisn is purely my opinion, but things like this are why I think that wehn there are two judges, that one should judge the pit, and one the battery. I think that doing it that way would help show where a particular percussion section's strengths and weaknesses are better than both judges trying to follow BOTH the pit and the battery from different perspectives.

I would agree with that. I often see judges in the wrong place at the wrong time when it comes to exposure spots between the battery and pit. It would be nice to have a judge with the battery / pit all the time so they can really key in on everything. But, that would mean a lot of money for DCI so that's probably not going to happen.

It's interesting how everyone is saying Cadets or Phantom should have won, but what about the Drumline that actually finished 2nd. Maybe they should be in this discussion a little more since they did get the second spot.

Go Bluecoats, and Congrats on your highest caption placement in DCI finals - 2nd in Percussion

You know - I was thinking the SAME THING!

BD 19.7

BLUECOATS 19.4

Phantom 19.3

PLUS, they had a snare that marched with a BROKEN FOOT! :grouphug::grouphug::wall:

As I mentioned right after finals, my only beef was Phantom coming in third in drums after spanking Bluecoats all year. (IMO) it was better for the judges to put them in third and ease the argument on who was really better. Bluecoats have improved alot but they are no where near Phantom, Cadets, Cavies, Bluedevils...I considered that a gift!