Randomized Thoughts From The City of Roses

I don't know if this will qualify as a true "review review" but it may help to provide a little insight into the weeklong festivities that I experienced. And I prefer to type sort of free-form, like you're sitting talking with me. So, if you're looking for great grammar, she ain't here. She's upstairs. This is just me remembering. No notes. No nothing.

TUESDAY

I pulled into Pasadena City College's nice multi-story parking structure, realizing as soon as I parked I was SCREWED because I didn't have 2 one dollar bills. I had to search all over the car for loose change--and I got together. How embarrassing would it have been for the ANNOUNCER OF ALL PEOPLE to not have a parking permit. Onwards...

I entered the stadium, shook hands, got introduced to others, got a "feel" for the stadium, marveled at how nice and cool it was (WHEN I GOT THERE...oh THAT would change, wouldn't it?). Did a "one two one two" check, and proceeded....to wait. And wait. And wait some more. I had brought my script from the Bakersfield show so I figured I would be covered in case there was a mishap, and very nearly, there was. There was no script for me. I was told, several times, "it's being printed". LOL!!! I didn't mean to stress the DCI folks because I would have made everything work regardless, but I WAS getting a tad bit nervous. And all I was focused on to be absolutely honest was doing the VERY BEST JOB I COULD FOR DCI. These folks didn't know me from Adam, so I think they may have been hoping and praying to God I wasn't some yokel local who'd say stupid things "Our next unit in competition, FUSION!!!" (inside joke). But they came through with a very nice notebook and page protectors and everything ready to go.

As the temps started to rise, a few more people got themselves into their seats. But the attendance was HORRIBLE and PITIFUL. I didn't know what to expect, but THAT?!??! Yikes. But that didn't dampen my enthusiasm nor the enthusiasm of the folks in the crowd.

The corps were cute...BDC just WOWED me again with their "Grease" show. What fun! There were kids out there that were at BEST 5 years old. And they PERFORMED!! How cute!! Spirit of Newark was there, and really did an admirable job. The double bass drummer was spot on and I REALLY appreciated his work out there. Racine Scouts was out to show me that the year 1927 (why that year I don't know) was a GOOD year. Special kudos to their cute "Sweet Georgia Brown" section complete with a backwards "ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NET" shot from one of the tenors. Extra special kudos to the young lady that I assume was the guard captain--if not, she was certainly the "featured performer". SHE WAS AWESOME, and will be swooped up by a Division I corps if they had any scouts at our show. She was great! HYPE--the dark side of Oz. Interesting concept--and good job with the music. Spokane Thunder has everything to be proud of, presenting a VERY nice package of music and movement. Very solid corps that hopefully and stick it out and keep growing and convince the people of Spokane Valley and Idaho that yes indeed, there IS a drum corps. Citations brought a "Latin groove" show to the field, and didn't disappoint with some recognizable music, especially with "Pegasus", the perennial song attributed mostly to the Blue Devils. Yes...to answer the question...it WAS strange for me to announce "The Velvet Knights from Pasadena California", but it didn't matter. A VASTLY improved corps came out and TORE IT UP at quarter finals. True to form for the VK model, they weren't necessarily state of the art, envelope pushing new standard setting...but they were fun. AND LOUD!!! HELLO CONTRAS!!! What an incredible closer--could you go any faster??? And guess what! Drum major Blair Lezcano--well...I can't say enough about that young man. What a performer. Reminded me of another certain VK drum major way back in (fade to black....). :worthy::beer::beer:

OK I'm back!! Sorry...GOLD!!! Now THAT'S what I'm talking about. Energy and THEN some coming off that field with a VERY talented guard, a strong if not a tad overbearing hornline, and solid marching throughout the show. GREAT closing to the show!!! Man--crowd DUG you guys big time! Mystikal did something I think they shouldn't have done. They played music that was to these ears too difficult. BUT...BUT...BUT...they had 11 marching horns and one grounded due to injury, and guess what??? THEY PULLED IT OFF!! I was seriously impressed with their sound at times. WOW!!! Fantastic! Sensitive drum line and very solid guard. Oregon Crusaders--it's music music music with them. REALLY liked it. Revolution--one of the few corps last year at Madison that I really dug. They were out to score big--and their intensity really shown through to me. Thanks Revo!! You had one of the best pits in the entire competition--especially the young Asian man who was quite the performer. And I dug their staff members--very friendly. Just the way I like them to be. Especially when I have the microphone in my hand! LOL!!! Pasadena, do you copy?? The StarShip Northstar One--in the form of Dutch Boy--blasted off with their space show and some of best narration I've heard because? IT MADE SENSE. And it wasn't in the way. Good job. I especially appreciated their use of the music from the Original Star Trek Motion Picture for their ballad. Jerry Goldsmith if I recall correctly composed it--and it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Great dynamics by the corps. And I just appreciated Dutch Boy being out there and doing their thing. I competed against in my days of VK, and I'm glad to see them still around. It was hot--and it was time for a little Fever. WOW!!! From a show that bored me to tears at the beginning of the season to what they put out this past week was the difference between night and day!! These kids were AWESOME!!! What a show!!! I really dug the intensity and musicality, especially of the hornline. And to top off Division III competition...MEMPHIS SOUND!!!

There's a bit of a story to my appreciation of MS, and it goes back to the Bakersfield show where I was announcing the previous weekend. I wasn't really paying much attention to names, but I recognized the person who I assumed was the director. I knew I had seen him somewhere before, and then the stupid light in my vast expanse of an open space that SHOULD house my BRAIN turned on and said, "STUPID!! That's the DM for Phantom Regiment from 2001!!!!" Ahhhhhhhhhh!! HIM!!!!!!!!! Now in the world of drum majoring, I'm sort of picky. There's not much out there that impresses me, because anyone can wave their arms in time. Anyone can yell a command or two. But then there's CONDUCTING. And Memphis Sound's director, Andre Feagin, was to me one of the best EVER drum majors I've ever seen. So...not wanting to miss a chance to shake hands with a legend, in true Ryan H. Turner form, after the show, I found Mr. Feagin sitting on the track attempting to listen to a judge's tape before critique started. Normally, I would have not bothered him, but then again, I am a geek and I am Ryan H. Turner. So I walked up to him and sat down in front of him!! LOL!!! He was like "Dude...back up or I'm going to kill you!" Noooooooooooooooo he didn't. But I realized I probably scared the crap out of him. Sorry dude!! But I said, like a freakin' little teenage girl fan, "I'm Ryan H. Turner, and I was the drum major of Vk back in 86 and 87 and I was the announcer tonight and man you guys were great and I just wanted shake your hand and tell you that you were the greatest drum major and I love watching the PR DVD and and and and..." ALRIGHT ALREADY...jeez. He was very gracious and all he could do was say thank you, probably inwardly hoping I would quickly depart so he could get back to work. But he is definitely a legend in my book.

BUT LET'S HEAR ABOUT MEMPHIS SOUND. I have NEVER heard a Division III hornline sound as mature as Memphis. PERIOD. I don't know how many were out there, but they had BEAUTIFUL intonation, GREAT dynamic range, great show, and a very enthusiastic staff and director, constantly encouraging those kids to perform and to think. Drum major was solid and VERY "in control" of that corps. Memphis just had the LOOK!!! Love this corps very much. Great visual package as far as I could tell from standing on the track. They deserved the gold which they would eventually win on Saturday, but I will tell you this. Competitively speaking, Fever was NOT to be ignored.

More review to come....there's only so much time in a day...

Edited by Ryan H. Turner

Thanks for the enthusiastic review, Ryan!

-=GM=-

Hey Ryan!

Heard your voice at semis announcing The Kingsmen! I was so proud to know who you were :D You tore it up and got the crowd uber-hyped! ^OO^

I enjoyed your historical rant about how the shows were judged. From the tic system, to the pistol, the corps had to march from goal line and finish crossing the other goal line, to the concert piece. That was some nice historical, Cliff from Cheers, drum corps data. Good stuff Ryan.

Here is something to add:

When was the last time you heard "Pikes?" Old school term for the flag line.

Thanks For the review Ryan. As you said about the Spokane Thunder, I too hope that the people here in Spokane, Spokane Valley, Idaho and all the other surrounding citie and states take notice that YES, There is a #### good drum corps here in Spokane!!!

You were? I didn't see you.

At Div III semis? Yep....pretty much dead center at the top of the (short) stands....about 8 feet to the left of the VK vets who yelled "GO GET 'EM, KIDS" before VK started their show.

nice job at semis, btw, jeff! NOW what'll you do with your weekends??