Coolest Drill Move of 2007

My list:

SCV - Formation of 1st & 2nd Exclamation Point

SCV - Crazy formation of a block right before Vanguard yell

Cadets - Box with rotating center Diamond

Cadets - Superfast Company Front

BD - Hurricane (It's what others are calling it)

Madison - Opening Sequence

Crown - Finale

Any movement where corps are playing AND moving.

Pretty good list.

My *fav* was that Cadet rotating 2 boxes within the rectangle moving sideways - too cool

Crown had several really great moves as did SCV - probably my two favorite corps on just visual this year for overall shows

Madison opening sequence was very cool also

I am not sure what you are referring to in BD's drill - I liked their drill this year but nothing stuck out as "coolest" worthy - just good overall

I really liked BK's opening move and set with the large wedge of guard behind them - not really a "move" though more a set but very striking

It was a good year for design overall imo - one of the best!!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two that for me were pure simplistic perfection:

1. The last Ka'ching in SCV's show when the cymbals flash the "V", and the crowd goes crazy for it.

2. PR's appearance of the solist before the Firebird. After the corps all heads towards that section of pastel painted backdrops, he/she appears elevated out of nowhere, with wings behind. Totally perfect. Got an "OO" from the crowd evey time I saw it. Has to be one of the all time best segues.

And two that were cool.

1. PR hauling *** across the field, playing FFF gloriously, the final bars of Firebird.

2. Madison's company front disolution, which has been mentioned before, but, you really don't notice that as they all drop out, they are already positioned to play one handed, horn to mouth, with the left fist on the waist, Classic Madison Pose, until they turn forward to the crowd, very cool move that comes out of nowhere unless you are really paying attention.

Pretty good list.

My *fav* was that Cadet rotating 2 boxes within the rectangle moving sideways - too cool

Crown had several really great moves as did SCV - probably my two favorite corps on just visual this year for overall shows

Madison opening sequence was very cool also

I am not sure what you are referring to in BD's drill - I liked their drill this year but nothing stuck out as "coolest" worthy - just good overall

I really liked BK's opening move and set with the large wedge of guard behind them - not really a "move" though more a set but very striking

It was a good year for design overall imo - one of the best!!

For BD, it was the section right before the ballad. They bagan in a company front then from the center, they swirled to form concentric circles in a clockwise motion then the outer circle switched to a counter clockwise motion to end with a left and right spiral. They were going pretty fast (to me) while playing a pretty chaotic tune. It was really cool.

2. Madison's company front disolution, which has been mentioned before, but, you really don't notice that as they all drop out, they are already positioned to play one handed, horn to mouth, with the left fist on the waist, Classic Madison Pose, until they turn forward to the crowd, very cool move that comes out of nowhere unless you are really paying attention.

Actually, the hand stays on the horn until the contras hit the fifty, then it was two slow counts to move the hand to the hip as covertly as possible and two counts to turn front. The effect of hiding the hand move was apparently effective ;-) It's incredible how simple that move was to teach and march, but how amazing the effect was. People standing and the corps hadn't played a note over forte.

BD Drum Line moving through the brass during the space music

Yes.

Actually, the hand stays on the horn until the contras hit the fifty, then it was two slow counts to move the hand to the hip as covertly as possible and two counts to turn front. The effect of hiding the hand move was apparently effective ;-) It's incredible how simple that move was to teach and march, but how amazing the effect was. People standing and the corps hadn't played a note over forte.

pffft, who says anyone has to play loud to get crowd response?

personally i cheer for the lyrical sections just as much.. but.. you know, quieter.

I liked Phantom's opening number where they played, moved to the backfield while still playing, then front again, then backfield again, etc. The reason I thought it was a cool innovative move was because it gave off a unique brass sound.... loud, then soft, then loud again, with a high to low sound in the brass all the while. Pretty neat move as it was not just a drill move, but a drill move that made an effective dynamics change in the sound of the brass line when Phantom made the drill move.

I think the words you are looking for are "doppler" and "effect." :)