QUESTION about Hopkins, Blame

So let me get this straight : The Cadets Corps Director doesn't listen to the majority wishes of the members ? We have heard that the Cadets Corps Director ( with help from the staff ) made" the choice" to use narration; made "the choices " who would do the narration, when they would do the narration, how long the narration would be, where the narrator would stand when they did the narraton, and the words to the narration. And the principal theme was " It's my life and I get to choose ". So what you're saying is the show was about The Cadets Corps Director ? Or was the show theme essentially somewhat hollow and hypocritical because the reality here is the narrators had little or no "choice " at all when they schooled the audiences about " their life "and " the value of having choices " and " they get to choose ".... and blah blah blah ?

I'm telling you that I asked him, straight out, about polling his members. His response to me was,

"A poll can happen at any time. It does not matter. My vision remains the same."
Now we learn that he doesn't care what his staff thinks either. And the fans, well, he has spoken up about them too. So, yes, it's the George Hopkins show at The Cadets. He is their benevolent dictator. The narrators had no choice. George wrote it and told them to say it. Their was no choice on that. Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm telling you that I asked him, straight out, about polling his members. His response to me was, Now we learn that he doesn't care what his staff thinks either. And the fans, well, he has spoken up about them too. So, yes, it's the George Hopkins show at The Cadets. He is their benevolent dictator. The narrators had no choice. George wrote it and told them to say it. Their was no choice on that.

The members choose to be narrators it wasnt the other way around. They didn't HAVE to do anything. I think they knew what they were in for.

The members choose to be narrators it wasnt the other way around. They didn't HAVE to do anything. I think they knew what they were in for.

I'd have to respectfully disagree that this was the scenario. My guess, not a single member of the Narration Squad of The Cadets knew that they would be trying out for that important Squad when they went to their first day of Cadets Camp this winter. And that when they were selected for that Squad, the words were essentially selected for them. And that basically, the value of" choices" theme re. this years Narration in the Cadets show was not made BY them........ but FOR them.

Edited by X DM

I'd have to respectfully disagree that this was the scenario. My guess, not a single member of the Narration Squad of The Cadets knew that they would be trying out for that important Squad when they went to their first day of Cadets Camp this winter. And that when they were selected for that Squad, the words were essentially selected for them. And that basically, the value of" choices" theme re. this years Narration in the Cadets show was not made BY them........ but FOR them.

....what was to be narrated wasn't even decided on the first camp or the second or probably the third so thats your first mistake and secondly the corps was asked who wanted to be a narrator, which means....yes they did have a choice. And its the cadets, voice was expected this year so why would you come audition into the corps if you hated it so much?

....what was to be narrated wasn't even decided on the first camp or the second or probably the third so thats your first mistake and secondly the corps was asked who wanted to be a narrator, which means....yes they did have a choice. And its the cadets, voice was expected this year so why would you come audition into the corps if you hated it so much?

Save it. Unfortunately no amount of fact will change some people's minds.

Well, I do think to some degree that The Caders members bear some of the burden for the ridicule and negative vibes they got around the country that was somewhat muted because lets face it, they could flat out play and march.. Apparently, we are reading on this thread that some of the staff had some severe reservations about the way narration was used. Also, it's true the Cadets members did have " the choice " to leave or stay when they saw the ineviteable Napoleon Dynamite caricuture that was sure to be brought up and that would bring the corps chuckles which I don't think was it's intent. It is truly " their life " and they did go along totally with the choices made for them in this year's show. So I'd agree that they wern't dragged kicking and screaming into this show. Still believe however, that they were ill served by this year's heavy use of " talking points " given to them by the Director and Staff. Then again, 2nd place is nothing to sneeze at either.

Edited by X DM

Well, I do think to some degree that The Caders members bear some of the burden for the ridicule and negative vibes they got around the country that was somewhat muted because lets face it, they could flat out play and march.. Apparently, we are reading on this thread that some of the staff had some severe reservations about the way narration was used. Also, it's true the Cadets members did have " the choice " to leave or stay when they saw the ineviteable Napoleon Dynamite caricuture that was sure to be brought up and that would bring the corps chuckles which I don't think was it's intent. It is truly " their life " and they did go along totally with the choices made for them in this year's show. So I'd agree that they wern't dragged kicking and screaming into this show. Still believe however, that they were ill served by this year's heavy use of " talking points " given to them by the Director and Staff. Then again, 2nd place is nothing to sneeze at either.

I'll agree with that but I dont think you would find one that would tell you the were disappointed with how the show turned out (narration included). In doing something different, there will always be critisim. Now about the staff, I have never seen a more devoted and passionate group of people, so take that how you will. Also, not to say anything against BD, but I'd like to bet most of the cadets feel that they did win, even though they were handed silver.

I'll agree with that but I dont think you would find one that would tell you the were disappointed with how the show turned out (narration included). In doing something different, there will always be critisim. Now about the staff, I have never seen a more devoted and passionate group of people, so take that how you will. Also, not to say anything against BD, but I'd like to bet most of the cadets feel that they did win, even though they were handed silver.

Not to nitpick because you don't seem like a flame thrower or anything,, but you said in your first sentence here that you don't think we'll find one Cadets "that would tell you they were dissapointed with how the show turned out, narration included "...... but then our last sentence states you bet that " most of the Cadets feel that they did win, even though they were handed the silver ". Which is it ?

As for the narration and whether it's inclusion may have cost The Cadets the title or not is open to speculation. I think not. But who really knows ? My guess, there is not a single poster on this DCP that can tell us how " Narration " is judged. In other words, what " good narration " is from " bad narration" or from just " mediocre narration ". Until posters and fans are knowledgeable about the judging evaluation criterian in Narration, we will always be in the dark as to whether a Corps that used heavy doses of narration to convey the show theme message to the audience should have won or not. And that includes the member of The Cadet who you believe think they should have won. How do they know unless they know how the front and center narrators were judged in their narration as part of their show ?