Interview with George Hopkins

Nice interview....his vision, while not everyone's cup of tea, has been consistent over time.

Sehr gut. :)

Thank you ;)

We were pretty suprised that he did this interview with us so fast...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. Virtually all of his proposals seem to raise the cost of drum corps, not make it lower. If you want to keep costs down, you don't bring in amplification, electronics, other instruments, increase membership, take a bunch of props on tour, etc. The man does nothing but raise the expenses, so to claim that he even cares about the impact on the activity is a head scratcher.

I think they asked what he would like to do ideally, maybe not reasonably though. So this is like a Christmas list for him, rather than a "to-do." At least thats my impression.

I think they asked what he would like to do ideally, maybe not reasonably though. So this is like a Christmas list for him, rather than a "to-do." At least thats my impression.

He already heralded in the age of amplification, increased memberships, and an extra truck just for props.

Indeed. Virtually all of his proposals seem to raise the cost of drum corps, not make it lower. If you want to keep costs down, you don't bring in amplification, electronics, other instruments, increase membership, take a bunch of props on tour, etc. The man does nothing but raise the expenses, so to claim that he even cares about the impact on the activity is a head scratcher.
:grouphug::grouphug::wall::wall::rock::huh::wall::wall::huh::huh::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

He already heralded in the age of amplification, increased memberships, and an extra truck just for props.

how many props did The Cadets use this year again??

come on people, these are design choices...and as was stated earlier, amplification actually is not that expensive and lowers costs in the long run...

come on people, these are design choices...and as was stated earlier, amplification actually is not that expensive and lowers costs in the long run...

Forget it....people would rather bow to the folks they agree with, than argue with the ones they dont :grouphug:

“I would install instant encores --- fans could ask for more or they could ask the corps to move on!!! That would change things!”

I don’t see this as practical and, frankly, I’m not exactly sure how one would gauge whether or not the fans want an encore.

Hmmm....might be a hard transition to make, but in the long run I think this could lead to seeing much more fan-friendly shows. Less emphasis on intricate detail and design, but more on entertainment.

How many did they use in 2006? Design choices are still expensive. I'm sure hauling around all those tables didn't make a difference in expenses, then?

I read the contention that amplification lowers expenses over the long run. I'm not questioning it, but I'd love to see some data on that.

Edited by Tekneek