1989 Vanguard

Hey all! I just saw a thread about the best champion of the 80s and right now, Vanguard has a big lead.

It is also one of my favorites; however, I wanted to see other's opinions and interpretations of the show and what made it so great! I've said this before, but I am still pretty new to drum corps. I want to see it through other people's eyes so when I watch the video again, I can look for specific things. Thanks!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raw, intense, and pure emotion. That show sums up the Vanguard's incredible legacy to me.

It is also music that many people flat out ADORE. Its beautiful, and entertaining, and just something that most fans can relate to.

It is a good example of the simple enjoyment you can get out of Drum and Bugle Corps.

EDIT: By the way. that new SCV banner is awesome.

Edited by Cuban

Simply, I believe it was due to everything just plain working. The first time I saw it (Whitewater, Wisconsin), I turned to the person next to me and said, "That's everything I want from a drum corps show."

To me, it is a perfect example of exellence. Not just in the context of drum corps or the marching arts or even in music. Just pure exellence.

Simply, I believe it was due to everything just plain working. The first time I saw it (Whitewater, Wisconsin), I turned to the person next to me and said, "That's everything I want from a drum corps show."

Ditto.

All you needed after that were some funnel cakes and pierogi. :)

I personally liked the SCVs 88 Phantom of the Opera show better. 89 was not quite as

good and I thought Phantom Regiment should have had the win in the bag.

I still like the 89 show alot - I just like 88 better.

Ditto.

All you needed after that were some funnel cakes and pierogi. :)

And where would one go to get those? B)

The music - there was of discord and resolution, familiar tunes (from 88-and who didn't listen to any original music), great musucians playing very interesting music.

A story - I believe you can tell a story without words. Althought there as more of the story in 88, the music was more of the story in 89.

Accessible - the music could affect most people. It's great intrduction o someone who is slightly interested in drum corps.

The guard was included in the sory telling, perfect use of a more modern guard and they did incredibly clean work.

Emotion, Emotion, Emotion - if music touche you, it touches your emotions. Phantom is stirring and this corps played it emotionally. At the VC, the corps sang words to parts of the songs (unamped of course).

I believe 87 was an incredible show - sheer enjoyment and a story, but 89 was so refined.

Drill - the dual box rotation to open the show, the running, the body movement - it all fit and made sense in a drum corps performance. The successful combo is etremely rare.

Clowns at finals on the field - nothing better.

Various moments:

The compny front - incredible!!

The magic - as in the show, the Phantom disappears, then the corps goes POOF!

The head knods after the baritone duet - so fitting.

The power of the hornline while playing with one arm by their sides.

I was there and Garfield didn't win, pretty rare for me.