Then and Now

I figured you had to be from Western NY with the Genny Cream comment... Mark Twain eh? I probably judged you... were you one of Bob Zazzara's boys?

Let me just say this... if you're even this far along in considering it - give it a try... nothing wrong with trying to relive a part of your youth... just use common sense... if you can't keep up... give it up... but you will regret it if you don't try...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured you had to be from Western NY with the Genny Cream comment... Mark Twain eh? I probably judged you... were you one of Bob Zazzara's boys?

Let me just say this... if you're even this far along in considering it - give it a try... nothing wrong with trying to relive a part of your youth... just use common sense... if you can't keep up... give it up... but you will regret it if you don't try...

Don't worry, Tom....I've got a plan for those who can't physically march to still be a part....and it's NOT by parking them in the pit....

Heh....maybe I should see if I can get a chiropracter on staff.....

If you did, you would be "The Man"

Hi Tom,

How's the Northwest? See... another one of Bobby's boys has surfaced!

Tom MaKinster

Heh....maybe I should see if I can get a chiropracter on staff.....

Good luck. Sky Alumni has been trying to get a chiropractor in the corps for quite a while. So far we got a cardiologist, who happens to be a pretty good snare drummer too. But we really could use a chiropractor. Sometimes our rehearsals and gigs sound like a breakfast cereal - snap, crackle and pop!

Best of luck in your venture.

Ray

Good luck. Sky Alumni has been trying to get a chiropractor in the corps for quite a while. So far we got a cardiologist, who happens to be a pretty good snare drummer too. But we really could use a chiropractor. Sometimes our rehearsals and gigs sound like a breakfast cereal - snap, crackle and pop!

Best of luck in your venture.

Ray

Well....I was joking about the chiro.....but one thing i WOULD like to get my hands on in an auto defibrillator...after Lothat of teh Kilties had his fatal on-field heart attack at 05 prelims I started thinking it would be a good idea to have one at the DM podium for all corps functions...and have people trained in it's use.....a concern that you generally don;t see in jr corps.

They're expensive (a few thousand dollars), but one of my fencing clubmates is a cardiologist and may donate one if I approach her with a formal request letter once our non-profit status is taken care of.

And if anyone thinks I'm overreacting, I'll point out that I just lost a fellow fencer the other day...someone I'd competed against (and only beat once), some one who had JUST graduated from Columbia and had been on the college fencing team all four years....who held the Cadet national championship in men's foil...someone in the peak of health....and he died of a heart attack at 22. (RIP, Meade Anderson)

Edited by 84BDsop

.... I'll point out that I just lost a fellow fencer the other day...someone I'd competed against (and only beat once), some one who had JUST graduated from Columbia and had been on the college fencing team all four years....who held the Cadet national championship in men's foil...someone in the peak of health....and he died of a heart attack at 22. (RIP, Meade Anderson)

I'm sorry for your loss, 84BDsop.

Bob Zazzara

I haven't heard that name in years. Yes, I lied about my age and was marching under Mr. Zazzara at 11 years old (my two older sisters were Mello-Dears so my folks knew they'd be in the same place often to keep an eye on me). He was my idol because of his unabashed enthusiasm. My second year under his direction, back in the day when in prelims you did a short show, the timing of our short show was miscalculated for the US Open (Marion Ohio) and we went overtime. I don't remember the exact penalty but it took us from 1st to 13th so tight was the competition. I was confused when our score was announced and thought we'd placed first (mind you, not every corps had performed at that point... I don't think General Butler Vagabond had gone on yet and if my memory serves me, they took 'A' class that year.. I could be wrong). I jumped up and down and started crying with joy (hey.. I was a child, ok?) even though Laurie Ayers from the Tri-Town Cadets, and my girlfriend was watching. Not until I saw Mr. Zazzaras face and Laurie's stunned face, did I realize I was mistaken. It's was, and is, one of the biggest disappointments of my life. I can't remember wanting something so much and I can't remember ever since being so heart-broken (AND Laurie broke up with me that night!). I'm sorry to say, that was the year Mr. Zazzara resigned. Secretly I thought he resigned because of me.

It's funny, but since I've been considering marching, a lot of early memories have come back to me. And later memories came back of when I taught winter-guard (remember Wildcat's and Hollyhawk? Man alive.. they were something else!) for Grenadiers and Top-Hats from Towanda, Pa. Crazy fun days!

So today I spent a few hours watching Dream rehearse. Objectively, I don't think marching would be that physically demanding but I did have to face a dilemma square. I haven't played a soprano since before rotaries were introduced. I did play mellophone after, but truthfully, even if I were to give it a go, I'd have no place to rehearse a horn at home... so I think they're both out. That leaves guard but I'm not quite sure guard is for me either.

I honestly don't want to offend anyone here - at DCI this year, it looked apparent that playing a horn seemed to be out, so I was kinda projecting myself in some of the male guards places, and at the end of the day I'm not sure if I could feel confident wearing some of the gear they are required to wear. Like I said, I'm fit.. quite fit in fact, but truthfully I found many of the uniforms and movements to be immaculating. Now before anyone gets mad at me, I ask you to project yourselves wearing uniforms like some of the uniforms the guards wore Superficial? I understand it is, but it is nonetheless.

I think I'm going to look around a bit more. I liked Dream. I really liked the experience of remembering rehearsals. But I want to make the right decision for myself. Who knows how many more years I might have to compete.. I just want to be as sure as I can be.

It was great having you at rehearsal today. didn't get to talk 'cause I kept on sitting under the shade tent and when I finally remembered you were there, it was time to hit the field again. When my wife and I started marching with Dream, it had been over 25 years so we had a lot of the same concerns. The horns take some getting used to, what with 3 valves, but it's been a blast getting the chops back. I think I played better last year than I ever did as a kid. Practice is sometimes rough, but the new mutes work for most apartments just fine. Don't plan on being good over night, just have some fun and give it a try. I'll look for ya again sometime...

..... Practice is sometimes rough, but the new mutes work for most apartments just fine. Don't plan on being good over night, just have some fun and give it a try. .

Go for it. I hadn't marched for about 30 years until picking it back up again in 2004 at the age of 50. It can be done. I think from a physical marching standpoint the hornline would be less demanding than the guard unless you have great flexibility and some background in dance movement.

I second the comment regarding the practice mute (Silent Brass). A bit pricey but worth the sanity it provides to anyone you live with, including pets.