Did They March?

Credit earned? You mean, by marching a couple more shows?

Sorry...I don't see how luck equals credit. Because some avoidance of injury is about luck. Actually, a lot of it is. If someone whacks you with a contra, and you can't march, you're not a member because you can't march finals? I call BS on that. Hypothetically. :)

I still disagree. If you didn't march finals you didn't march finals. If you were sent home because you got whacked then you marched until you got whacked and were sent home. I don't give someone credit for marching a whole season when they didn't march the entire season. If you do, then that's cool. We agree to disagree.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do corps usually give out jackets and other items before the season or after the season? If the corps acknowledges you marched a year by their normal means of recognition, then you did, regardless of what somebody else tries to say about it.

I missed one show due to a migraine and I missed a couple days of rehearsal due to "walking pneumonia." Did I not march drum corps?

Edited by Tekneek

I've been out of things for a while. Do they still have finals patches? I know that the way it worked when I marched was that you got your jacket in the end of spring/beginning of summer, and then after the season (maybe at the banquet?) you got the finals patch which you put on your sleeve. So, having a jacket doesn't mean you marched a whole season.

Peace,

CuriousMe

Do corps usually give out jackets and other items before the season or after the season?

Depends on the corps. When I marched, corps jackets were given out after the first show.

I know there a couple of guys (one with whom I marched) with corps jackets but no gears (meaning they didn't finish one single season due to injury or otherwise). I saw the one I marched with at the Denton show sporting his corps jacket. Who wears their corps jacket in Texas in the summer?

Same for us in all-age. You can order your jacket as early as December, but you don't get that patch unless you marched the entire season + Finals.

We've had many injuries, but with the more laid back requirements of DCA, you can let a member mend/heal without making them give up their spot. Then, when the doctor releases them, they can come back in and finish out the season, thus earning the right to say they marched the season(and their patch).

Funny story:

Some folks in our corps were eating dinner at a local restaurant & a couple were wearing their CV gear. THe waiter started going on and on about marching with Spirit in such and such a year. Well, as you can imagine, we have many Spirit Alums over the years, and it just so happened there were more than one at the table who marched the years this guy was claiming. As they started to press him about section, repetoire, mutual acquaintences, he started to fluster a bit. Next thing you know he excuses himself and doesn't come back. They have a pinch-hitting waitress for the rest of the meal and this guy is nowhere to be seen.

Amazing.

I still disagree. If you didn't march finals you didn't march finals. If you were sent home because you got whacked then you marched until you got whacked and were sent home. I don't give someone credit for marching a whole season when they didn't march the entire season. If you do, then that's cool. We agree to disagree.

I've, have to go with "festive" on this one. If you marched a show with a corps, then you marched with that corps. Yes, maybe not the whole season, but you should get credit for what you did do. What about someone who fills a hole midseason? I guess that also means they didn't march because they also missed shows. Maybe it's me, but I thought it was much harder to balance camps and Sunday rehearsals against my school and work schedule, and life was so much easier once we hit Memorial Day. So they guy who joins the corps midseason once everyone has already learned the show and goes through finals can say he marched with the corps while the person who was at every camp but leaves at somepoint in the season after a few shows doesn't have that right? Nope, I'm just not buying it.

Do think if someone quits mid-season, they should be allowed to say that they marched "200? year of So and So Corps? Would you feel right saying you marched a certain year of a corps if you weren't on the finals DVD or video?

My kid was an alternate this summer, and did come home for several reasons near the end of July. When asked about drum corps, the response is typically "I went to some camps and was an alternate for a month or so of tour and realized it wasn't quite right for me right now. I'll try again another year." Sounds like a canned response, and it probably is, but it is worth taking some time to explain rather than pretend the year was something that it really wasn't. It was actually a pretty negative experience, and I was just glad that my kid realizes that all the groups aren't like this one and that the activity as a whole is still something worth pursuing someday in the future. Anyway, no claims about "marching in 2007" here unless it has some qualifiers...and that usually takes a while to explain. :grouphug:

We had a girl quit in 1982, the day before prelims in Montreal. We were practicing the show, she was out of line, someone yelled "Get in line f*t a*s ! and she just put her contra down and walked. She later rejoined for GSC championships and the shows preceeding up to it, but she missed out on marching DCI.

~G~

My own story is one of an education I'll never forget...

Being a rookie to CV back in '03, I came to a few camps and went on a trip with them and decided to march in '02.

When I went into their banquet (I had gotten to know some people and hung out with a few. I was invted and went to banquet). When you go to banquet, you get your member patch and a fw other things. Someone's signals got crossed because they'd seen me with the corps for a good part of the end of the season, and I was given a 2002 patch.

Not knowing any better, when I ordered my jacket the next year, I just put it on there. Nobody really said anything right away, but a few of the veterans ulled me aside and asked me to take it off. I asked "why".

The answer was both eloquent and humbling.

Were you there when we were freezing so bad at rehearsal we all practiced in sleeping bags and blankets? Were you there when we did this, did that, and so on. THe final one that really touched me deeply was "were you there when we all mourned Tracy passing?"

Most would see this as a little harsh, but I look at it this way. No one deserves the right to wear KKY letters unless they pledged an entire period and crossed over all degrees like every other brother. If they make it through half or three quarters of the period and drops, then they aren't a brother. They have not crossed over and do not deserve the honor of wearing the colors/letters.

We in drum corps share a big fraternal brotherhood with the binding tie of marching together. You can say you were "With Corps X until an injury ended my season" or whatever, but the 199x or 200x season wasn't completely yours. Sure, you share a bigger than average bond with a corps if you've toured a bit and then get hurt or whatever, but the "finish line" in this race is Finals. When we all finish ad finals night is done, you remember those "brothers" that made the finish line with you for the rest of your life. You can't duplicate that, you can't fudge it, and you certainly can't claim it unless you've done it.

Nedless to say, I promptly removed the patch that I didn't earn, and learned one of the most valuable lessons of Drum Corps/Fraternity/Brotherhood ever.

Edited by CVQuesty

One of my good friends in college marched soprano for Phantom and always made jokes that when on tour if asked by a couple girls what instrument he played the answer process went like this.

Girls: What instrument do you play?

My Friend actions: Looks over his left shoulder for Corps members. Clear that way.

My Friend actions: Looks over his right shoulder for Corps members. Clear that way

My Friend actions: Looks back to the girls.

Tells them: Snare ^0^

Girls: Oooooh Snaaaaarrrre! B)