How does '07 BD Compare?

This was the first season in over 25 years (!) that I didn’t get to see the Devils live at least once, so my opinion is based on the theatrecast. Still, I have to say this is probably my favorite Blue Devils production in the last 10 years.

Sometime in the mid-90’s BD got away from shows that were all about the music and started doing the ‘storyboard’/’thematic medley’ shows that, while dazzling and entertaining, to me came off like a bit like a glorified winterguard program with a really, really good sound system. It was good to see them get back to a more classic BD show that really honored and celebrated the music they were presenting.

I’ll admit a bit of vintage BD bias here. I actually got a bit choked up when the guard brought out those wings that harkened back to my own early 80’s marching era. Favorite BD year: 1985

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the fact that this years show kind of veered away from BD's typical jazz shows. I felt there were more classical elements to the show that you usually don't see from them. Congratulations Blue Devils!

I'm really glad someone brought this topic up.

Last night I watched my 90's championship series and reminised on all the great hornlines and shows from the 90's from every corps.

I have to say that nothing since the milinium as far as BD goes even comes close to what they sounded like in the mid 90's. I watched 96,97 watched 98 cadets followed by 99 BD. It is amazing how much better their honrline sounded than my beloved Cadets then. 99 BD in my opinion was one of the most talented hornlines I've ever heard nad probably had the best quality of sound too. 97 is right there with it. That 99 corps had almost all age outs who had marched in 96 and 97.

I don't think 2003 or 2007 are even close to those shows. In fact I think there is other years where BD was better muscially and design but di dnot win because they could not march well before Todd Ryan came along like 1993 BD or 1992. WOW check out those hornlines!!!

My order is this.

honarable mention to 1992.

That was pre-Dynasty, so the horns sounded better

with that said, The show as a whole compared to other championship years, I cant comment because I like almost all BD shows but, The opener #1 with '96 #2

Edited by 12 Time Champs

That was pre-Dynasty, so the horns sounded better

with that said, The show as a whole compared to other championship years, I cant comment because I like almost all BD shows but, The opener #1 with '96 #2

I guess that is the bad part though. You say predynasty errors which means dynasty errors in 00,01,02 and they still won brass in 01 which is rediculous especially since Cadets were on Yamahas and sounded far better. I've talked to BD alum who marched in the 90's and they have said 01 BD was one of the worse hornlines bd hornlines to win horns. Cadets had their best hornline to date that year.

I think my point is that BD sometimes puts a great product on the field and gets credit, but other times puts crap and not saying 07 or 01 are crap because they were still good drum corps but they get the benefit of the doubt. I firmly believe also BD got screwed in 04 and should have won just like Cadets should have won this year.

Edited by thecadet20012001

Probably my favorite BD show of the 2000's, with '06 and '03 tied for second and '04 and '00 tied for third.

I agree with drumcat, though. It's way to early to know where it will stand when there are still people starting bitter "why didn't we win" threads.

I like the fact that this years show kind of veered away from BD's typical jazz shows. I felt there were more classical elements to the show that you usually don't see from them. Congratulations Blue Devils!

That's an interesting point, because one of my favorite years musically from BD was 1998 - where they blended Bernstein and Tchaikovsky.

Got to agree that Dynasty instruments don't sound as good as Yamaha - neither the horns or the drums but the judges know more about performance judging than any of us here so more than likely BD deserved high brass in 2001. I've listened to both and have to agree with the judges.

As far as since 2000 goes, I rank this right under 2003 for the Blue Devils in terms of strength and relevance.

For me, I prefer 2003 but rank this year as my second favorite BD show since 2000.

I think it holds up well against all those Cavie shows, I mean championship shows.

For the year 2000 and beyond, the two strongest programs have been 2002 Cavaliers and 2005 Cadets.

1. 2002 Cavaliers

2. 2005 Cadets

3. 2003 Blue Devils

4. 2004 Cavaliers

5. 2007 Blue Devils

6. 2006 Cavaliers

7. 2001 Cavaliers

8. 2000 Cadets

9. 2000 Cavaliers

Thats how I rank the championship shows, f0r 1 - 3 there really wasnt that much of a suprise regarding the outcome and no formidable competition for the title.

For places 3 - 6, there was indeed credible competition but in reality the true winner was evident in all three years. and for 7 - 8 Champions were worthy but not a show in due to stiff competition.

I think 07 Blue Devils, as a whole package will hod up well and was al all around competent, solid, aggreessive show.

~G~

And without a doubt did Blue Devils deserve and earn high brass in 2001. Best line of the night, the week, and all year.

Edited by GMichael1230