What is the difference between BOA & DCI?

To win BOA you dont have to be the best band, just the band with the most crap on the field to distract the fact that they really dont play or march that well.

You must not be familiar with many of the years that Marian Catholic, and countless other bands have won, or been at the top levels of BOA, and most years without a single prop.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the average Div 1 corps is far more intense and of much better quality than the average high school band, those bands who go all the way to the regionals and finals are the cream of the cream of the crop. I watched a BOA National Championships DVD last year and was very impressed.

One thing I did notice was that the bands, too, seem to struggle with the balance between audience accessibility/themes and uniqueness. If the finals bands I watched were any indication, accessibility has suffered at least as much (maybe more) in BOA, and themes have gotten at least as humorously creative.

Higgy I agree with you, and I won't even try to qualify that statement by andyboy252. That view is non- represented among drum corps fans and performers past or present. I love drum corps, but what first turned me on to music was when I saw in person the Michigan State marching band perform in Oakland, Ca back in the early 60's. I was hook on playing brass from then on.

Last year, I attended the SCV rehearsal at Fayetteville County High School in Georgia and I seated myself in the stands to watch. Around me where various people and I notice that some where taking notes not necessarily when SCV was doing a run through, but when the corps was halted and there was conversation going on between the field instructors and the staff situated on the roof of the press box. Curious, I introduced myself being a former member of SCV and found out that these folks where music teachers and marching band students from the surrounding local high schools and were there to watch and observe. They were well aware of Santa Clara's reputation in the world of marching arts and of other top drum corps as well.

So Mr andyboy252 who ever you are, if you love drum corps with so much passion, I would try not to burn my bridges, specially with those folks who admire and support what drum corps is all about but are from the marching band medium.

I admit when your a young kid it's easy to get caught up in all the rah rah stuff specially between competing corps, but as a grown adult, when you start personality bashing and making accusations about individuals in the marching arts you do nobody a disservice but to yourself.

Matt,

Good to see you posting on here. It's been a while. I agree with ya. Broken Arrow & L.D. Bell both had incredible shows last year. BA's climax from 'Time to Say Goodbye" was chilling. And, L.D. Bell's ending just did it for me. The emotional content of Bell's show was surreal. Just in case anyone is wondering about repertoires from the shows:

Broken Arrow HS, OK - "Aqua"

Harrison's Dream (Peter Graham)

Time to Say Goodbye (Andrea Bocelli)

Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra (Benjamin Britten)

Music Compositions & Arrangements: Aaron Guidry

L.D. Bell HS, TX - "The Remaining"

Hound of Heaven (James Syler)

Ballet Dracula (Phillip Feeney)

Beautiful from the 'King Kong' soundtrack (James Newton Howard)

Music from the 'A Beautiful Mind' soundtrack (James Horner)

Music Arrangements: Don Hill & Aaron Guidry

Drill Designers: Myron Rosander & Brian Youngblood

If you're a fan of Myron Rosander, I highly recommend checking out his design for L.D. Bell 2005 & 2006. One of his best designs.

This really isn't going to convince anyone to love high school marching bands. I'm not, and it ISN'T for everyone.

Can someone pass the cheese, I need them for my crackers :doh:

Uhh ohhh...this topic is going to open a can of worms...in before the close.

Yeah I kinda figured that out when someone with over 600 posts claims not to know the difference between DCI and BOA. :doh:

Hopkins: "For those who wish corps to stay as it is, I would understand that I am not someone to be embraced. I tend to let down my view that it must be brass, or it must be marching snare drums, or there must be a snare solo, or there must be a color guard."

He freely admits this:

Hopkins: "I guess, as much as I have been involved in the activity for coming up on 40 years, I have never been a fan of corps."

Then why is he still affiliated with a drum corps?

I wouldn't call it an umbrella organization. There are many outstanding band programs that choose not to do BOA.

It is a circuit that sponsors regional competitions which you must participate in to qualify for the national competition. There are other band circuits be it the official state rules like UIL in Texas or something similar to BOA like USSBA.

The main difference is BOA is scholastic.

Yeah, that's true. It's just the most well known and biggest of the high school marching organization. USSBA is relatively new and I didn't know anything about UIL.

Yeah I kinda figured that out when someone with over 600 posts claims not to know the difference between DCI and BOA. :doh:

ohh, I'm not accusing the OP of trolling actually. I think it was an honest question. I just see this as a potential new school vs. old school whining match.

You must not be familiar with many of the years that Marian Catholic, and countless other bands have won, or been at the top levels of BOA, and most years without a single prop.

You beat me to it. Having lived just three miles from MC for the first 39 years of my life, I've been quite familiar with the program. By the way, Marian Catholic premiered a concert band work I wrote this year for them. As impressive as the marching band is (with a VERY small staff that is mostly home-grown and music and drill written by their director), their concert program is even better.