Time for Rifles to Go?

Should rifles stay or go?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like rifles to stay in the activity?

• yes
    • no

Hey, as much as I am all about bringing back the guard in uniform thing (to an extent) that's just how things are. The rifle is a great visual piece and has been for decades. I mean, have you seen rifle squads (or whatever they're called, the term escapes me) the Marines have? Those guys have REAL rifles and they spin them just like a color guard (though probably a bit more cleanly)

Well, what the heck isn't bizarre about drum corps, if we think too hard about it?

Kids give up their summers, they sleep on buses and gym floors, they eat off trucks...AND THEY PAY TO DO IT!!!

And those who are fans base their summers around going to shows to watch these kids perform for the fans' entertainment...AND THE KIDS DON'T GET PAID FOR IT!!!

Yep, nothing "absolutely bizarre" about any of that. :doh:

:music::doh: This statement owns everything and any arguement about rifles. Name me one other organzation that does this? Can't be the military because they get paid, can't be the circus because the either live in air conditioned busses of local hotels. Don't say Boy Scouts because, at most, they will camp for a weekend or week.

The whole bizarness of drum corps defies descriptions. Would anyone here, if they weren't involved with drum corps, pay thousands of dollars to travel in cramped buses and sleep on gym floors?

Edited by sburstall

how does THIS have ANY bearing on the sitation? I've never played contra, mellophone, or baritone in my life, but that doesn't mean I don't have an opinion on whether or not they should be in and help define an activity I greatly enjoy. Just because someone has never picked up a rifle doesn't mean they can't have an opinion on whether or not they want them in drum corps.

Because there are a lot who dislike rifles without having the knowledge or respect when it comes to the art of spinning it. However, there are few cases (judges)where those who have never picked up a rifle and they understand the element that it brings to a performance.

Think of all those who know nothing about Drum & Bugle corps.....they think it's nothing more than a marching band. Most people who know nothing about marching bands think they are there for the half-time entertainment only.

It just bothers me when folks throw out their opinions without knowing enough details.

I see the point about a "gun" looking odd next to pretty costumes....but I think that's becuase people see a colorguar drifle and still thing "winchester repeating" whereas I see a guard rifle and think about colorguard, NOT a real gun...for me the two couldn't be further apart...maybe I've ben able to separate the 2 in my head whereas many people still see one and thing of the other....perhaps that's why i don't think of it as odd....it'sa matter of perspective.

huh? These people you speak of have obviously never been to a gun show. :P

It's gratifying to know that by at least a 10 to 1 margin, the overwhelming majority of DCP posters that took the time to answer this poll are in favor of retaining the Rifles.

TheCidspeaks.jpg

Kmen "rifle slaps" were written into the ending of El Cid March.

McCid

Edited by McDuffy

I see London, I see France...

I read this thread. Voted yes for rifles. Tried rifle line in early 1970's but didn't have the hands. I like the sound and precision of rifles. Alberta All Girls had a rifle line off and on from 1970 - 1980, however, we did not bring rifles to Europe in 1977, just flags. That was 30 years ago. My 2 questions for 2007:

Did any North American drum corps take rifles to Europe, in recent years?

Without having to look at the International forums, do the drum corps in Japan and Europe have rifle lines? If so, which corps. Just curious. Thanks.

In addition, there are at least 3,782,469 other possible things out there to spin (how many of them haven't even been thought up?). So, why spin something that not only makes zero sense, but it modeled after something designed to kill?

I"ll take your 3,782,469 other possible things out there to spin and raise you the history of the activity.

:doh:

Whenever I show drum corps to anyone that is completely unfamiliar with the activity, two questions seem to come up pretty much every single time:

1) Why are they wearing those funny costumes (usually from non-Americans)?

2) Why are they throwing guns?

Given the fact that:

A ) Rifles make absolutely zero sense programmatically anymore

B ) Gun deaths among youth, particularly accidental, are the highest they have ever been

Isn't it time to change?

I am not suggesting that the activity outright bans them, but I am saying it isn't such a cool thing for young kids to potentially emulate (imagine the first news story of a young kid finding a real rifle, copying what they had seen, ending in tragedy).

In addition, there are at least 3,782,469 other possible things out there to spin (how many of them haven't even been thought up?). So, why spin something that not only makes zero sense, but it modeled after something designed to kill?

The activity has moved well beyond its military roots. It is time now to retire rifles in search of alternatives that are more creative, programmatically appropriate and socially responsible.

Wow you're just so PC it almost makes me ....... never mind............ May I suggest you read WGI's mission statement and then put two and two together and you should realize that the equipment is a big part of "what" defines the activity..... (Or you can blame the next school shooting on DCI) ........ Give me a break....

Wow you're just so PC it almost makes me ....... never mind............ May I suggest you read WGI's mission statement and then put two and two together and you should realize that the equipment is a big part of "what" defines the activity..... (Or you can blame the next school shooting on DCI) ........ Give me a break....

It is really funny that people are claiming that I am politically correct.

I am the most politically uncorrect person you are probably ever going to encounter.

I am not suggesting that I believe there is any connection between gun violence and spinning wooden guns.

My statements come from just looking at the activity from a very practical point.

If the activity wants to go after the big money, no whammies, rifles need to go. It isn't negotiable. It wouldn't get past the legal department of any large corporate sponsor.

Edited by danielray