Time for Rifles to Go?

Should rifles stay or go?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like rifles to stay in the activity?

• yes
    • no

Give me a break. Some kid is gonna be so inspired by drumcorps that he is gonna go and get his "pa's" rifle, go into the backyard, and start spinning it and somehow manage to shoot himself? It would be terrible if it did happen, but it's very unlikely. Hopefully, anyone who has kids and owns a firearm teaches the kid all about the gun and how it's not a toy, etc so that their curiosity won't get the better of them and so that they know not to play with it like a toy...

"Rifles" are very effective in drumcorps.

Once again... the point is not to think like a rational human being. The point is to think like:

A ) The most out-there litigation-happy crackpot

B ) A corporate legal department that is extremely hypersensitive and risk adverse from having to deal with the most out-there litigation-happy crackpots

2. The activity has interesting potential, but a lot of effort needed to be put in to shifting the perception of the general public. The suggestion was made that changing to 'less geeky costumes' (words of one of them, not me) could help a lot in this regard. Until this perception can shifted (they wanted this demonstrated in a focus group), they were concerned that it wouldn't be the right match for their brands.

I actually don't think those are unreasonable points at all, but an honest, no ########, assessment. The point of the rifles was actually brought up as I was talking one of the guys through this on the phone... he sort of joked 'I wonder if those would get past legal'. Half joke, half not. Though he is an exec now, he was on a corporate legal team for about 12 years.

Alright, then. If gun-shaped pieces of wood are that much of an issue, what about show design with overt references to violence (Spartacus is just one of many examples) or, um, lewd conduct (BD's When a Man Loves a Woman)?

We'll need design censorship to ensure we don't offend our culturally-sensitive sponsors. Imagine the Bluecoats having to scrap their 2007 show in June because it "glorifies crime", or the Cadets narration needing editing from some sponsor's legal department before a performance. I'm sorry, but this is partly an artistic activity, and like most art, it cannot cross all cultural boundaries.

I was interested in getting a 'feel' for the potential, and back when DCI had the broadcast available for free online with ESPN360, I used the opportunity to basically introduce the concept to a couple of people in the right position in different companies where I thought would be a good fit. These were people that could greenlight a sponsorship deal.

These weren't cold intros, as these were people that I have an existing relationship with, so, the feedback would be quite different then if it were cold. The feedback was quite candid. All pretty much said...

1. Come back with more solid demographics

2. The activity has interesting potential, but a lot of effort needed to be put in to shifting the perception of the general public. The suggestion was made that changing to 'less geeky costumes' (words of one of them, not me) could help a lot in this regard. Until this perception can shifted (they wanted this demonstrated in a focus group), they were concerned that it wouldn't be the right match for their brands.

I actually don't think those are unreasonable points at all, but an honest, no ########, assessment. The point of the rifles was actually brought up as I was talking one of the guys through this on the phone... he sort of joked 'I wonder if those would get past legal'. Half joke, half not. Though he is an exec now, he was on a corporate legal team for about 12 years.

Anyway, where I am getting with all of this discussion is that an unfamiliar public perception is something that should be considered if the activity is to take the next leap (the next one isn't simply a step). Any company wishing to pay the cash to attach their brand to the activity is going to care as much about the perception of those familiar with the activity as it would those unfamiliar.

For better or worse, in order to get to this level, some things about the activity are going to need to be tweaked.

I love drum corps for it's uniqueness.

I really don't want drum corps, or any art form, conforming to what will please corperate America and the masses.

If it becomes something like everything else I personally won't be interested. I think we need to promote what is unique about our activity.

(even many of us think some of the guard costumes are "geeky," not sure what we can do about that.)

Corporate America has the NFL, MLB, MLS, NHL... they don't need Drum Corps. Likewise, it's been rough going for some over the last 30 years, but we really don't need Corporate America. So give them a passing glance, nod your head if you like, but let us keep going our seperate ways.

Corporate America has the NFL, MLB, MLS, NHL... they don't need Drum Corps. Likewise, it's been rough going for some over the last 30 years, but we really don't need Corporate America. So give them a passing glance, nod your head if you like, but let us keep going our seperate ways.

Drum corps absolutely needs corporate sponsorship.

Given the ever increasing costs of fuel, food, etc. and the decline of revenue sources like bingo, without corporate sponsorship, drum corps will not survive.

Given the ever increasing costs of fuel, food, etc. and the decline of revenue sources like bingo, without corporate sponsorship, drum corps will not survive.

Yea, but how far does it go? Will "low bid" show up, losing hornlines and drumlines their good equipment for what is "cost effective"? And what about companies that make our MTXs, Dinkles, and Bandos? Would corporations support them or go a more "comfortable" route and say make do with (insert shoe name) by Nike?

Serious question. Will Corporate America be in it to HELP US, or not give two ****s, and be in it just to help THEM.

But does that mean we should give up our history; our military roots and who we are?

And how far would you go? Would you let them decide what types of music corps should play? Should they be in on the design team meetings?

OR

Should we educate people, show them our work ethic, the educational aspects, and the life lessons?

I understand we need sponsorship and your intentions are well placed. I just don't want us "selling out" and losing our corps values or uniqueness in the arts world.

But does that mean we should give up our history; our military roots and who we are?

And how far would you go? Would you let them decide what types of music corps should play? Should they be in on the design team meetings?

OR

Should we educate people, show them our work ethic, the educational aspects, and the life lessons?

I understand we need sponsorship and your intentions are well placed. I just don't want us "selling out" and losing our corps values or uniqueness in the arts world.

I also wish to refer to post 7 (page 1), post 21 (page 3), post 82 (page 9), post 353 (page 36), post 356 (page 36), post 389 (page 39) and more. I enjoyed watching rifle equipment over the years. What is etched in my memory is the sound. The audio/visual aspects of rifle lines, the precision and the burst of energy when tossed in the air adds to the allure of this equipment.

The PAST. Rifle and sabre were beside the national colours. In the beginning, indoor colour guard had no audio. No equipment was to cause issues with gymnasium floors. Rifles became the sound, the 'percussion section'. Reflectors allowed the spin to illuminate at night. Then came music with indoor guard and the shakos were removed. This allowed the flags to use more space. Flags by themselves wasn't enough. The use of flags, rifles and sabres added visual texture.

The PRESENT. Indoor colour guard introduces dance, drama and excellent visual texture while augmenting the music. Summer program flags change colour and truly use the outdoor space. IMO sabres are difficult equipment and may be replaced with equipment like that of rythmic gymnastics in an outdoor arena. If rifles can be the sound and sight again (audio/visual), an extension of the percussion, and with an understanding of it's historical origin and the fact this equipment is drum corps, then this equipment retains it's stature of being the highlight in a program. This can become the protocol in North America. If the drum corps is to travel to another continent, then protocol can be determined at that time.