Time for Rifles to Go?

Should rifles stay or go?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like rifles to stay in the activity?

• yes
    • no

Rifles have an amazing visual effect. I can't believe this topic. Now, sabers on the others hand, doesn't do anything for me. They don't have a visual effect, by themselves.

For example, take BD's rifle work from this year's show, especially from the finals night performance. It is about right near the ending of the first half of the show, where they are still in their "blues." They are spread very wide across the front and the tosses aren't the hardest, but being in sync all the way spread across like they were, was impressive. That spinning white, when the guard is wearing dark blue, really popped out.

Also, tell me that the Kingsmen rifles don't have a visual impact. Old school rifle work is awesome to watch. Spin baby spin!

Wow, amazing timming because I had this exact same conversation with someone just yesterday. I am one of those Kingsmen rifles and I agree that they do have an amazing visual effect and there is nothing I love more than a military style rifle line. I have to admit I have seen very few shows over the last few decades but as I watched DCI finals in Pasadena a couple questions kept comming to mind. Maybe some of you more current in the activity can answer these questions.

1. I didn't notice many, if any, basic fan spins done by rifles and wonder why this is. To me at least, seeing all of those rifles spinning around in unison is one of the most effective of moves. Why no basic spins?

2. If the emphasis is so much on the theme of the show, then I also wondered why rifles are still used. There has to be some other white thing that can be spun to give the same effect. It just seems to be a non-sequitor so see a color guard in a costume and moving in a style that is in no way military and still spinning rifles. The color guards have done away with marching, have done away with uniforms, have done away with military bearing, so why still use rifles?

If you choose to use something non-traditional, go for it let the masses decide. Why suggest to others whats right and whats wrong. Hoppy tried this and was blasted for it.

Just another case of trying to fix what aint broke. Bands overseas are just that, overseas. So, should all social traditions ans cultural mainstays be merged into one non descript entiy ??

I feel Drum majors have totally explored all ideas of conducting with their hands, from now on I say it should be done with their feet, while on their heads....what do you think ??

~G~

sounds like "danielray" is just being a devils advocate and trying to stir up discussion...I guess i'll give my .02

Corps do experiement with other pieces of equipment (ie, Boston 07, Cadets 01, Cavies 02)...but the rifle is a basic piece of guard vocab and technique. These experiments can allow for a greater visual effect than the rifle can offer.

Use them or not, thats the designer's discretion, but dont remove them all together. Rifles are a staple of colorguard equipment. Getting rid of rifles all together is like completely removing an instrument from the horn or drumline. That just makes no sense to me.

Hmm... I'd say I'm about the most politically incorrect person you might come across.

There is a difference between claiming something is politically incorrect or potentially dangerous/socially irresponsible.

Toy stores didn't stop stocking toy guns because of political correctness, but because of a string of lawsuits from kids copying habits of toy guns the same as real.

Why hold on to these links of the past when they no longer make sense in the current context?

many of the show themes we enjoy in drum Corps deal with superstitution,, mytholoogy, muisc from composers dead for 300 years, and so forth. Surely no one thinks that because something is old, that it be abandoned. Otherwise, as far as show themes go, 90% of the show themes would be passe. But that would be a kooky idea to adopt as well.

The argument for keeping rifles is that since everyone uses them, technique is fairly standardized and precise (I know, I know there are different sizes and weights and techniques...) and kids get training from their HS bands and winterguards. If everyone started using a differently shaped chunk of wood, that would all change.

So it doesn't have to be rifles, but who picks the new industry standard?

P.s., I love watching rifle. It's like experiencing visual math.

Agreed! with all of this here! Im pretty sure this has been used before but SCV in 2004 had those cool swords for their Scheherezade show... those had some nice effect

Your ignorance regarding a rifle is astounding. I'm not sure where you got this kooky idea, but it sure is kooky.

Well... it probably started as a cub scout learning gun safety with bb guns. Hours upon hours of target practice, courses, certifications, etc. (my mom was an avid hunter and member of the NRA).

In the context of guard... that would be in actually learning to spin/toss/whatever and writing for and teaching many guards.

Yours was a most unusual post it seems to me.

I do take that as a compliment. Thanks.

Well, everyone knows (as I'm sure you do) that the use of rifles as equipment stems from the good ol' days when the color guard actually guarded the colors with sabres and rifles.

I think that there are many things that drum corps do today that aren't necessary, but are important because they remind us of the history of drum and bugle corps

I believe that it's important to hold onto these little links to the past, even in the face of political incorrectness (or whatever you would call Daniel's arguement).

Great post! Drum corps has thrown away so much tradition lately that it would be a shame to lose rifle lines as well. Now if only guards would actually march once in a while...

• Like 1

I feel Drum majors have totally explored all ideas of conducting with their hands, from now on I say it should be done with their feet, while on their heads....what do you think ??

~G~

I think awhile ago, I had suggested simply replacing the role altogether... Just set up a red and green flashing light attached to a metronome. There is quite little musical about drum majors conducting, and that isn't much the purpose. So, why not just let it go?